Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Idiom

slipperysam

I think that idioms are great but unfortuneatly I can only remember one! Tum dee die dee tum chua die chua (do good get good do bad get bad) I think that is right.

A friend taught me one about a tiger and crocodile but for the life of me I can't remember it, anyone know the Thai for this; Escape the Tiger ( only to ) meet the Crocodile.

Any more Idioms you guys know would be great, I seem to remember the obscure, and useless things.

P.S Show us your Chong Kloot :hello09:

I once had a book on Thai Idioms, but can't remember what happened to it. Actually they have pretty much the same idioms as we do except they're (naturally) worded a bit differently to fit their culture/environment. For example we have one about carrying coals to Newcastle; or selling sand to the Arabs. Thais have one about taking coconuts to sell at the farm/orchard.

I like the one "wua gay gin ya oon" - the old bull eats the young grass - I suppose in English that equates to robbing the cradle.

I remember once reading a book on Chinese idioms but they were so long winded and rambled on forever before getting to the point. All full of flowery talk and then at the end of about 20 pages I think - yeah, that's "Don't cross your bridges until you get to them" or that's "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" Fortunately the Thai idioms are usually one-liners.

Have a look here for lots of Thai proverbs:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/589868

The one about the tiger and the crocodile is also there:

หนีเสือปะจระเข้ Nee Seua, Bpa Jorakeh, meaning: Out of the frying pan, into The fire

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Have a look here for lots of Thai proverbs:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/589868

The one about the tiger and the crocodile is also there:

หนีเสือปะจระเข้ Nee Seua, Bpa Jorakeh, meaning: Out of the frying pan, into The fire

Thats the one Nee Sua Bpa Jorakeh, there are hundreds on that website, getting out the pencil and paper to copy down some of the easy ones, thanks slick

Edited by slipperysam

"To shit like an elephant." — "Too big for your britches." fucking love it, got to remember that one...lol

I'll lower the tone of things with a couple that made me smile...

Transliteration: Hen chaang khee khee dtaam chaang

Literal: See an elephant shit and try to shit as much.

Meaning: To keep up with the Joneses.

Transliteration: Kum khee dee kwa kum tod

Literal: Grabbing shit is better than grabbing farts.

Meaning: Having something is better than having nothing.