IGNORED

Accidents on motor bikes or other

Amante

Dear Guys: I have only been here for ten days now and there have been two accidents near me. I was sleep the other day and was woken by the sounds of whistles outside of my room. I got up; there were two bodies on the street. I mean directly below my condo window on Thappraya Road. Later, I discovered that the victims were an Indian guy and a Russian girl. Both had extreme head injuries. As you should already know the Thai. helmets aren't worth a damn. Anyhow, I wasn't an eye witness but from the report on television later in the evening apparently a vehicle cut off the motor bike and the motor bike crashed into the concrete barrier in the middle of the road propelling the bodies on either side of the road along with the motor bike. The whole Thailand/Pattaya system of dealing with this particular accident, having dealt with this sort of thing for 25 years, was totally bullshit as they set up no crime scene and had no real traffic control except from volunteers. Also, there was an eye witness here at the condo who stated that she saw the whole thing. In her report there was no van, they simply crashed into the barrier perhaps drunk on under the influence of drugs.

This morning I heard of another accident further down the street going back towards Jomtien. The speculation is that a pedestrian was struck. No details yet. Will have to wait for the news.

Last year I can remember two Americans that were killed; I believe driving into a pot hole in the same area. So, an accident can happen in any number of ways. Just be careful and limit your exposure.

Do I ride? Yes I do and I am careful as hell. If I get up in the morning and don’t feel lucky I ride the baht bus. If there is a lot of traffic I ride the baht bus. Basically, I ride my bike when I have to. To each his or her own, however, I am just passing on some friendly advice. I have had at least one “Thank you Jesus" moment since I have been back but that is the nature of the beast. I drive slow and stay on the left side of the road. I have ridden motor cycles all of my life and have a motor cycle endorsement. I have also attended courses on sudden stops etc. Just be careful guys. Drive slow and stay to the left and away from thick traffic. Amante

I agree that the key is to drive slow and be VERY aware of your surroundings at all time. It doesn't matter how long you have been driving anywhere else, it is nothing like driving in Pattaya. I get my TGF to drive us most of the time and she has been driving a motorbike since she could walk I think lol.

Seen also a couple accidents .Drive slowly ,wear your helmets .Seen a nasty one couple years ago during a songkran.Idiot farang decided to spray some water with those big syringes while a thai person was driving a motorbike. Knocked him right to the ground .I could hear him gasping for air and shaking uncontrollably .Made me for couple days feel uneasy.I also let my Tgf drive but sometimes she still drives when drunk makes me want topsa lopsa lai her ass for being stupid.

I agree that the key is to drive slow ...............................

.....................Drive slowly ...................

I know what you're saying but sometimes I see guys getting into or causing problems by going too slowly.

The 'flock of starlings' principle seems safer to me.

Go with the flow and stay in the group - don't be the one out front to take the hit or the one hanging out the back to be picked off.

Yeah, My Dad was killed in a motorcycle accident last year. He was the passenger. People assume they were drunk but the driver was a Muslim guy who didn't drink. It was caused by a train of jet skis being toed. After that I've always been really careful on the road.

I agree that driving slowly is not a failproof recipe.

Instead, try to drive in positions where you are shielded from trouble (for example, when turning right, position yourself to the right of another vehicle that also turns right, but don't obstruct its view.

Driving within the wolfpack is also recommended.

Many accidents will happen because of a chain of unfortunate circumstances, where the starting point is avoiding a minor inconvenience (for example avoiding something like a manhole cover on the road and hitting another vehicle because of that). Try not to take any risks.

Keep good distance when driving behind baht buses (anyone who drives a MC in Patts will know why).

If the road gets obstructed in front of you, break first and stay in line and look before swinging into another lane.

Unless you know the road already, drive slower to allow some time to see and avoid potholes. They occur even on roads that are otherwise looking fine.

Before taking off when the light turns green, either wait 2 or 3 seconds or have a good look at the oncoming roads.

