IGNORED

Spicy Thai Food - A (lighthearted) Challenge

I've read the post about eating spicy Thai food under the heading: "Thai Food how to cope, they eat chillies for breakfast,brunch,lunch, afternoon lunch, tea/dinner"

I just wonder how many guys here could out-do a Thai with eating spicy food, or how many would want to / be interested?

Call me a sad bastard (OK, you're a sad bastard), but it has always of interest to me why Thais always seem to think that ferangs can't eat spicy food.

Now although I'm a newbie on PA, I have had some practice at eating spicy food.

I think in the past I've been beaten by only three Thais when I challenged them to a prik-kee-noo competition. This is the small, very fierce chillies.

The last challenge I had was a couple of months ago in Udon. Girl in a beer bar was convinced (as normal) us ferangs can't cope with it. So we agreed eating chillies one-for-one. My only stipulation was that when she put it in her mouth and chewed it, that she stuck her tongue out with the masticated (yes, that is the correct word!) contents before swallowing, so we could all see she had chewed it and not swallowed it whole. I abided by the same rule.

Only reason I insisted on it was that once in the past I saw a girl just swallow and not chew the chilli to avoid the heat.

As the Udon girl was convinced I wouldn't beat her, I asked what the prize was, to which she said the loser had to ring the bell.

After only six chillies each she gave up. Needless to say she wouldn't ring the bell ("Have no money"), but at least she did buy me a beer.

So my question is, are there any guys out there interested and could we show the locals a thing or two - i.e. it's not only them who can do this?

I'm aiming to be down in Pattaya early next month (September) so if you're interested PM me!

Cheers,

I like spicy food but Im afraid I wont be able to make it september :)

I also like eating spicy food but don't think i'd do well in a competition with the locals. I read this article recently about the hottest chilli in the world called bhut jolokia (ghost chilli).

How hot is this “ghost chilli” compared to other chili peppers? It has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili’s spiciness. The spiciness is measured by calculating its content of capsaicin, the chemical that gives the spice flavor in the pepper.

In comparison to other hot spices available in the market, a Classic Tabasco sauce has 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units, Jalapeno pepper measures 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville units, and the previous world record holder Red Savina Habenero contained 580,000 Scovilles. The “Bhut Jolokia” on the other hand tested at a staggering 1,001,304 Scoville units.

A chilli’s spiciness can be scientifically measured by calculating its content of capsaicin, the chemical that gives a pepper its bite, and counting its Scoville units.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058096/

I like spicy food but Im afraid I wont be able to make it september :)

Esco don't even contemplate doing it...... I've known the Bellhanger for 16 years and believe me, he can do to Thai "prik-kee-noo" chillis what a Soi 6 King Kong'er can do to a bunch of "Ferang" bananas inside of 10 minutes, wipe the floor with the competition and still look for more...... he's a chilli whore!!

BTW Bellhanger, I took on some darlin's recently with the 'ol "Insanity Sauce"........ beat the tits off 'em because they all put the sample on the tip of their tongues whearas wily 'ol me puts it in the middle of me tongue...... just can't beat an old dog who knows the old tricks, eh!!

Esco don't even contemplate doing it...... I've known the Bellhanger for 16 years and believe me, he can do to Thai "prik-kee-noo" chillis what a soi 6 King Kong'er can do to a bunch of "Ferang" bananas inside of 10 minutes, wipe the floor with the competition and still look for more...... he's a chilli whore!!

Im more concerned about the sore arse I'll be having the next day or so :)

I also like eating spicy food but don't think i'd do well in a competition with the locals. I read this article recently about the hottest chilli in the world called bhut jolokia (ghost chilli).

How hot is this “ghost chilli” compared to other chili peppers? It has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili’s spiciness. The spiciness is measured by calculating its content of capsaicin, the chemical that gives the spice flavor in the pepper.

In comparison to other hot spices available in the market, a Classic Tabasco sauce has 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units, Jalapeno pepper measures 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville units, and the previous world record holder Red Savina Habenero contained 580,000 Scovilles. The “Bhut Jolokia” on the other hand tested at a staggering 1,001,304 Scoville units.

A chilli’s spiciness can be scientifically measured by calculating its content of capsaicin, the chemical that gives a pepper its bite, and counting its Scoville units.

That article was very interesting, especially the chart showing the strength of different chillies.

I had read before somewhere about a very hot Indian chilli, but heard nothing more specific about it.

Yet someone else had told me the Habanero was one of the world's hottest, and true according to that chart.

Back in the good(?) old UK, I remember having a Fahl / Farg (sp?) at an Indiain restaurant and of course they claimed it was the hottests Indian curry you could order. It was nice and spicy too.

This Bhut Jolokia sounds interesting - not that I'm offering of course! Me - I'll stick to the good Thai pric-kee -noo!

