IGNORED

Samilan Islands

Lcc

Alright guys?

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the Samilan Islands in one day from Phuket?

I've seen that companies do the tour in one day from a pier in Khao Lak but that takes 2.5 hours to get to each way from Phuket by all accounts! That's 5 hours travelling in a mini-bus before you even hit the water!

Does anyone know of a company that does the journey from Phuket, or if it's even possible to go from Phuket without the loooong journey to Khao Lak?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Alright guys?

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the Samilan Islands in one day from Phuket?

I've seen that companies do the tour in one day from a pier in Khao Lak but that takes 2.5 hours to get to each way from Phuket by all accounts! That's 5 hours travelling in a mini-bus before you even hit the water!

Does anyone know of a company that does the journey from Phuket, or if it's even possible to go from Phuket without the loooong journey to Khao Lak?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I took a boat from Patong to the Similan Islands a few times back in the late 80s and early 90s, not sure if they are still available, but it took about 3-4 hours one way!

They probably have faster boats nowadays, heard that they normally leave from Thap Lamu pier near Khao Lak, but I'd guess they would have some dive-boats from Chalong Bay in Phuket as well.

It's better to take a liveaboard for a few days then you will have time to visit all the good divesites.

You can also stay in simple bungalows or tents on a couple of the islands, but you must book at the National Park in advance.

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

I guess you are a diver !!! You can do a one day trip from Phuket to the Similans, but as you said - It takes time. Normally pick-up time around Phuket is betweenn 06:00 - 06:30 depending on where you stay. It takes around 1h30min to Thap Lamu pier which is around 10 km from Khao Lak and the boat leaves around 08:15.

I will strongly recommend joining the slower boat, as it is much more comfortable with good personal service. The trip to the Similans is around 2h30min and you'll get two dives during the day. Breakfast is served on the way to the dive sites and in between the two dives you will have lunch. Expect to be back in Phuket around 19:00.

Some companies will have a dive boat at the Similans, and you will be transfered by speedboat to and from Thap Lamu. My experience is, that these boats often are very crowded, as the are liveaboards with day tour divers joining in every day. Last time I did a trip like this we were 57 divers on one boat and it is many times more than that.

If you have a bit of experience think about a trip to Koh Bon, which can be arranged twice a week. Highlight at Koh Bon is Manta Rays.

Z

Guys, thanks a lot for your replies. I have to admit though I'm not a diver. I love snorkeling and the Mrs (felang) loves beautiful islands, so it's a bit of each for us both.

I keep reading about this Thap Lamu pier and am hoping like plahgat says that it is still possible to do this trip from Phuket as opposed to Khao Lak.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Well, that change things a bit. You can go to Similan islands with different companies from Phuket. The speedboats departs from Yackt Haven and it takes around 2 - 2 1/2 hour. A bit long in a noisy speedboat. I will recommend snorkeling at Koh Tachai instead of Similan islands. Much better and not that many people. The speedboats we are using departs from Nam Kaen pier 20 min noth of Thap Lamu and not that busy. It then takes 1h20min to Koh Tachai. Return to Phuket around 17:00.

Z

Mate, that's a great help. I'll have a proper look into that tonight, I'm on my mobile at work at the moment as not surprisingly I can't access this site on my work's computer, ha ha!

Cheers for the reply.

• 2 months later...

Well I've decided to go with the transfer to Thap Lamu (nr. Khao Lak) rather than trying to go straight from Phuket, there's just too few options when going straight from Phuket.

It seems all trips cost from 3600-4000 baht, but one company is doing it for just 2300 baht. Quite a difference, hope they're alright!

:D