IGNORED

Plans for Phuket

Tibbs

Dear All,

I realise that this is primarily a mongers' forum, but some advice would be highly appreciated.

I'm going on my first foreign holiday in years, and have decided that Phuket offers the perfect mix of my 3 passions - SCUBA, cooking and mongering.

My aim is to sound a week diving, and a week chilling out, learning to cook and BFing the local talent,

My first question is about diving. I'm a very experienced diver, does going on a livaboard rather than a dayboat make a big difference in quality of dive?

Is it possible to get good diving and be based at Patong? I'm happy to move about and stay at a couple of hotels if it's best to split my time between diving and cooking/mongering. From what I've read the best diving leaves from north of the island, is that right?

Whilst not rolling in cash, I'm not shy of a few quid, but from what I've read it's difficult to find a girl friendly 4 or 5 star hotel, I'd much prefer to stay at a GF 3 star than have a row getting a girl in. Is that the wise choice? All I really need is air conditioning and a pool. Is it best to book in advance, or turn up on spec? I'll be travelling in February if that makes a difference?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Hi Tibbs.

If you have time, then go on a liveaboard. It will normally take you to the Similan islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, which is considered amongst the best we have in Thailand. Normally you will choose a 4 days/4 nights trip and get 14 dives during these days.

There is also other liveaboard that will take you south of Phuket (Similan islands is north-east) but they normally only do 2 or 3 days trips. Expect paying from 20.000 THB for the chaepest to a lot more for the luxerious ones.

You can also do daily diving trips from Patong/Phuket. The trips offered are basically: Phi Phi islands, the Shark Point Sanctuary include the King Cruiser Wreck, Racha Noi and Racha Yai. Prices range from 2.700 THB up to 4.000 THB depending which company you choose (without equipment rental) and number of dives.

Almost all dive boats leave from Chalong which is south-east on Phuket (haven't heard that any leaves from the north of the island)

It is also possible to go on a day trip to Similan islands from Phuket. Personally, I think it is worth it, even though it is a long day. Price around 6.000 THB.

Thai cooking classes are easy to find so no worries and when it comes to mongering, Patong is the place. I don't know to much about which guest house or hotel are girlfriendly but I think that answer has been given before.

What comes to my mind is C&N hotel which is very near Bang La Road, but I'm sure other BM have more experience in this. Enjoy your holiday.

Z

I completely agree with Zenobiz.

I just want to add that day trips from Patong are very long : it's first a 30min bus ride (which can be much longer when people are late...), followed by a 2 hour boat ride, 2 dives, and the same to return to Patong.

And the quality of diving there will be far lower than in the Similan. King Cruiser and Shark Island are nice, but I didn't like so much the rest.

So better to make a liveaboard to the Similan and Richelieu Rock. In February, chances to see Manta rays in Koh Bon are pretty high : one day, I had 4 of them turning around me during 1 hour.

And you can eventually make 1 or 2 day trips towards the end of your stay.

Enjoy!

Thank you all for your helpful hints. Most of my prior holidays abroad have been to dive, and I'm already pretty sold on the livaboard concept - I like waking up and plopping into the water for a dive before breakfast :)

Is Nitrox readily available on the livaboards? I'm not as fit as I once was, and find breathing a nice rich 36% does wonders for my evening longevity... :P

Also quite a specific question - do you know of any dive boats where you don't have to share a cabin? It's just that I snore terribly, and I wouldn't want to put some poor random through that!

Maybe this is more suited to the general forum, but how willing are the girls to be photographed / filmed. I'd love to film one of my punts, and I reckon this holiday could be a good place to tick that off my list of things to do before I die... ;) :Cross_Fingers:

Thank you all for your helpful hints. Most of my prior holidays abroad have been to dive, and I'm already pretty sold on the livaboard concept - I like waking up and plopping into the water for a dive before breakfast :)

Is Nitrox readily available on the livaboards? I'm not as fit as I once was, and find breathing a nice rich 36% does wonders for my evening longevity... :P

Also quite a specific question - do you know of any dive boats where you don't have to share a cabin? It's just that I snore terribly, and I wouldn't want to put some poor random through that!

