Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

air asia, baggage allowance advice

Soi Six Snatch Sniffer

i am flying to ubon from bangkok on my next trip and have not paid any extra for baggage as yet, the website was very ambiguous in its description of charges for hand luggage, my question is simple fellas, do i have to pay for my hand luggage (only going for 2 days so should be travelling very light, will only have a ruck sack with me). those of you that know me know that i am certainly not tight but i air on the side of frugalness, thanks in advance. big reg (just in case of any confusion)

Edited by BigReg

Air asia are very strict on weight and size of luggage, make sure you hand luggage is of the right size, they are quite cheap if you do every thing online, luggage booked online is about 50% less than doing it at the airport, i did not pay anything for hand luggage last year, but they checked the weight and made sure it was the right size.

handbag 7 kilo + laptop case OR handbag allowed

Edited by david555

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

handbag allowed

That's good Greg... You will still be able to carry your handbag rather than dropping it every five minutes like you normally do.

I flew last week to Udon and it was very strict, 7kg on hand luggage including camera bag and laptop. So make sure you are not over unless you want to pay.

aptop is not counted in the 7 kilo =extra allowed remark WITH

cabin.rtf

Edited by david555

Agrred - LAPTOP bag is NOT counted.

I have flown dozens of times with them with a laptop BAG stuffed with shoes, cameras, ipads, phones, all chargers, laptop, socks, underwear etc AND a carry on bag at 7 kilos.

The laptop bag can actually weigh MORE than the carry on, because IT DOESNT COUNT !

By the way or (weigh!) - now AIR ASIA has autobooth check ins, if you carry only a carry on, it doesn't get checked for weight either, because you don't have to go any where near the desk or staff !

I have flown dozens of times with them with a laptop BAG stuffed with shoes, cameras, ipads, phones, all chargers, laptop, socks, underwear etc AND a carry on bag at 7 kilos.

The laptop bag can actually weigh MORE than the carry on, because IT DOESNT COUNT !

By the way or (weigh!) - now AIR ASIA has autobooth check ins, if you carry only a carry on, it doesn't get checked for weight either, because you don't have to go any where near the desk or staff !

Even you print your boarding pass yourself i did even weeks before departure date , but anyway i pass counter for check documents as i do not like running last moment on boarding back somewhere In case something should be forgotten , .... you know they are Asians ....... :Think1:

Edited by david555

Well....as good advice as this is, I must add a correction!

Not always, but sometimes they will weight at the gate before boarding, or even before entering immigration! (LCCT)

I fly AA always now I only travel to Asia from Qld. I work at Airports. I know a few inside tricks and my advice is as follows:

• 'Main bag' for carry on: Get a BACKPACK and stuff it with light gear to around 7kg. (..often a little over is acceptable) I have a 40litre lightweight backpack that meets the size requirements for carry on. REMEMBER...7kg only! next;
  • Laptop bag...: Well, already discussed well here my K'root! But...don't make it obvious or you will be hit up! next;
  • BumBag/Fannypak: PAKSAFE brand is good for security of your essentials like passport, cash, phone etc..! You can wear it behind you to hide bulkyness as mine holds a lot of shit! next;
  • Shoulder-sling bag: under your longsleeve shirt: Holds even more & all they think is that you're another farang fat bastard! (..only needs to be viewed when going through x-ray! Airline don't see this, just security. next;
  • Multi-pocket travel attire: SHOES worn to reduce weight / Zip-off leg cargo pants to reduce weight & carry more shit! Plus...combo oftions whilst away..(longs & shorts) / Long sleeve multi pocket shirt for carrying more shit & layering your clothes to reduce carry-on weight / UnderArmour T-shirt to combat sweating under a regular T-shirt. (REMEMBER..., Layering to prevent kilos in your bag(s) / also.....Scottyvest lightweight jacket that is multi-pocket for holding more shit, even iPads!! Comes in handy too if you head up to the hills with little warm clothing!!

Anyway, I'll cut it there! I dont ALWAYS travel like this, but if I had to take maximum shit without checking in bags....., then this is my M.O!

Why bother to go to this extreme you say? Well...it's as simple as this for me: '..I HATE waiting around airports! Even for luggage!

When I hit LCCT in KL (..for example..), the fucking immigration line is bad enough, so to be able to skip out of there as soon as I can....well...I go to this amount of trouble! Plus...it's kinda fun to see what I can get away with! hehehe

Some good products to Google for the thrifty traveller:

• Sampsonite luggage / BlackWolf backpacks / Carrabee.
  • PacSafe bumbags, wallets, and portable room safes.
  • Scotivest apparell for multi-pocket clothing / UnderAmour for keeping cool / Salomon shoes/sandles.
  • Asus tablet instead of laptop! (I'm anti-Apple as I dont like to be restricted to the one brand!)
  • Blackberry phone for Asia travels! (texting, email, and cam fun of LBFMs!) :)
  • You can also save time by having local currency, immigration cards already filled, & online check-ins!)

Yeah.....it's a passion!

Later! :hello09:

Mick!

Hurry up! It ain't gunna suck itself!!

May I share a few tricks that I myself use. This is when you are restricted to 1 carry-on bag of 7 kg.

1. Buy the lightest bag you can find. Just make sure the clips (hinges) for the shoulder strap are good quality. Everything else should be as light as possible. The bag I use weights a paltry 0.5 kilos. A good quality bag with proper shoulder strap, heavy duty zippers, lots of pockets, etc. can easily weight 2 kilos empty. That's 2 kilos out of your 7 kilos.

2. Buy a small, portable scale. The kind you hold in your hand, and you weigh your bag by hanging it off it. That way you know precisely how much stuff you have. For the outbound flight, I like to come in around 5.5 kilos, as it seems I always have more crap with me on the way back.

