IGNORED

Does humidity kill you there

vic11427

I've never found the heat or humidity much of an issue in Thailand. I used to think that Thai's must be used to it but they sweat just like the rest of us.

Luckily in Pattaya, being beachside there is often a nice breeze, or a rain shower in the afternoon makes it superb temperature in the evenings.

My best suggestion for the hottest-humid part of the day - get a 2 hour massage, then get some zzzz's as you will need them, or a nice airconditioned bar..

Its pretty good at the moment, nice breeze most days and humidity not too bad. The sun is blazing hot in the middle of the day though so not hard to get burnt. My TG last night wanted the blanket on she was pretty chilled after the short ride home on the motorbike.

It's "winter" at the moment and really quite cool compared to the rest of the year. Most Thai girls are wearing jackets and complaining about the "cold"!

it can be quite oppressive during the rainy season but mostly due to the heat. In terms of humidity I think it's less bothersome than in some other tropical regions during the wet season (e.g. Americas or Caribbean).

At the moment it's actually quite pleasant I would say and keeps that way until Feb at least. Often hot when clear but no humidity issues.

Rather to be in Humidity than be in a freezing cold in Ireland.. Most Bars and Condo/Hotel have Aircon... If Humidity had taken its toll go in there...

Edited by jocky king

Its really not that bad once you get used to hit. Its real bad in april though. Best time to come is during December. The weather is beautiful.

this country is not that humid, it's just hot! Even in this weather, you hardy see Thai people break a sweat!

Depends what you are doing and where you come from ref the Humidty.

Far worse places in the World where it really does suck you Dry IMO

If you find it hard most places have AC to nip into and Cool off and with Pats being on the Coast a lot of the time it has a slight breeze and along with the Sea limits high humidity.

I reckon I probably have a Shower each time I return to my room but even in my Young fit days was a sweating pig and you cannot beat standing under that shower after getting in from some daily walkabouts.

Thank God many Bars still hand out those cool Cold Towels on arrival 5555 even been known to have a wipe around my Sweating John Thomas and Knackers Mmmmmmm Bliss

During my 1st trip I used to sweat like Thaksin & have the air-con on 18C but after 6 months living here I've worked my way up to 27C; below 25C I start to shiver! The seasons have been a bit screwed up this year & there are always daily / weekly variations. I was in Pattaya last month & didn't sweat an atom but since I came back to Bangkok it's been sweat city as the evaporation of the flood water has kept the humidity at 101%

sgu_banner.gif

I like to wear jeans (chicken legs) and it is a big problem when walking aroung during the day in Pattaya.

Do yourself a favour, get some decent shorts, or linen pants, they make all the difference.

Plus the accessability of shorts can't be overrated when in the Go Go bars.

Most people adapt to life in the tropics pretty quickly. Here are a few tips, though:

1. Don't overdo the aircon. By all means give it the occasional blast to cool the room down, but if you live in an air conditioned bubble you will never adapt.
  2. Wear sensible (i.e. lightweight) clothes, and use lots of sunblock. If you are out in the sun for any length of time, then try not to expose much naked skin. If it isn't covered by clothes then cover it with sunblock. A hat might be a sound investment.
  3. Don't get dehydrated. You need to drink a lot more water in the tropics than in temperate climes - so you should get in to the habit of regularly drinking water during the day. Alcohol is very dehydrating, so if you are boozing, remember to drink water as well. If you forget to do this you might well find that hangovers can be really bad in the tropics.
  4. Shade is your friend! During the day, either carry your own shade with you (e.g. a hat) or get in to the habit of walking on the shady side of the street.
  5. Until you do get used to the heat and humidity, take it easy out of doors. This is particularly true if you are an active type - if you go in for long walks or play any sports then plan for more breaks in the shade - and do remember to keep drinking.

As others have observed, if you are in Thailand in the cool period (roughly December to February), then it is mostly very pleasant. However, in the summer it can be brutally hot and humid. I live in the tropics, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest any more - but it does take a bit of getting used to.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

April is just the worst month: so fucking hot and humid!!!

I remember spent 4 days in bangkok, took shower but after 2 minutes needed another one. Just walking make you sweat...

But now is a good time.

I've been in september this year and it was bearable...

April is just the worst month: so fucking hot and humid!!!

I remember spent 4 days in bangkok, took shower but after 2 minutes needed another one. Just walking make you sweat...

But now is a good time.

I've been in september this year and it was bearable...

Try working in Bangkok! Commuting to work in a shirt and tie in April is not fun, but is still preferable to working in London!

OH i forgot to mention ,the beer will make you piss sweat too! NOT to be confused with humidity.

Bangkok is 1 of the most humid city's in the world,first week there kills me does take a little getting used to but thailand as a whole is humid

Its actually been very cool the last week or so, no humidity to speak of. It was only 25 deg in my room last night, the security guard was rugged up like he was in the arctic. There has been a strong breeze blowing almost every day and its been very pleasant.

The humidity here during the summer can be brutal, 60%+ coupled with temps in the mid to high 90's and up. (since the OP is a fellow American, it's Fahrenheit, thumbs down @ celsius!)

The coastal breezes make a huge difference though, as other posters have stated. However there are places, such as along a wall within some poorly designed beerbars, where deader air makes it especially stifling during times of higher humidity.

Being native to the southeastern US, as well as slim, makes it much easier to deal with for me. Likewise, as a nondrinker staying hydrated is much easier to do.

It really is funny to me to see many Thais bundling-up so when the temperature drops to the low 70's like it has been here in Pattaya lately. They simply aren't accustomed to the colder winter temperatures that so many of us take for granted in our home countries.

Additionally, the aforementioned strong breezes of late have made for some fairly choppy seas too.

Hope this helps satiate some curiosity.

Peace,

TM