IGNORED

Need Quick Flight Advice! Thai Airways or ANA

semicharmed

Hi All,

Need quick flight advice from seasoned travellers. I can book Thai Airways (Direct 18hrs flight) Dec 19-29 in Premium Economy for $2,348.00 or ANA/United (Narita Connection) codeshare flight with Business upgrade using miles for $2,478.00 Dec 20-30.

Thai Airways would be a direct flight but it's 18 hours and I've never been on a plane that long. Premium Economy I hear is pretty good, with about 42 degree recliine.

ANA/United business on 777 is almost lie flat, probably not true flat but at least the incline would be better than on Thai Airways but it's a connection out of Narita and the flight from Narita to BKK would be economy.

What do you guys think? Have any of you experienced either airlines and seats?

I want to book this in a couple of days before they go up anymore.

Thanks

Thai Airways is a great airline and I can honestly say that direct flights are always MUCH better.

The sooner you get to paradise the better.

I know nothing about ANA being Aussie but I would choose the direct flight every time.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I've travelled a lot on both airlines.

ANA wins hands down for cabin service: best I've encountered. Thai Premium Economy seats are basically old-style (10+ years) business class seats; ANA ones much better. The stop-over/transfer at Narita isn't painful. The downside is that you won't be able to access the lounge at Narita and the 6 (?) hour onward flight to BKK in economy may be a pain in your bum.

Thanks guys, any others want to chime in?

Just flew the Thai Air non-stop from LAX-BKK (and back) in the past 2 weeks. I used miles and flew Royal Silk, so I can't comment on Premium Economy comfort, but it looked fine to me. It sounds like ANA would be more comfortable, but I'm always eager to get a non-stop whenever possible.

Check www.seatguru.com to get the specific measurements of the seating on the 2 planes to see how big the difference is.

That non-stop is a LONG mother of a flight -- I slept some and watched 4 movies and 2 TV shows! Still, I think the "in air" time is less than with the connecting flight.

A few considerations:

- that Thai Air flight gets in REALLY early in the a.m. I don't know if we were an hour early or if Thailand isn't on Daylight Saving time, but I was through customs/immigration and had already reloaded my Thai cell phone all by around 6:10 a.m.

- first Bell bus isn't until 8 a.m., so, rather than wait around the airport, I would book a taxi (I think [email protected] works with Mr. T and she was great last week from Pattaya to BKK for my return flight - I would highly recommend her)

- contact your hotel to be sure that you can get an early check-in. You're going to be there well before 9 a.m. Even if you can't check-in, you may be able to use their gym to shower and change into more comfortable clothes.

Double check ANA's milage plan. Most Japanese airlines require you use all your miles within a year. At least they used to.

I'm flying Thai Airways from Tokyo next Friday. Best schedules I can find.

It wasn't me

• 2 weeks later...

ANA is great, however you will more than likely be on a United plane for at least one leg of the trip if it is code share. I flew an ANA codeshare flight earlier this year and it was a United plane from Washington D.C. to Tokyo and then an ANA plane from Japan to Thailand. The United portion sucked as I was in economy, however if you are in business it should be ok. Anyway, I would go Thai to get here as soon as possible.