Many heavy trucks have deficient brakes and cannot stop in time for the red light - if they try at all. Ther is of course less danger of that inside the city.

When you rent a bike, have a look at the tires and check they still have good profile.

Sometimes the rain will just burst, which can be deadly on a greasy road.

Also check the brakes.

And also keep in mind that it is not always safe to follow traffic rules. For example, if one of these speeding buses drives behind you and the light turns red... plan well ahead, you should not even get into such a position.

Edited by manarak

And also keep in mind that it is not always safe to follow traffic rules. For example, if one of these speeding buses drives behind you and the light turns red... plan well ahead, you should not even get into such a position.

Possibly the most dangerous situation for an experienced foreign motorcyclist. The foreign rider will be braking in anticipation of the lights turning red. The Thai driver in his car/truck/bus/lorry will be accelerating to get through even though the lights may have turned red for several seconds.

Possibly the most dangerous situation for an experienced foreign motorcyclist. The foreign rider will be braking in anticipation of the lights turning red. The Thai driver in his car/truck/bus/lorry will be accelerating to get through even though the lights may have turned red for several seconds.

now let's add a small detail: it is a pedestrian crossing light...

Same result for Farang braking.

Thai won't be accelerating because he just won't b e taking any notice of them........unless the BiB stand there,,,,then only maybe.

I agree that driving slowly is not a failproof recipe.

Keep good distance when driving behind baht buses (anyone who drives a MC in Patts will know why).

Following Songtaew invokes additional rules as you need to watch for when passengers press the buzzer or pedestrians flag it down, especially when planning to pass them on the inside.

Safe distance behind other vehicles sounds good but can also bring problems.

When traffic forces its way out against your road's 'right of way' (lol) once the first one has caused the traffic to stop, others may follow behind simply by staying bumper to bumper.

If you're in that line do not leave a gap or someone will dive into it.

The funniest (?) one I witnessed was when two such cars left a gap of 2-3 metres and a motor bike went for it.

Unfortunately for the motor bike rider, the reason for the gap was a tow rope - oops!

No comment

:SoWhat1:

ditto............ 24596_108354225858353_100000513291391_177999_5907350_n300.jpg

Everybody knows that most 'accidents' happen in the home.

I wouldn't worry about that one. I haven't seen one that has been turned on for some time...:D

I don't ride bike in Pattaya and can't see myself ever doing so. From what I have seen if you ride long enough you will have an accident. It doesn't matter how careful you are either as you can not control the other idiots (and there are many, and not all Thai) on the road.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I wouldn't worry about that one. I haven't seen one that has been turned on for some time... :D

I don't ride bike in Pattaya and can't see myself ever doing so. From what I have seen if you ride long enough you will have an accident. It doesn't matter how careful you are either as you can not control the other idiots (and there are many, and not all Thai) on the road.

Many of the "other idiots" drive cars and run into m/bikes. :GoldenSmile1:

I've only seen it once on Second Road, but the BiB do have the option to switch the pedestrian crossing lights on and then stand the other side collecting fines.

There was quite a traffic jam when I saw them doing it. :Think1:

BG that I was with had a nasty scar on her shoulder and another on her stomach -- both from a motorbike wreck. Didn't speak great English, but it sounded like she was cut-off by a farang on another motorbike, which caused her to crash.

I'm scared shitless of motorcycles, so no risk of me getting on one. I won't even take a motorbike taxi. Lot of good it did me....I split my head wide open getting into a baht bus (think I slammed my head into one of the rails you hold onto) and had to be taken by ambulance to emergency room to get 16 stitches. The worst part is that I was stone sober at the time.

Many of the "other idiots" drive cars and run into m/bikes. :GoldenSmile1:

I have a funny story about that but I will tell you another instead...:D

When I was looking around for a car to buy this idiot that I know asked me why I didn't buy a bike. I told him I wanted a car as it is safer. He looked at me as if I was nuts and said that I was crazy because if I had an accident with a motorbike I would have to pay. I later found out that this was incorrect but that is a different story. I had to bite my tongue as I was thinking that I would prefer to be concerned with paying some Baht than laying on a slab in the morgue!