I've done it and won (my chilli prowess is all due to world-class smoking, ain't got too many tastebuds left!) but I stipulate a small dish of salt, a lemon and some water on the table. The lemon and water are just window dressing, the salt really helps.

I have been left speechless once, however. At Tawandeng I confused my small dish of Tom Yum with the Nam Jim Tallay and drank it all without looking.

I remained strangely silent for some time.

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

I've done it and won (my chilli prowess is all due to world-class smoking, ain't got too many tastebuds left!) but I stipulate a small dish of salt, a lemon and some water on the table. The lemon and water are just window dressing, the salt really helps.

I have been left speechless once, however. At Tawandeng I confused my small dish of Tom Yum with the Nam Jim Tallay and drank it all without looking.

I remained strangely silent for some time.

Why do you want the salt and how does it help, mayI ask?

Is the salt something which takes the "heat" out of the chillies perhaps?

I have a very high chilli consuming threshold and i love eating spicy food with the Thais as like you say they assume that us farangs can't handle their food. I fing you get a lot of respect from the Thais for doing this too. You posted some excellent information there Bellhanger. Sadly i can't make September but i think Spicymartin's (apt username) comments are enough to put me off!

Big Brother is watching you. - George Orwell
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. - Jack Kerouac
Find what you love and let it kill you. - Charles Bukowski 
Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. - Confucius 
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

This chilli must come with a warning sign,christ 200times spicier than tabasco sauce

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"

Yeah its always funny when they assume us westerners can't handle some spice.

I love spicy food, and its something you build up immunity to.

I remember sitting at a bar with some spicy food, and when they thought I couldn't see them, some bar girls put extra lashings on chilli on it.

I just turned around, and pilled on even more,and said " ah, think I need more"...they looked a bit shocked :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Still no one interested in the chilli eating competition then?

I'm moving back down to Pattaya permanently in a few days, so is there anyone remotely keen on doing these stupid things us overgrown boys go in in for?

C'mon now, I was disappointed no response before.

Now's yer chance!

I'll be there in Jan. I'm not sure how well I'd be able to hang, but I do love spicy food! If you're still interested in a Jan timeframe, I'll give it my best shot :D

I'll be there in Jan. I'm not sure how well I'd be able to hang, but I do love spicy food! If you're still interested in a Jan timeframe, I'll give it my best shot :)

Great, at last someone wanting to have ago!

Contact me/PM me when you get here and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Great, at last someone wanting to have ago!

Contact me/PM me when you get here and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Aight man...will do (this could turn out really badly for me). Oh well, you only live once. :Hug1:

Carrying on with this, my mate bought some sauce back from Japan called 'after death sauce' which he said was the hottest sauce he had ever tasted. Determined to show off, i smothered a load of it on a curry my lodger cooked for me. After 10 minutes my mouth was on fire and i was pissing sweat and my nose would not stop running. Definitely the hottest sauce i have tasted to date. I seriously underestimated it. Anyone else familiar with it?

Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant
I wish I could show you when you are alone or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being. - Hafiz of Shiraz
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche 
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire 
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
The general public doesn't know what's happening, and it doesn't even know that it doesn't know. - Noam Chomsky
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens 

"Up to me" since 2005

I've read the post about eating spicy Thai food under the heading: "Thai Food how to cope, they eat chillies for breakfast,brunch,lunch, afternoon lunch, tea/dinner"

I just wonder how many guys here could out-do a Thai with eating spicy food, or how many would want to / be interested?

Call me a sad bastard (OK, you're a sad bastard), but it has always of interest to me why Thais always seem to think that ferangs can't eat spicy food.

I think in the past I've been beaten by only three Thais when I challenged them to a prik-kee-noo competition. This is the small, very fierce chillies.

The last challenge I had was a couple of months ago in Udon. Girl in a beer bar was convinced (as normal) us ferangs can't cope with it. So we agreed eating chillies one-for-one. My only stipulation was that when she put it in her mouth and chewed it, that she stuck her tongue out with the masticated (yes, that is the correct word!) contents before swallowing, so we could all see she had chewed it and not swallowed it whole. I abided by the same rule.

Only reason I insisted on it was that once in the past I saw a girl just swallow and not chew the chilli to avoid the heat.

As the Udon girl was convinced I wouldn't beat her, I asked what the prize was, to which she said the loser had to ring the bell.

After only six chillies each she gave up. Needless to say she wouldn't ring the bell ("Have no money"), but at least she did buy me a beer.

So my question is, are there any guys out there interested and could we show the locals a thing or two - i.e. it's not only them who can do this?

I'm aiming to be down in Pattaya early next month (September) so if you're interested PM me!

Cheers,

"prik-kee-noo" = the chilli that looks like rat shit........ROFLMAO!

I will pass on the rat shit eating contest.

