IGNORED

Best place to buy sturdy (no thin tires ) bicycle

maxtroy

Arriving in Pattaya tomorrow and would like to buy a bicycle to get a little exercise . Recent surgery necessitates no impact exercising so

an hour a day on a bicycle was recommended by doctor .

Do places like BigC and Tesco sell bicycles or are there bicycle specialty stores . Not looking to buy a tour de france used bicycle . A nice mountainbike with big tires is more my style . Thanks .

Yes the stores do sell mountain bikes but the are low end budget bikes. Their top range one is under 9k bht. You would be better off buying a low end branded bike, Trek, Merida, Wheeler or Giant are some. They come in at between 9 - 15k depending on whether you have disc brakes or not. Basically the more you spend the better the bike and the easier it will be to ride without straining yourself. In Thepprasit road, you will find Trek and LA bicycle shops with LA being particularly helpful. Another is on Sukumvit road near the Naklua junction.

I run Jomtien Cycling Club so if I can help, Please phone me Dave on 081 686 5575

Yes the stores do sell mountain bikes but the are low end budget bikes. Their top range one is under 9k bht. You would be better off buying a low end branded bike, Trek, Merida, Wheeler or Giant are some. They come in at between 9 - 15k depending on whether you have disc brakes or not. Basically the more you spend the better the bike and the easier it will be to ride without straining yourself. In Thepprasit road, you will find Trek and LA bicycle shops with LA being particularly helpful. Another is on Sukumvit road near the Naklua junction.

I run Jomtien Cycling Club so if I can help, Please phone me Dave on 081 686 5575

Just got sorted with internet and read your reply . Thanks . A few people have mentioned the places on Thepprasit road . Apparently the condo manager knows a place on Sukhumvit , I assume the one you mentioned at Naklua junction and is taking me out there on the weekend as he knows the people there . .

Edited by maxtroy

• 3 weeks later...

Do they sell BMX style bikes there?

I saw a second hand hock shop on Pattaya Klang about a 100 meters up from where Soi Buckhao meets Klang going towards Sukumvit on the right hand side they had a few mountain bikes for sale out the front.

Dave at Jomtien cycling hooked me up with what I needed . Used Mountain Bike with big fat tires to ride safely around Pattaya. Rode around for a week then got an awful case of food poisoning and some unrelated medical problems that side lined me for a few weeks but look forward to get back to riding in January .