Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Woman caught smuggling 1.5kg of cocaine in her dreadlocks on flight to Bangkok

benny31

Woman caught smuggling 1.5kg of cocaine in her DREADLOCKS on flight to Bangkok

Daily Mail (UK) Source

• The smuggled cocaine had a street value of £93,000
  • Nolubabalo, 23, was hired as a drug mule for £1,200
  • Judges in Thailand can impose the death penalty for drug traffickers

A woman was caught trying to smuggle 1.5 kilograms of cocaine in her dreadlocks on a flight to Bangkok, it was reported today.

South African Nobanda Nolubabalo, 23, was arrested and held in Thailand's capital yesterday after customs officers allegedly noticed a suspicious white substance in her hair.

Officials later carried out a search and discovered she had allegedly matted the Class A drug into her dreadlocks before boarding a flight from Brazil.

AA1.jpg

Arrested: South African Nobanda Nolubabalo held at customs in Bangkok as police check her dreadlocks

Thailand's Bangkok Post reported that the smuggled cocaine had a street value of £93,000 (4.5 million baht).

The newspaper reported: 'Authorities found something unusual about her dreadlocks.

'A search found traces of white substance which turned out to be cocaine.

'A total of 1.5kg of cocaine was found hidden in her hair.'

Nolubabalo was today being held in custody after being held at Bangkok's international Suvarnabhumi Airport as she disembarked a Qatar Airways flight which had come from Sao Paolo via Doha.

AA2.jpg

Testing: Officials carried out a search and discovered she had allegedly matted the Class A drug into her dreadlocks

AA3.jpg

The evidence: Officials laid the cocaine matted dreadlocks on a table in Bangkok customs for testing

The Bangkok Post reported that the suspect had allegedly admitted trying to smuggle the drug and claimed she had done so after being hired to work as a drug mule by a Thailand-based businessman for £1,200 (60,000 baht).

Thailand has some of the toughest anti-drugs laws on the planet, with judges permitted to impose the death penalty for traffickers.

The South African's arrest follows the execution of another South African citizen this week for drug smuggling in China.

Janice Linden, 38, was killed by lethal injection on Monday after she was caught in November 2008 trying to smuggle 3kg of crystal meth into the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou.

South Africa's president Jacob Zuma appealed unsuccessfully to the Chinese government to commute the sentence before she was put to death in prison.

AA4.jpg

ough law: Thailand has some of the toughest anti-drugs laws on the planet, with judges permitted to impose the death penalty for traffickers

AA5.jpg

Drug mule: The South African woman was only paid £1,200 to smuggle the cocaine, which had a street value of £93,000

owch. if you do the crime you take the risk of doing the time. the death penalty is a possibility, wow. kind of a deterrent

The Thailand based businessman will not be doing any time. Its the mule ( how desparate can one be to try this for 60 000B? ) who's life is over. The businessman will just find another victim

Not sure it is being deperate that drove her but more Greed.

She took a Gamble and lost but how many times did it pay off for her or others ?

Bye bye home Hello Bangkok and this Trip is not going to need a Visa

I never fail to be shocked when these mules try to smuggle drugs. The risk is so great. Because a lot of the time its the dealer themselves ratting them out so other mules can walk free. Secondly most of these mules stand out like sore thumbs. What business did this woman have in BKK? The deck as stacked against her. I would rather be homeless eating out of trashcans than try to make a quick buck smuggling drugs. Even though it's colossally stupid to smuggle drugs into Southeast Asia I pity these people.

The few and the hidden rule the many and the seen.

All The Colors: A novel about Thailand and the search for life beyond Corporate America

Kindle App for PC

Kindle App for Mac

supermini5.jpg

Now she'll be able to hide 1.5kg of cockroaches in her damn hair

Stevie

Just last week another South African woman was executed in China for drug smuggling... Sadly South Africa is becoming a well worn route between East and West in the drug trade...

It's a bit dumb to risk it in countries with such tough anti-drug laws as well

Did the lady receive the death penalty?

That was an expensive haircut...!!

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

we dont know the full story, they could have her family or something like that. extreme situations make us do extreme things

Risk your life for 60000 THB. Many people are not aware about the heavy penalties. If she don't get the death sentence she will be locked up for more than 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

we dont know the full story, they could have her family or something like that. extreme situations make us do extreme things

well said m8

I never fail to be shocked when these mules try to smuggle drugs. The risk is so great.

But the risk of getting caught is tiny. Drug mules have been used for a long time and vast, VAST majority of them do not get caught.

I've taken some flights that by all accounts would be very suspicious. (1 week stays Miami-Colombia) and if I decided to carry something 'extra' on me it would be a trouble free trip. There is very minimal checks performed. Another example; just about the only time you hear of someone getting caught because they swallowed 100 condoms of cocaine is when one of the condoms brakes and they get sick at the airport... but the other 1000 before him, you never hear about.

Anyone watch the Locked Up Abroad/Banged up Abroad show? It deals with these sorts of stories a lot....

Yeah, those shows run on National Geographic here in Belgium. It's not always a black and white situation, if you know what I mean...

As some have said we dont know the full story, but its hard to believe that when asked to 'mule' drugs to these countries they wouldnt look up and see what the sort of penalties are if caught.

Trafficing to SE Asia is common knowledge that it carries a hefty sentence if caught.

She should of took them into the UK, where she would of got a slap on the wrist, asylum and a nice new house!!!!

Just very dumb lost of life for someone else trying to make a big buck!

The Thailand based businessman will not be doing any time. Its the mule ( how desparate can one be to try this for 60 000B? ) who's life is over. The businessman will just find another victim

I wouldn't call her a victim, more like a willing stooge

A very young life cut short by a reckless decision I cannot help but feel sorry for her purely because she is soo young and to think she was only doing it for 60000 baht ! A very desperate young woman .

• 1 year later...

Another 2 greedy brit girls nabbed at Lima Airport, Peru.

Pathetic pleading from these 'Mules' on worldwide tv News that they were were forced to do it,Blah, Blah, Blah...Mind Fingers girls - SLAM (at best).

Just very dumb lost of life for someone else trying to make a big buck!

what big buck..a poxy 60,000฿ it's only a days wages for pity sake...I feel sorry for her, a young kid who made a big mistake

Another 2 greedy brit girls nabbed at Lima Airport, Peru.Pathetic pleading from these 'Mules' on worldwide tv News that they were were forced to do it,Blah, Blah, Blah...Mind Fingers girls - SLAM (at best).

totally agree with you, these two are a different kettle of fish, saying they were forced to do it, load of shite, what was to stop them screaming at the chek in and security would be all over them, then thay could have explained there situation and been saved! No they wanted to do it for easy money and got fucked

Archived