IGNORED

Learning thai download links?

xmirs

Hi Guys,

Ive decided i want to give learning thai a go after a recent trip. I was wondering if anyone had any download links for Rosetta Stone or Pimsleurs.

Ive searched the forums but the links i have found were all dead links. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Also any other recommendations for other programs would be good, from what ive read here it seems that Rosetta Stone or Pimsleurs are the ones to get though.

Cheers.

Pimsleur is probably too much early on in your studies for most people. Although re-listening to lesson 10 just now, they definitely speak slower than normal speech, early on I found it difficult going.

I recommend "Thai for Beginners" by Becker. And then the intermediate book - I don't think the 3rd book in the series is as useful personally.

If you're serious, of course, ultimately nothing can replace having a good native speaker (or equivalent) teacher.

I have done Pimmsleur and am now in the process of repeating it. I am also doing a reading/audio course at the same time called Living Language Spoken Word Thai. In addition I have L-Lingo Thai on my iPad that I use as well. So in all I do about 3 hours a day of Thai lessons. My brain hurts at times.

In theory I am learning to read Thai and I have a very basic grasp of the Thai alphabet but I am still using the Romanized version of the words. The problem is no one has a standardized version of Thai words into Romanized spellings. One of the words you will learn in Pimmsluer will Prathet which is Country but to hear it pronounced by a native speaker its BRatet. So reading the Romanized has screwed me up (I'm skipping accent marks). I would really recommend learning to read Thai which I kick myself for not spending more time doing. Learning to speak Thai isn't hard in the learning sense as they tend to use present tense for most words so you don't have to worry about conjugation like other languages. What kills you is the tones and based on my own use of Thai they are pretty forgiving when you are speaking and you can figure out exactly what you are saying by context.

Good luck!

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that. :GoldenSmile1:

Downloading it now. Is that the full package or are there more lessons?

its 30 leasons, each leasson is about 25 minutes

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Word of warning about Pimsleur is that as the lessons progress so does the speed. By the end they are speaking rapidly and you need to pay attention.

I have done Pimsleur 3 times now and it is only on my third time through that I feel that I have mastered the ability to hold a conversation in Thai by using the words they taught me. One time through isn't going to sink in. Other has said it and I recommend it is to learn to read Thai. I still haven't made much progression but this time around using audio stuff I can say I know the word better because I have read it.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Forgot I had this. If you want the a good selection of Thai learning links more than Pimsleur here is a great torrent.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6210676/Thai_Learning_Pack