IGNORED

Tips to charge/keep phone charge on the plane

Lcc

Hi guys,

Obviously with the amount that phones can do these days they do a good job of keeping us entertained even in flight mode on the planes these days.

So how do you guys go about keeping charge of your phones on a flight? I've looked into getting another battery but was wondering if there's any cheaper way than forking out £16 or so on a new battery when I only really need it for 1 long haul flight a year,

Any other tips? I've looked into charging the phone on the plane but I don't think it's possible in cattle class with Malaysian Airlines.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on your phone you have a couple of choices. Iphones and a few of the Androids have charger cases avail (case with built in battery pack) the ones i have seen are pretty slim considering they extend battery life by close on 2X. The text addicted types at work use these with great success, great no mess no fuss solution for heavy users. There are plenty of the energiser style back up packs avail with multiple adapters, personally i dont find them that cheap and not very convenient but ok for once or twice a year. Other than that buy a new battery, unless its a Apple shop replace job hit up ebay for a chinese generic replacement, i dont know about UK prices but generally 1/2 or less of local OZ price including shipping.

Blue Sky Group Ban Chang 0861415944 

https://www.facebook.com/Blue-Sky-Group-Ban-Chang-110095910415280

Hi guys,

Obviously with the amount that phones can do these days they do a good job of keeping us entertained even in flight mode on the planes these days.

So how do you guys go about keeping charge of your phones on a flight? I've looked into getting another battery but was wondering if there's any cheaper way than forking out £16 or so on a new battery when I only really need it for 1 long haul flight a year,

Any other tips? I've looked into charging the phone on the plane but I don't think it's possible in cattle class with Malaysian Airlines.

Cheers!

Make sure you turn off bluetooth and WiFi, and lower the brightness level of the screen. Also kill any background programs or processes.

Basically, turn off everything except for what you're using right then (I assume either video viewer or mp3 player).

Edited by DMustang

Make sure you turn off bluetooth and WiFi, and lower the brightness level of the screen. Also kill any background programs or processes.

Basically, turn off everything except for what you're using right then (I assume either video viewer or mp3 player).

Yep thats the way to go and also top up at the Airport before getting on Plane.

You can also ask the Trolley Dollys nicely they may do it for you.

Make sure you have a PA Wristband on i may spot it and come back from Biz and do it for you in one of my seat sockets 555

• 2 weeks later...

My charger cable plugs into a USB, so I have a little $4 flashlight that also has a USB out charge port and takes standard AA batteries. Throw a few batteries in the bag and I can charge the phone from them.

http://www.amazon.co...28148988&sr=8-2

Edited by tko

Hi guys,

Cheers!

Not sure either. You can check Seat Guru for seat maps that display where power points are on any given type of aircraft.

You need to check your ticket for the type of aircraft (ie Boeing 777-200. etc) and then check Seat Guru.

If there are power ports then you can sometimes check in online and pick your seat...with a power port.

Having said all this, I recall MH not having any on my last flight with them but that was a while ago in an old plane.

I am sure on the safety announcement before the plane takes off, states that all mobile phones are to be switched off, even with flight mode, until the plane has landed at the destination and you will be instructed when its safe to turn them on again.

The best engine in the world is the vagina. It can be started with one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And changes its own oil every four weeks. It is only a pity that the management system is so fucking temperamental.

You can't use a phone on the airplane. Especially over ocean, you can't make a phone call or use wifi as there is no signal.

Why not turn it off?

I am sure on the safety announcement before the plane takes off, states that all mobile phones are to be switched off, even with flight mode, until the plane has landed at the destination and you will be instructed when its safe to turn them on again.

You can't use a phone on the airplane. Especially over ocean, you can't make a phone call or use wifi as there is no signal.

Why not turn it off?

You can use a phone in Airplane mode after electronics are allowed after takeoff. You switch to Airplane mode before you turn it

off for the takeoff, and then it's already in Airplane mode when you start it back up.

As far as WiFi, there are many airlines that have in-flight WiFi access, for laptops, tablets, etc. I've used it myself on a few flights,

works great for low impact web surfing or e-mail. Just don't expect to stream Netflix vids or anything.

You can use a phone in Airplane mode after electronics are allowed after takeoff. You switch to Airplane mode before you turn it

off for the takeoff, and then it's already in Airplane mode when you start it back up.

As far as WiFi, there are many airlines that have in-flight WiFi access, for laptops, tablets, etc. I've used it myself on a few flights,

works great for low impact web surfing or e-mail. Just don't expect to stream Netflix vids or anything.

Is this true? I wasnt aware that wifi was already available. That means I can surf PA whilst 10kms in the sky?

Is this true? I wasnt aware that wifi was already available. That means I can surf PA whilst 10kms in the sky?

Depends upon the airline and the specific plane, but it is available fairly often these days.

You are spending thousands on flights accomadation birds food etc; and your worried about 16 quid for another battery.....hahahahaha

I have 3 batteries for my phone.

You should buy once and never have life challenging dilemma's like this ;-)

Pattayarox

You are spending thousands on flights accomadation birds food etc; and your worried about 16 quid for another battery.....hahahahaha

I have 3 batteries for my phone.

You should buy once and never have life challenging dilemma's like this ;-)

Pattayarox

Depends upon if the phone as a removable battery. iPhones do not...

Like a few others mentioned, fully charge your phone before you fly, switch to "airplane mode" when in the air and many of the background programs are turned off and not eating your battery and look into either a portable phone charger or just get extra phone batteries.

• 4 months later...

The in flight entertainment system on Malaysian Airlines is pretty good, kill a few hours watching a couple of movies and drinking a few beers then get your head down and you shouldn't need to turn the phone on.

You are correct about there being no power points in economy on MAS.

The in flight entertainment system on Malaysian Airlines is pretty good, kill a few hours watching a couple of movies and drinking a few beers then get your head down and you shouldn't need to turn the phone on.

You are correct about there being no power points in economy on MAS.

Recently flew MH (from Melbourne) on a new or refurbished plane and every seat in economy had a usb port, although I didnt use it.

Recently flew MH (from Melbourne) on a new or refurbished plane and every seat in economy had a usb port, although I didnt use it.

Unfortunately they are still using older 747-400 on the London route with the older, but still very good, IFE.

Malaysia are starting to use an A380 three times per week from Heathrow and I'm guessing there will be power points or at least the ability to charge the phone by a USB lead from the IFE.

I am assuming that it's Heathrow you are flying from as you come from Halifax. I know that area quite well as I used to live on a canal boat down Sowerby Bridge. If it's Halifax, Canada you hail from ignore everything I've posted.