This would be me :wub:

Chilli Judge

Recently I was honoured to be selected as a judge at a chilli cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judges' table asking directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges and (Native Texans) that the chilli wouldn't be all that spicy, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted. Here are the scorecards from the event:

Chilli 1: Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chilli

Judge one: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge two: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very Mild

Frank: Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chilli 2: Arthur's Afterburner chilli

Judge one: Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeño tang.

Judge two: Exciting BBQ flavour, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Frank: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chilli 3: Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chilli

Judge one: Excellent firehouse chilli! Great kick. Needs more beans.

Judge two: A beanless chilli, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.

Frank: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the drill by now, get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting drunk from all the beer.

Chilli 4: Bubba's Black Magic

Judge one: Black bean chilli with almost no spice. Disappointing

Judge two: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chilli

Frank: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but it was unable to taste it, is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that ugly bitch is starting to look HOT, just like the nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chilli an aphrodisiac?

Chilli 5: Linda's Legal Lip Remover

Judge one: Meaty strong chilli. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge two: Chilli using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Frank: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chilli had given me brain damage, Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

Chilli 6: Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety

Judge one: Thin yet bold vegetarian chilli. Good balance of spice and peppers.

Judge two: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic. Superb

Frank: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous sulphuric fumes. I shit myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems to be inclined to stand behind me except Sally, she must be kinkier than I thought. Can't help feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my arse with a snow cone!

Chilli 7: Susan's Screaming Sensation Chilli

Judge one: A mediocre chilli with too much reliance on tinned canned peppers.

Judge two: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chilli peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about judge number 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Frank: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chilli which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, i'll just suck it in though the four inch hole in my stomach.

Chilli 8: Helen's Mount Saint Chilli

Judge one:

A perfect ending, this is a nice blend of chilli, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge two: This final entry is a good, balanced chilli, neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when judge number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chilli pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor yank, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chilli?

Frank: ----------Judge 3 unable to report.

Alan

Carrying on with this, my mate bought some sauce back from Japan called 'after death sauce' which he said was the hottest sauce he had ever tasted. Determined to show off, i smothered a load of it on a curry my lodger cooked for me. After 10 minutes my mouth was on fire and i was pissing sweat and my nose would not stop running. Definitely the hottest sauce i have tasted to date. I seriously underestimated it. Anyone else familiar with it?

5555 My Dad is here and i have just cooked a chili. He is no stranger to spicy food, he likes it and i have sat in Indian restaurants and watched him eat chicken phaal many times. I warned him not to underestimate the power of the 'after death sauce' and he applied a lot to his chili. Although he finished the lot he agrees that it is the hottest sauce he has ever experienced. 10 minutes after his dinner and he is still reeling from it. LOL.

"Up to me" since 2005

• 3 months later...

Cheers,

Well it looks like this chilli eating competition has died a death.

Nearly six months ago now I started the thread off in the hope we could have a bit of fun at this!

Sadly no one seems to want to have a go at it, so if there's no interest then I guess that's the end of it.

Oh well...

Well it looks like this chilli eating competition has died a death.

Nearly six months ago now I started the thread off in the hope we could have a bit of fun at this!

Sadly no one seems to want to have a go at it, so if there's no interest then I guess that's the end of it.

Oh well...

In a prior posting, someone mentioned "insanity sauce" which made me wonder if they were referring to Dave's.

http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdaisni-d-10.htm

I love this stuff and have been buying it for about ten years now. It is hot and definately NOT RECOMMENDED for amatuers.

I grow and raise my own habaneros, along with a couple of varieties of hallepenos, and put home-made salsa on almost every meal.

Bellhanger, when I get there I'll look ya up and see what we can put together for the locals.

That is if you are still there, as it will be a couple of years before I will be able to make the trip.

Till then, enjoy the "spice" of life everyone.

In a prior posting, someone mentioned "insanity sauce" which made me wonder if they were referring to Dave's.

http://www.davesgourmet.peachhost.com/ct_PRdaisni-d-10.htm

I love this stuff and have been buying it for about ten years now. It is hot and definately NOT RECOMMENDED for amatuers.

I grow and raise my own habaneros, along with a couple of varieties of hallepenos, and put home-made salsa on almost every meal.

Bellhanger, when I get there I'll look ya up and see what we can put together for the locals.

That is if you are still there, as it will be a couple of years before I will be able to make the trip.

Till then, enjoy the "spice" of life everyone.

A couple of years? I could be in another life by then! OK, sounds good.

Regarding the Dave's Insanity Sauce - oh yes, I have a bottle of it, and it is as you say, not recommended for amateurs!

There's a reference to it here, towards the bottom of the page: http://www.pattaya-bar-reviews.com/kennel-...taya-beach.html

According to this article even the Thais can't cope with it...

since my wife moved to england all i eat is spicy food, with the odd egg and chips thrown in for good measure.

you will find that over time you will get used to the heat of the food and soon enough if there is no chilli in the food it wont taste right.

Without a family a rich man is very poor

• 1 year later...