IGNORED

Thailand wants Buddha tattoo ban for tourists

fonglong

Thailand has ordered a crackdown on tourists getting Buddhist tattoos.

Thai-person-with-tattoo-007.jpg

Tourists visiting Thailand should be barred from getting culturally insensitive Buddhist tattoos, the culture ministry says.

Niphit Intharasombat, the culture minister, said residents have complained that tattoo parlours are etching sacred images of Buddha and other religious images on to the skin of non-Buddhist visitors.

"Foreigners see these tattoos as fashion," Niphit said on the ministry's website.

They do not think of respecting religion, or they may not be aware that these tattoos can be offensive, he added.

Thailand is mostly Buddhist, and Buddha statues and images are considered sacred objects of worship.

Niphit said the culture ministry had asked Thai tattoo parlours to halt the activity.

According to the official news agency, NNT, he also asked provincial governors to "inspect tattoo studios and seek their co-operation".

NNT also claimed Niphit wants a new law banning the practice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/02/thailand-ban-tourists-buddha-tattoo

just wants to see peoples views on this

Sounds like a reasonable thing. Here in the states there are big organizations which will fight for your right to be purposely offensive and ridicule Christians or burn the flag. Too bad a little reason can't apply here.

Personally i would have to agree with the thais on this one. Buddism is taken very seriously in thai culture,For many it is a way of life. Many of the thai girls i have had the pleasure of being out and about with can't pass a shrine without giving it a "y". The problem these days is that people see tattoo's as a fashion item and have no thought of how thier ink work could affect other's if they choose a religous image. Thier are limetless designs that you can choose from, all of mine have a personal meaning behind them and i can still live with them when i'm old and wrinkled,not something i got on a whim because others around me have them.

Be well Dave

[URL=[url="http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/baby-dolls-addict.html%5D"]http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/baby-dolls-addict.html][/url][img]http://www.babydollspattaya.com/images/babydollsaddict.gif[/img][/URL]  

I wouldn't go for a tattoo myself but if I did choose to have one , it would be my choice alone and not some foreign state .

Here in the states there are big organizations which will fight for your right to be purposely offensive and ridicule Christians or burn the flag.

IMO you could do with a few more of those!

sgu_banner.gif

While I see this man's points, it'll remain to be seen if any of his demands will see the light of day.

After all, don't these tattoo artists make a nice profit from the foreign sector that pays them to get these tattoos?

I just see it as yet another issue raised by thai politicians that is more bark than bite (jet ski scam, etc.)

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

Nice idea and support it but never in a Million Yrs gona work.

Plenty of Parlours would still do it. Like ALL illegal things when you have a Market somebody will supply.

And what do you do with those who already have them ?

Hmmm more important things in the LOS need addressing TukTuks Taxis split pricing to name just a few

After all, don't these tattoo artists make a nice profit from the foreign sector that pays them to get these tattoos?

I was thinking the same thing when I read this article,

all it will do is let the tattoo shops fall back on "I can do this, but it will cost you more".

BTW I understand the posts about respecting their religion, I was talking with a farang in a bar one night and he had more than a few tattoos, so I ask about his Hah Taew or the 5 scared lines on his back and what they meant, he says "I dunno, something about good luck"...wow.

Any foreigner who did get a buddha tat is a bit fucked up

Not if he's a Buddhist. :rolleyes:

Thailand doesnt have a monopoly on Buddhism. If a foreigner is buddhist and respects the meaning behind these images, then i dont see a problem. Personally i wouldnt go to a tattoo fashion parlour, as they can not perform the correct rituals that go with these tattoos. I have been to place in Sriracha which does it in the proper way, and its facinating to watch. They even have special events where hundreds attend to see the spiritual cleansing that goes with the application of these tattoos.

Its one of the reasons i have chosen not to have one, as although i lean towards buddhism, i cannot commit to it like i have seen at a spiritual tattooist event.

JUSTaskJARATSRI

Thai Translation and Thai Interpreter Service.

Phone: 0890915667

FlagHeads2.jpg

Language assistance with Banking, Legal, Medical or Personal.

Bar staff negotiation assistance.

All projects are kept absolutely confidential.

Any foreigner who did get a buddha tat is a bit fucked up

After a particular nasty bike crash, when a pick-up ran into a load of us (All on bikes) at the traffic lights. I spent some time and money in hospital. GF said I needed Bhudda to watch my back, so I had bhudda tattoo right in the middle. Then fell sick and lost my job, a visit to a temple in Si Khui, a monk put good health and good luck on my back.

No one can see them unless in a swimming pool. GF sees them in the house, so they are not a fashion statement/accessory.

It was to keep the GF happy, she said Bhudda take care you.

But the downside is............ With these tattoos I must not give/do bad luck to someone and/or do bad to peoples health.

If I do it affects the power of the tattoos I have.

Been lucky these past few years, so maybe working?? Not going to comment badly since the GF believes in it 101%

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I would give some respect to the Thais by not having the Buddha Tattoo

Thais have the monopoly on Buddha??

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Is this current Pheu Thai Government direction?

I know Suthep mentioned it in te last Democrat Government, but they are gone now. Curious if new gov on same track or if just old news

i would find that its best not to a buddha tat on you out of respect for their culture

i am sure you can trust in your faith in what ever way you like

the real buddha would respect you no more less if you chose to have your skin inked in

plus it gives you space to put anything eles you want on there