IGNORED

Pre-Paid Mobile SIM card

Kanari212

Dear All,

I really dont know if this the right place to put this Qus. if not I apology for that.

When I get the prepaid sim card, how i can add the data-line service to it "internet" how i can do it , how much they charge ?

thanks,

Floor one at the suvarnaphumi airport is AIS shop that sels prepaidcards.

If you arrive at suvarnaphumi airport,i think it would be good idea to ask there.

Hi we did this last month. I have a DTAC pay as you go sim, which I use in Thailand. I paid 99baht for 20 hours of internet (valid for 1 month) and when that expired I got the next package for 70 hours at 199 baht, again valid for 1 month. My wife's AIS sim was 30 hours internet for 99 baht. You can google DTAC and they have their packages online in English. When we landed at Phuket airport, some promotion girls where giving out free "True" phone sims in the baggage belt area. We got some but never looked into topping them up, so I don't know how much their internet costs. The DTAC service centre will set it up for you. I believe there is one on the 3rd floor of Central on the beach road, but I've never been in that one. We have always set our laptop up in the DTAC centre in the Bangkok Siam Paragon shopping mall or the Junceylon basement in Patong. There is a code you can enter and do it yourself but I don't understand that. It might cost more for iphones?

Jonnie

There are 4 main companies you can get a SIM card to use in ALL of Thailand (in alphabetical order):

AIS (1-2 Call)

DTAC (Happy)

Hutch

True

AIS is the most widely used SIM card out there, DTAC comes in 2nd, True is 3rd, and Hutch....well we know it's there but I have yet to hear of someone who uses it.

Each company has various add-on programs to allow for international calling cheaper SMS rates etc.

As for data packages...all of them will connect via EDGE/GPRS outside of Bangkok, and within Bangkok AIS and True have 3G services available. If you don't add-on a data package the rate will be 1 to 2 baht per minute depending on the carrier you use.

DTAC has commercials right now that claim it is the lowest cost for data rates without a special data package, but if you look into True and AIS more thoroughly you'll find programs that might be more suitable to your individual situation. For my own needs I use AIS, I pay 550 baht a month for 250 hours of usage and another 200 baht a month to send out 300 SMS per month along with giving me an additional 30 hours of data, I also have the "20 Hour Buffet" package for an additional 69 baht per week to make unlimited calls between 10 PM and 6 PM.

AIS and True have great customer service representatives as they all speak English, with an accent but I have no complaints so far about the quality of 'over the phone' service that they provide to help you get exactly what you need out of your mobile phone service.

AIS and True have great customer service representatives as they all speak English, with an accent but I have no complaints so far about the quality of 'over the phone' service that they provide to help you get exactly what you need out of your mobile phone service.

True has great customer service? I don't know what number you are calling, but their main help line 1331 does not even offer English as an option.

DTAC has the best customer service, followed closely by AIS. True Move a distant 3rd.

• 3 months later...

hi guys anyone know which pre paid sim that you will be able to receive calls, and maybe even make phone calls in USA or your country?

you have to activate it in Thailand right? thinking about buying a bunch nad bring it back home and try it out...prolly need to activate it first

• 2 weeks later...

AIS works in the US. DTAC does not.

DTAC does work in the US. As does True. All 3 have roaming agreements with the USA.

DTAC does work in the US. As does True. All 3 have roaming agreements with the USA.

maybe and maybe not. I bought one and still had credit on it when I left but turned it on when at home and it did not register service so it may depend on the sim card you get. If this is not so I would like to know as I would have used it to text a girl and a friend living over there so I could keep the number up. I would assume then that you could also add time over the internet to your phone as well?

maybe and maybe not. I bought one and still had credit on it when I left but turned it on when at home and it did not register service so it may depend on the sim card you get. If this is not so I would like to know as I would have used it to text a girl and a friend living over there so I could keep the number up. I would assume then that you could also add time over the internet to your phone as well?

The SIM card does expire. It will not register when it expires. Did you turn it on as soon as you get back to the states? I never had luck with DTAC. 12 Call works.

I am in California. DTAC does NOT work for me. 12Call does.

For international roaming do you need to sign up for extra stuff or sign up for international roaming? Or just activate the pre-paid sim then it will work internationally? For AIS I mean

what's the 3rd one? AIS, Dtac and what else?

The SIM card does expire. It will not register when it expires. Did you turn it on as soon as you get back to the states? I never had luck with DTAC. 12 Call works.

I am in California. DTAC does NOT work for me. 12Call does.

Yes shortly after getting back to get some numbers off of it but did not register a network so haven't touched it except to charge the phone or drain the battery so it is ready for the next trip

According to DTAC site, once you turn on IR DTAC will work with:

• AT&T
  • T-Mobile USA
  • T-Mobile USA - SunCom
  • Cincinnati Bell Wireless
  • Sprint Nextel Corporation

http://www.dtac.co.t...e_mobile.html#1

That, and I've used DTAC in at least 2 states in the US.

Edited by tunamelt