Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Renting mobile phone or purchase?

Lostpack3t

Hi All,

There has been lots of discussion regarding sim cards and use of own phones. What I would like to know, is it worth renting a mobile handset/sim such as those found at the airport stalls?

Anyone done this before? What is the cost? What hand sets are available? What is the process? Rent from airport or somewhere in Pattaya?

Or is it simply better to bring or buy your own handset and buy a thai sim?

Thanks,

Brett

Bring your own if it is unlocked. If not you can buy a basic, dual sim, unlocked one in Tukcom for 600-1000 baht. Then buy a thai sim for 100 baht or whatever. Don't see the point of renting one. Just another potential rip off situation if you damage or lose it.

I was in Pattaya in november and I bought a used iphone at tuk.com for 650 baht ( 22 US) and they(a couple of hotties) sold me a sim for 100 baht (3.30 US) and it had 50 minutes on it, and they did it for me , cause this is new to me. after that I got a hot girl at 7/11 to put 300 baht on it for me, it cost 1 baht (3.3cents) per minute to talk to my family in Canada, the girl at my hotel said she would have to bill me 9 baht 30 cents) per minute from my room phone.

I bought a cheap phone off of ebay at home which was unlocked and used a sim card. I bought a sim card when I hit the airport from one of the vendors there which also had a little air time on it so I was able to text my friend that I was in town and arranged a meet up with him. I thought it was easier to have a phone that was in english and set up for it so all I had to do was put in the sim card then enter in phone numbers. I also bought and loaded airtime from 7-11. It really is easy to do and most sim cards and airtime cards have instructions in english. If you are really not a techy most of the time the people selling you these will be able to set it up for you as well. As others have said it is easy to pick up a used one from MBK in BKK or Tuk Com in Pattaya and have them set it up for you. From where I come from the flights all get in very late and I have met up with a friend each time so having a phone already was pretty handy. In the end I really liked the fact that I had a phone bought and paid for months before I went so I did not have to waste money on that when I got there but when you realize how cheap you can get some of the used phones there it really doesn't matter which you do as long as you have it planned out and know where to go and how to get one.

Outstanding.

I'll purchase a phone at tuk or someplace similar and follow detouringman's lead to chase 'hotties' to do all the fingerwork! I'll just have to practice my lost puppy look while holding a phone in one hand and a sim in the other and see who responds to help. :GoldenSmile1: The next question is where do i do this... Insomnia, Windmill, What's Up, Casnovy, beach road.......hahaha

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by an unlocked phone? If i bring my phone and i put a Thai simcard in it, wil it not work? I don't really understand the concept of a locked or an unlocked phone :Fuck_Knows: How do i know mine is locked or not and how can i unlock it?

Can somebody give me some advice please?

What do you mean by an unlocked phone? If i bring my phone and i put a Thai simcard in it, wil it not work? I don't really understand the concept of a locked or an unlocked phone :Fuck_Knows: How do i know mine is locked or not and how can i unlock it?

I am not sure what the deal is in Europe but here in the states it is a pain to use your phone overseas. I had a top phone 2 years ago and went to my carrier to make sure I could use it. Turns out in the states you need a specific phone as mine could not be used. Bought a cheap phone while in Patts. Have used it 3 times, probably 2000 baht invested and I actually came home with minutes.

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

Here in the states we have a different system than just about everyone else so when we get a phone for overseas we have to make sure it is quadband which means it has the four frequencies used around the globe. The phones here are also locked to a specific carrier so when we say unlocked it has had a code entered in so it can be used anywhere. I don't know if anyone in Europe has to worry about this but I don't think so.

Renting a phone at the Airport is one of the MOST expensive ways to stay in

touch here in Thailand.

It is so easy to buy a phone here. No contracts, just pay as you go.

Been covered above very well.

Also a new iPhone4 here is about 6 months or more wages, that

is a nice way to say a VERY tempting target for it to grow leggs :)

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

can these places unlock a phone from a network{ATT} so it could be used there?

Yes and NO.....first it will void any warrenty you have, and as noted above

It must be a quad-band phone. So yes it can be done, but for 600-900B you

can get a phone all over town.

If you are comming for even a week cheaper to just buy one

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

• 3 months later...

Where is Tuk located. Is this a store in Pattaya. I'm looking to buy a cheap cell phone. What are the prices. And it sounds like I will have to buy a Thai sim to use the phone. Can I buy all this and the minutes from Tuk. What's the price and process

Where is Tuk located. Is this a store in Pattaya. I'm looking to buy a cheap cell phone. What are the prices. And it sounds like I will have to buy a Thai sim to use the phone. Can I buy all this and the minutes from Tuk. What's the price and process

It's located pretty much at the corner of Bua Khao and Pattaya Tai, which is right here:

http://www.pattayaph...gtRUJzpkcmD3CAA

You can buy a Thai sim in any 7-11 or other corner market, so if you have a tri or quad band phone that is unlocked you don't have to buy a phone.

You don't have to hit TukCom, it's just the largest single concentration of merchants for phones.

Edited by DMustang

Hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if I can trade my I phone 3GS that's rotting in my drawer for anything there?????? :Help_Wanted:

Hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if I can trade my I phone 3GS that's rotting in my drawer for anything there?????? :Help_Wanted:

In tuk.com you can sell or trade your phone. You will not get as high a price as you would as putting it in ebay. which would net you around $150-$200.

Be well Dave

[URL=[url="http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/baby-dolls-addict.html%5D"]http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/baby-dolls-addict.html][/url][img]http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/babydollsaddict.gif[/img][/URL]