IGNORED

Need info on Phuket

Harry Brown

Hi All,

I'm heading to Phuket for the first time (I usually only go to Pattaya) so I do not know much about this place or the layout. I'll be staying at the Patong Beach Merlin hotel.

what need to know is the following:

what Golf courses are there and cost.

is there any military golf courses and if so are they good courses

A few of the people have their wives with them so what touristy things are there to do to keep the wives busy.

and lastly what discos are the best

what clubs gogos are the best what sois are they in/

hope people can help me with the above.

any other info you may think is valuable please add ( as I go to Pattaya a fair bit I know the way things work so should be ok with that)

If anyone could add a map with bars etc would be helpful.

Edited by Harry Brown

Be careful with the GoGos ensure your don't follow anyone in , there are many touts operating and you could find yourself paying 500 baht for a beer , that said I believe Suzie Wongs and The Devils Playground are tout free

Patong is more about the beer Bars, Soi Eric and Soi Tiger are about the best, the prices range quite widely for drinks you could be paying 100 baht to 180 baht for a Mixed drink in bars right next to each other

Tiger is a good Disco along with Hollywood and Taipan

I don't play golf, but a friend played Red Mountain and loved it

Many tours, worth haggling with the agents to get best price, for the late riser, Sims half day tour to James Bond island is value , the couples may also enjoy PhuketFantasea and for the wives many Spa treatments etc

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Be careful with the GoGos ensure your don't follow anyone in , there are many touts operating and you could find yourself paying 500 baht for a beer , that said I believe Suzie Wongs and The Devils Playground are tout free

Patong is more about the beer Bars, Soi Eric and Soi Tiger are about the best, the prices range quite widely for drinks you could be paying 100 baht to 180 baht for a Mixed drink in bars right next to each other

Tiger is a good Disco along with Hollywood and Taipan

I don't play golf, but a friend played Red Mountain and loved it

Many tours, worth haggling with the agents to get best price, for the late riser, Sims half day tour to James Bond island is value , the couples may also enjoy PhuketFantasea and for the wives many Spa treatments etc

Hi Stillearly,

Appreciate your reply, that's the kind of info I was looking for cheers.

i prever the following disco´s by the time of the day

1. hollywood (midnight)

2. tiger (1:30 or 2:00am)

3. tai pan (after 2:00am)

also a good place to take some beers is opposite of the soi crocodile ... its a good view there

there are also some good aussi bars

Think you may be disappointed with Phuket after Pattaya. Beautiful but expensive. I keep thinking of going but Pattaya and the eastern seaboard keeps winning.

Think you may be disappointed with Phuket after Pattaya. Beautiful but expensive. I keep thinking of going but Pattaya and the eastern seaboard keeps winning.

Even though I have not been to Phuket I get the same feeling you do. Normally I'd just hit Patts.

But it is a mates daughters wedding and I kind of got to do the right thing , will try to make the most of it though.

Thr good thing is I am one of the few in the group that's not married lol, So at least I wont have anyone nagging me haha ( well maybe a Bg)

i prever the following disco´s by the time of the day

1. hollywood (midnight)

2. tiger (1:30 or 2:00am)

3. tai pan (after 2:00am)

also a good place to take some beers is opposite of the soi crocodile ... its a good view there

there are also some good aussi bars

Thanks mate , I will check those out.

your welcome ...

but one for sure ... LRanger is right ... its much more expensive there ... everything ...

but i spend many times there .... and i love it!

and i love the freelancer at the disco´s

Thanks mate , I will check those out.

Best Aussie bar (IMO) is called Aussie Bar. Located in Bangla Road on your left hand side coming from beach road.It is in 2 floors, pool tables and a lot of screens showing Aussie and international sports. Reasonable prices (but still Patong level not patts :) )

A lot of wxcursions for the wifes - just check the stalls selling tickets - they are everywhere. Phi Phi Island, James Bond Island, Elephant riding, Phuket Fantasea just to mention a few.

Hope you will enjoy your stay (i am sure you will) even if it is not patts.

Everyone has the right to my opinion

i stayed at the merlin first time i went nice hotel.my wife and i went into the holiday inn next door for a drink and could not believe the standard,the italian restaurant overlooking beach rd is very good and cheap for what you get and sams inside is the best steak in town but expensive.we have stayed at the holiday inn the last 3 times and we love the hotel.for the wifes there is a big market just at the back of the merlin on 2 road its got a lot of cheap bars too.most of the girl scene is on banga road and sois off it.if you go out of the merlin on to beach rd turn left follow the road until you turn the corner there is a nice set of bars just round the corner,good luck and enjoy it we fly on sunday to pattaya for 5 months we will at some point fly in to the holiday inn for a few days as my wife likes it so much.