I know that you know about the idiot drivers.... :GoldenSmile1:

Sorry about the TF

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

....................................... if I had an accident with a motorbike I would have to pay........................

I can't imagine anyone would suggest putting you on a motorbike but 'big car can pay' is usually the principle applied and I gather you were lucky...that time.

If I were you I'd be touching wood while I said that that wasn't the case generally. :hello09:

I can't imagine anyone would suggest putting you on a motorbike but 'big car can pay' is usually the principle applied and I gather you were lucky...that time.

If I were you I'd be touching wood while I said that that wasn't the case generally. :hello09:

Yes but my point is that I would prefer to be paying money than being dead!!!

Yes but my point is that I would prefer to be paying money than being dead!!!

That was one of your points, but not the one I quoted.

I think you're being a bit of a Drama Queen suggesting that it's either death or paying money, but we each make our choices.

When I had cars/trucks I rarely used them anyway, for convenience re' traffic and parking, but also out of preference.

I personally enjoy riding bikes and so I choose to take the risks. If not, I wouldn't have made various bike trips around Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

That's my choice.

If I get killed riding a bike then I might agree with you :rolleyes: but, as with some other risks associated with enjoying life here I choose to take them. Up2me.

The more usual result of a m/bike accident here is disproportional injury (compared with back home) due to not wearing protective clothing.

Wearing a proper full face helmet is not that great a hardship IMO, but wearing gloves, boots and full leathers with knee, hip and elbow protection (as I did back home) is just a non starter in the heat here.

It is the injuries caused by sliding along the black stuff in flip flops, shorts and sandals that you see most of and which can ruin a holiday.

I have been driving in Pattaya for over seven years, I have been hit twice, both times while I was stationery doing a right turn, once by a bike and once by a car. The car driver got out, walked back to where my passenger an I were unconscious on the road, and drove off. !!.

thais are really crazy on the roads, Buddha take care !! they overtake in ridiculous, unsafe places, change direction without checking mirrors, etc. In addition to the above tips, remember that thais DO NOT look right when turning left at an intersection. They will just go around the corner, its up to the oncoming traffic to avoid them. Dont drive too close to the left side or you will get hit.

Edited by biggles

That was one of your points, but not the one I quoted.

I think you're being a bit of a Drama Queen suggesting that it's either death or paying money, but we each make our choices.

When I had cars/trucks I rarely used them anyway, for convenience re' traffic and parking, but also out of preference.

I personally enjoy riding bikes and so I choose to take the risks. If not, I wouldn't have made various bike trips around Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

That's my choice.

If I get killed riding a bike then I might agree with you :rolleyes: but, as with some other risks associated with enjoying life here I choose to take them. Up2me.

The more usual result of a m/bike accident here is disproportional injury (compared with back home) due to not wearing protective clothing.

Wearing a proper full face helmet is not that great a hardship IMO, but wearing gloves, boots and full leathers with knee, hip and elbow protection (as I did back home) is just a non starter in the heat here.

It is the injuries caused by sliding along the black stuff in flip flops, shorts and sandals that you see most of and which can ruin a holiday.

Picture me banging my head on the wall. You need to get a hobby...:D

Picture me banging my head on the wall. You need to get a hobby... :D

You're not banging it nearly hard enough yet.

Try to stay on topic instead of just having a go

- it's about m/bike accidents in Thailand in case you forgot............... and you don't even ride one. :Finger5:

I always rent my bike from the farang owner of the rental yard opposite LK Metropole hotel, his bikes are new and very well maintained, supplied with disc locks alarms etc.I then travel down to third rd and buy myself a real helmet for 2/3k and when i leave i give the helmet to the farang for the next punter to use. I advise anyone to do that and in a way you will ensure you are ok and pass on to the next.