IGNORED

Any Vegan places in BBK, Chiang Mai or other cities

wants2marrybargirl

Just curious if their are any vegan places in Thailand. I eat meat, but I usually go Vegan most days. Just wondering.

• 1 month later...

Just curious if their are any vegan places in Thailand. I eat meat, but I usually go Vegan most days. Just wondering.

If it is still there, the place on the corner of Third Road and South Pattaya Road is superb. It doesn't look much but the food is fantastic. It is mentioned in this post:

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/26556-veggie-food/page__p__415361#entry415361

Address below:

To ask for what you want, get to grips with the Thai words for the Thai concepts of non-meat non-fish based cuisine: "Mangsawirat" is something close to what westerners might call Vegetarian, and "Jeh" or "Jay" is close to what we would call Vegan.

The dairy products problem is just not a problem in the first place for vegans, as Thais eat very little dairy and it doesn't really form a common ingredient for cooking.

So:

to say "I eat vegetarian" it would be "(pom) kin mangsawirat"

to say "I eat vegan" it would be "(pom) kin jeh"

Fish sauce turns up in practically everything, so have this phrase handy: "mai sai nam plaa" which means "don't use fish sauce" and if you say it after one or other of the first things your waitress will get the message and may even help you order.

If you routinely do this but are not absolutist about it, some thai people may think you are selectively denying yourself meat as an act of atonement. Be prepared to be asked how long you have been this way. If it's many years, their reaction will either be:

1. What a lovely, sensitive and caring person you must be, in order to want to do that (most westerners have no real concept of atonement).

or

2. What are you atoning for? You must have done something pretty bad if it takes years. What kind of monster are you?

313/37 Moo 10 Pattaya 3rd Rd

Tel (0)38 421 105 or 723 658

Edited by Professor Yaffle

There are 3 on 3rd road Patts. One is on the left just before the bridge on 3rd road if you're heading to Jomtien. Other is actually on Pattaya Tai right on the corner of 3rd road. Other is on 3rd road between Pattaya Klang & Pattaya Nua. There's another on Pattaya Nua opposite the big gem shop. yet another in Na Khlua market. In general vegi food (Jae) is fairly hard to find in meat-eating Buddhist Thailand, outside the obvious places like BKK, Patts, Phuket, HatYai it virtually disappears. Most provincial capitals have maybe just 1 or 2 vegi restaurants, many towns have none at all.

I do not think I could ever be a Vegan. I like to lick pussy to much.

My cousin is vegan and lived in Chiang Mai for 6 months 18 months ago and she had no dramas getting food.....

I do not think I could ever be a Vegan. I like to lick pussy to much.

LOL. I'm vegetarian and a few Thai gals have made jokes about that to me. I start going down and they close their legs shut tight and say - i thought you don't eat meat...lol

theres alot of good vegetarian/vegan restaurants in both bkk and chiang mai, no worries

one of my fav in bkk is maykadee , its also veryy cheap

http://www.maykaidee.com/restaurants

that one is tourist directed but there is also alot of really cheap small vegetarian places that do the fake meat things that seem to tend more to locals as some of these dont even have the word vegetarian anywhere in english.. found one like that i chiangmai that you could just point to a few dishes and they load up yr plate with more than you can eat for 25-30 bhat . i was shocked at the cheap price and actually tipped the place many times ( unusual behaviour ;;)

there is so many places i dont remember name of but just take a look at this usual site for anywhere in the world

http://www.happycow.net

for bkk>

http://www.happycow.net/gmaps/searchmap.php?distance=15&x=0&y=0&address=bangkok&lat=&lon=

LOL. I'm vegetarian and a few Thai gals have made jokes about that to me. I start going down and they close their legs shut tight and say - i thought you don't eat meat...lol

im veg too ,many times girls are confused im vegetarian but still have sex, cause vegetarianism is monk´s buisness in their mind there is no other reason to be a vegetarian apparently :D

In my experience it's not Thais who are interested in vegetarianism but Chinese & Chinese-Thais. So 9 times out of 10 if you're in a vegi restaurant in Thailand look for the Chinese-style Buddhist shrine on the floor in a corner. Also Indians have their vegetarian food. In the west vegetarianism is usually about health food. But in Asia it's all about religion. Any city in Thailand that has a sizeable Chinese population - BKK, Pattaya, Phuket, HatYai - will have several vegi restaurants. Go to out of the way Thai towns and it pretty well vanishes. It sure is cheap food, often a plate of brown rice with 2 or 3 tasty vegi toppings can cost 30-40Bt. I can eat 2 or 3 vegi meals a day and spend about 100Bt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In my experience Chinese vegetarian restaurants (jay) are over-priced and I find the fake meat practice creepy. Better to just ask for whatever non-fleshfood ingredients you want , cooked in a normal restaurant. But you can't be ritualistic puritan about it as of course the utensils etc will be 'impure'. I recommend the Santi Asok mangsavirat canteen near Chatuchak market behind the antique and book shops off _____ road. The challenge of all these religious rather than ethically motivated places is they close rather early, like 3 pm.

Edited by hermespan

• 3 weeks later...

I've been vegan for 20 years - zero issues. Eat fresh fruit and veggies, and LoS is the perfect place for quality and cheap fruit.

Not to be a wordsmith, but one doesn't "go vegan" on certain days, either you are or are not. More accurate, would be you eat a plant based diet certain days.

--

The only good job is a blow job!