3. Have 1 pair of all-purpose shoes. I have a pair of nice Crocs. Can be worn as street shoes, but comfortable enough to be worn as slippers in the bedroom. Saves weight by not having to pack an extra pair of shoes.

4. Buy an iPad. Not only is it lighter than a laptop computer, you can load books in electronic format onto it, thereby saving you the weight of paper books/magazines.

thanks so much for the advice, i wont have a laptop bag with me anyway but i am only going for 2 dyas so i reckon i can fit all that i need in my ruck sack and not go over the 7kilo

Well....as good advice as this is, I must add a correction!

Not always, but sometimes they will weight at the gate before boarding, or even before entering immigration! (LCCT)

I fly AA always now I only travel to Asia from Qld. I work at Airports. I know a few inside tricks and my advice is as follows:

• 'Main bag' for carry on: Get a BACKPACK and stuff it with light gear to around 7kg. (..often a little over is acceptable) I have a 40litre lightweight backpack that meets the size requirements for carry on. REMEMBER...7kg only! next;
  • Laptop bag...: Well, already discussed well here my K'root! But...don't make it obvious or you will be hit up! next;
  • BumBag/Fannypak: PAKSAFE brand is good for security of your essentials like passport, cash, phone etc..! You can wear it behind you to hide bulkyness as mine holds a lot of shit! next;
  • Shoulder-sling bag: under your longsleeve shirt: Holds even more & all they think is that you're another farang fat bastard! (..only needs to be viewed when going through x-ray! Airline don't see this, just security. next;
  • Multi-pocket travel attire: SHOES worn to reduce weight / Zip-off leg cargo pants to reduce weight & carry more shit! Plus...combo oftions whilst away..(longs & shorts) / Long sleeve multi pocket shirt for carrying more shit & layering your clothes to reduce carry-on weight / UnderArmour T-shirt to combat sweating under a regular T-shirt. (REMEMBER..., Layering to prevent kilos in your bag(s) / also.....Scottyvest lightweight jacket that is multi-pocket for holding more shit, even iPads!! Comes in handy too if you head up to the hills with little warm clothing!!

Anyway, I'll cut it there! I dont ALWAYS travel like this, but if I had to take maximum shit without checking in bags....., then this is my M.O!

Why bother to go to this extreme you say? Well...it's as simple as this for me: '..I HATE waiting around airports! Even for luggage!

When I hit LCCT in KL (..for example..), the fucking immigration line is bad enough, so to be able to skip out of there as soon as I can....well...I go to this amount of trouble! Plus...it's kinda fun to see what I can get away with! hehehe

Some good products to Google for the thrifty traveller:

• Sampsonite luggage / BlackWolf backpacks / Carrabee.
  • PacSafe bumbags, wallets, and portable room safes.
  • Scotivest apparell for multi-pocket clothing / UnderAmour for keeping cool / Salomon shoes/sandles.
  • Asus tablet instead of laptop! (I'm anti-Apple as I dont like to be restricted to the one brand!)
  • Blackberry phone for Asia travels! (texting, email, and cam fun of LBFMs!) :)
  • You can also save time by having local currency, immigration cards already filled, & online check-ins!)

Yeah.....it's a passion!

Later! :hello09:

Mick!

wow, i really was not expecting such an indepth answer but its really appreciated, i shall take a few tips from you here for future trips i am sure but like i said before, i am only going for 2 dyas so i think i will be fine with the 7 kilo, your post is not in vain though because like i said, i will take note of all your advice for any future trips. thanks.

May I share a few tricks that I myself use. This is when you are restricted to 1 carry-on bag of 7 kg.

1. Buy the lightest bag you can find. Just make sure the clips (hinges) for the shoulder strap are good quality. Everything else should be as light as possible. The bag I use weights a paltry 0.5 kilos. A good quality bag with proper shoulder strap, heavy duty zippers, lots of pockets, etc. can easily weight 2 kilos empty. That's 2 kilos out of your 7 kilos.

2. Buy a small, portable scale. The kind you hold in your hand, and you weigh your bag by hanging it off it. That way you know precisely how much stuff you have. For the outbound flight, I like to come in around 5.5 kilos, as it seems I always have more crap with me on the way back.

3. Have 1 pair of all-purpose shoes. I have a pair of nice Crocs. Can be worn as street shoes, but comfortable enough to be worn as slippers in the bedroom. Saves weight by not having to pack an extra pair of shoes.

4. Buy an iPad. Not only is it lighter than a laptop computer, you can load books in electronic format onto it, thereby saving you the weight of paper books/magazines.

again, thanks for the advice, i have seen those scale things for sale in asda, not too expensive so next time i am in there i will buy one, cheers.

Pretty sure they have recently started an option to add baggage after the initial booking.

So if you decide to take baggage (between initial booking and day of the flight) you can still do it :

Log into the site under booking code and add this extra. Same price as during an initial booking , and cheaper than the day of flight airport fee.

They went through a phase about a year ago where they weighed everything at check in, and even worse they did it again at the gate before you got on the flight.

I think with all this online / self check in, it may start up again.

However, at this time they are not weighing at the gate - I have done few domestic flights and they did not check it. So a smallish shoulder bag weighing 10kg should be OK. But if it is a case on rollers they might want to weigh it.

Also be aware :

For domestic flights : web check in / print out own boarding pass does not need a documents check - go straight to gate.

For int flights : web check in / print out own boarding pass DOES need documents check at the first counter in the AirAsia check in area. Thankfully AirAsia have sorted out this mess and that counter is stricitly for documents check so you should not have to queue with the hundreds of other people at the counters.