Maybe this is more suited to the general forum, but how willing are the girls to be photographed / filmed. I'd love to film one of my punts, and I reckon this holiday could be a good place to tick that off my list of things to do before I die... ;) :Cross_Fingers:

Agree with you that the liveaboard option is the best. Don't forget the liveaboard season doesn't starts before 26 October and ends 1st of May. Some liveaboard have nitrox available but not all. Expect to pay between 200 - 300 THB per tank you need on most of them.

You can always get a single cabin but that comes with an extra charge. You can get lucky depending on the time of the season to get you own, but then you should go for the less popular liveaboards and go diving at the very end of the season.

When filming girls or taking their photo, just ask politely. They've heard it before. Some will say no, some will ask for money and then it is up to you to negotiate a good deal and some will say - No probrem, up 2 U !!! Don't forget to share here at PA

Ok that's great info, thanks!

I'm hopefully going to get the flights booked this week.

What's the most cost effective way of booking a hotel? To just mail them direct or go through Agoda or Asianrooms etc? I'm going to be travelling end of Jan beginning of Feb which I understand is high season, so wiser to book rather than turn up and hope for a deal?

• 2 weeks later...

Well Flights are booked - getting excited even though my holiday is the end of February.

My plan is to spend 3 days in Bangkok incorporating Culture and Debauchery and then fly down to Phuket for 12 days of divijng cooking and debauchery. Fly back to Bangkok for another night of debauchery and then fly home to get back to work!

Just need to sort out my livaboard and then I can get my hotel booked for the Phuket leg. Got my Bangkok hotel booked for the 4 nights I'm there.

Words can't say how excited I am - I'm finally going on holiday again - the first time I've been out of the UK for more than 4 days in about 5 years!

Late February is a good time for diving in the Andaman. Visibility is best from then until the monsoon starts in May. It is also off the peak of the tourist season, so you should have no problem with finding lodgings or a live aboard trip. You could even get away with not booking at all; that is what i would do, and make arrangements when i get there. However i know others prefer get things sorted and paid for before they go.

The Similans and other places north of Phuket are the main live aboard destinations, bit there are some other interesting spots around. Hin Muang and Hin Daeng off Trang are less known, but well worth a look if you wanted to head south.

Jus a couple of lesser known ideas - There are some interesting spots off Phuket's west coast usually accessed in a small boat from Nai Thon or Nai Yang beach near the airport. For a beach dive you might like to look at Ao Sane, near Nai Harn. you can also reach some interesting nearby spots in a small boat from there.

For debauchery, Patong is party central, but there are scattered pockets in other places around the island, such as Rawai, Chalong, Karon, and Kata.

Happy hunting wherever you land up.

I was in Patong in October, and stayed at BYD Lofts. I had a 100 sq m apartment, pay for 5 stay 7. The staff were incredible along with the restaurant and the wine cellar. They have a roof top pool and are located towards the quieter north end of Patong Beach. Check them out on trip adviser or their web site. I also used Phuket.net to plan out a trip to Phi Phi Island, their site was on average 900- 700thb cheaper than the rest. 1 stop Phuket will also have a list of guest friendly hotels in the area, if BYD is not your thing.

ill post a pic of the living room of BYD

PA080145.jpg

I was in Patong in October, and stayed at BYD Lofts. I had a 100 sq m apartment, pay for 5 stay 7. The staff were incredible along with the restaurant and the wine cellar. They have a roof top pool and are located towards the quieter north end of Patong Beach. Check them out on trip adviser or their web site. I also used phuket.net to plan out a trip to Phi Phi Island, their site was on average 900- 700thb cheaper than the rest. 1 stop phuket will also have a list of guest friendly hotels in the area, if BYD is not your thing.

ill post a pic of the living room of BYD

Does the girl come with the room? ;) That room looks great - is it quiet? One thing is I'm not really a night person so will probably be back home with my Bar Fine well before lights up at most places - I'd quite like somewhere I can't hear the pubs and clubs as I'm drifting into my post-orgasmic snooze :)

The diving sounds interesting - I was thinking about getting a liveaboard for 4/5 days and then take day trips for the rest. Whilst off the beaten track would be nice - I think Similans and Richelieu Rock is a must-do for a first liveaboard trip to SE Asia. So can you do some decent shore diving?