Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Hotel rates to rise for first time in four years

QuotaMan

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/256425/rates-to-risefor-first-time-in-four-years

Thai hoteliers plan to raise their room rates by 8-10% next year, the first time in four years, to offset rising costs as more perceived local political stability is making tourists more confident, says the Thai Hotels Association (THA).

Normally hotel room rates go up around 5-10% on average per year, but political turmoil from 2008 to 2010 caused Thai hoteliers to freeze their room rates to survive.

However tourism has picked up this year, leading THA to be confident that overall room rates would start increasing next year, said THA president Prakit Chinamournphong.

In the first seven months of this year, international tourist arrivals to Thailand rose by 27% year-on-year to 12.8 million. Key markets were China, which grew by 68% to 1.15 million, Russia was up 78% to 619,723, India was up 34% to 627,670, South Korea grew 40% to 720,510, and Taiwan by 41% to 346,548.

For the year to date, the THA reported the occupancy rate of hotels in Bangkok was 62%, up from 52% in the same period last year, Phuket was at 70%, up from 59%, and Chiang Mai stayed at 40%.

The association projects the average occupancy rate in Chiang Mai for the year will reach 50%, thanks to the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek Fair to be held from Nov 9 to Feb 15.

Mr Prakit projected international tourist arrivals to Thailand would reach 19 million on revenue of 700 billion baht this year.

"This shows that Thai tourism is clearly improving. So it's a good time for us to increase the room rate," he said.

Room rates can be raised without affecting the country's competitiveness against main rivals like Singapore and Malaysia because Thai rates will still be cheaper. However, the move requires cooperation from hoteliers to sell their accommodation at the increased rates, especially during World Travel Mart 2011 in London later this year, he said.

The THA will ask the Tourism Authority of Thailand to convey the message to operators to convince them to raise room rates across the board, preventing confusion among customers.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Sounds like we need another raid ......

Now that the Shinawatra family have got their talons into Thai politics once more, there is little doubt that they will be looking to reimburse their coffers regardless of Takhsin being in the Kingdom or not. The new 'Government' have already scored an own goal with the price of diesel going down and up like a bride's nightie all in a matter of days. Additional charges are levied on Golf Clubs, alcohol, Night Clubs and massage parlours. Is this the target of the country folk who voted these people in, or is it a way of getting money back to the hard working, impoverished Isaan farmers who won't see a satang of these taxes?? I just wonder if Gordon Brown is on some sort of retainer here !!

No mention has been made by the 'Tourist' authority about the disintegrating Exchange rate. January 3rd the E/r was 46.88 Baht to 1 GBP. By the 3rd February the rate was 49.96 Bht to 1 GBP. Just after the Election the rate was 49.99 Bht to 1 GBP. Yesterday the E/r had slumped to 47.96 baht to 1 GBP. All this really means is that you will get far less for your foreign dosh than you used to before Yingluck and her team of soothsayers came to the table with impossible targets. It really sums up the Tourist Authority for their acerbic bile, spun for the purpose of conning the tourists.

I suppose politicians are the same whichever Country you settle in. Caveat Emptor, my friends.

I just wonder if Gordon Brown is on some sort of retainer here !!

Have you lost a grip on reality ? The decline in Thai baht V sterling, lies firmly at the foot of the UK goverment.

Have you lost a grip on reality ? The decline in Thai baht V sterling, lies firmly at the foot of the UK goverment.

Hahahahaha, I detect a sense of humour failure here !!

Just check the reality of what is going on. My comments are made as a lengthy expat and I expect respect for my views.

Be well.

Really !!! Sterling has been stable against the Dollar at 1.6-1.65 for last what 3 years ??

Someone else who believes the Sterling exchange rate is linked solely to the Baht.

The Baht has appreciated against the Dollar for a long time (but seems to have peaked recently) and thats why UK rate is down.

sonny, on 23 September 2011 - 05:42 AM, said:

Really !!! Sterling has been stable against the Dollar at 1.6-1.65 for last what 3 years ??

Someone else who believes the Sterling exchange rate is linked solely to the Baht.

The Baht has appreciated against the Dollar for a long time (but seems to have peaked recently) and thats why UK rate is down.

What meds are you on ? Where do i say sterling is linked to the baht ?

Whats the Thai baht got to do with the dollar ? The Thai Baht has no bearing whatsoever on how sterling performs. Or any other currency for that matter.