IGNORED

Currency in Thailand

zzom

I'm planning to get to BKK carrying around 300 USD (is it enough to survive from airport to downtown?) and two or three credit cards.

What do you experts recommend about handling thai currency? Would it better to exchange US dollars at airport or downtown or to withdraw directly in an ATM?

You only need to get 3000 baht at the airport so you have more than enough USD.Have you pre-booked a taxi? Taxi should cost no more than 1000 baht from Mr T or pre-book http://www.belltravelservice.com/

which is even cheaper. Cash your main money in Pattaya and DO NOT use the ATM as their is 150 bat charge for each withdrawal. Have you considered bringing cash rather than using credit cards or even travelers cheques which you will need your passport to cash them and charged per cheque. My opinion is CASH IS KING. Please go to the newbie section as their are so many threads on what to do especially on taxi's and exchanging money. Use the search box at the top of the page and put in exchanging money. Do the same for Taxi. Good luck

Edited by overseas516

With the right card, you can use the ATM and pay very little. You need to check your banks FX charges + the 150Bt fee and see how it compares to TCs or the risk of cash.

For me, I have no FX loading, pay 1% in interest and the 150Bt fee means overall I pay 2.5% for taking out £500 at a time from the ATM. Not bad for safety and ease of use.

I withdraw minimum 2000 baht , maximum 3000 from airport ATM. No need to bring money ATMS are everywhere... better exchange rate too..

There is not need to carry more then 10,000 at any one time... not good if you do.. .

When i use the atm i always get say 4900 not 5,000 so it ensures I get change.

I only carry one debit card, hotel adress card, and leave all other credit cards etc etc , in the safe at the hotel...

With the right card, you can use the ATM and pay very little. You need to check your banks FX charges + the 150Bt fee and see how it compares to TCs or the risk of cash.

For me, I have no FX loading, pay 1% in interest and the 150Bt fee means overall I pay 2.5% for taking out £500 at a time from the ATM. Not bad for safety and ease of use.

It's even cheaper if you transfer money into a Thai (Kasikorn) bank account from the UK.

If you are going to downtown Bangkok be sure NOT to use the "taxi-service" right outside the arrival area - they will overcharge you and probably ask for 900-1000 Baht. Go to the ground floor and take a "Taxi Meter" - and make sure that the driver does go by meter (he is obliged to do so but some try to make a little more baht from the falangs...) - if he will not just take another taxi. The price will be 300-400 Baht + the "airport-charge" which is 50 baht.

Everyone has the right to my opinion