Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai SIM card expiry?

marshallman69

I'm sure this has been answered before but I did a search and couldn't find a definitive answer. I've kept the same Thai number for 5 years, always adding enough credit to cover the time periods I'm back in the UK. I can't make it this Christmas so know my call time will expire but will the SIM (1-2 Call) expire at the same time? Or on my return next May will adding new credit still allow me to use the SIM again?

I found a few Ebay sellers selling top ups but the mark up is a bit steep.....500 bahts (£10) being sold for £19......Thanks for any help.

Most SIM cards numbers expire after 3-6 months (depending on the card) of no top up. If you want to keep the number, add more baht.

Edited by Wolf Cat

Or on my return next May will adding new credit still allow me to use the SIM again?

Only if the number hasn't been re-used is my understanding.

You can get one year expiries. But you have to hunt for them.

You can recharge your Thai phone online on your Kasikorn Bank website.... do you have a K-Bank account? :unsure:

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

Most of the 1-2call I got in the past,m expired very quickly. I think about 2 months after I left. I got a DATC (HAPPY) in April 2010 and still have it. You can call their service centre, number is on the SIM and extend it for a year., usually cost around 30 baht.

There are ways to top up online-do a search for it on Google-have seen it before somewhere.

Theres always a bone of contention on AIS and DTAC. When it gives a date for expiry of credit remaining it does just that-What is doesn't do is remove the number from the network.

Inotherwards I came back (in my case) after 10 months after expiry but just added credit as normal.

There probably IS a cut off date when it will terminate-perhaps one year ??

If you're just using the sim for calls/texts dont bother with AIS or Dtac anyway-get a true inter sim which is far cheaper to use and you can call landlines in Europe,States,Canada etc for 1 baht a minute.

Validity also advances one year on each top up (to a maximum of one year in advance)

Edited by chivas

If you're just using the sim for calls/texts dont bother with AIS or Dtac anyway-get a true inter sim which is far cheaper to use and you can call landlines in Europe,States,Canada etc for 1 baht a minute.

What is "inter sim?" I've never heard of it.

I've been using DTAC (Happy) for 2 or 3 years, and I always add about 100 Baht just before I leave at the end of each trip. When I do this, they always extend my expiration to one year past the date on which I add the 100 Baht. (I don't know about the cost of international calls since I always use Skype for that.)

Bakwan

A long time ago I had a 1-2call sim that I let expire... It was a dead duck couldn't do anything with it after that.

With DTAC you can go onto the DTAC website and purchase up to 180 days validity for 12 baht (you pay with the credit left on your phone)

A long time ago I had a 1-2call sim that I let expire... It was a dead duck couldn't do anything with it after that.

With DTAC you can go onto the DTAC website and purchase up to 180 days validity for 12 baht (you pay with the credit left on your phone)

you don't even have to go to the website just key in this on your phone: Dial[*] [1] [1] [3] [*] + number of days 30/90/180 → [*] [9] [#] [call]

True "Intersim" Inter being international.

49 baht everywhere-one year validity

If you're arriving at airport True have a kiosk right as you come into main arrivals hall.

My 1-2 call sims expire after 2 years,as for topping up,if you no someone in Thailand get them to buy a top up an text the top up voucher number.

Just pay them back when you arrive.

Edited by The Sperminator

you don't even have to go to the website just key in this on your phone: Dial[*] [1] [1] [3] [*] + number of days 30/90/180 → [*] [9] [#] [call]

Yeah, this is what I've been doing, it's explained (in English) in the little booklet you get with the SIM on purchase, and costs next to nothing, as already mentioned.

It can get a bit pricey for calling back to UK though, so I'd like to know about cheaper options, I'll have a look at 'true', thanks.

I opened a bank Account at kasikorn and noticed they had an option to top up you phone there. Has anyone used that?

Yeah, this is what I've been doing, it's explained (in English) in the little booklet you get with the SIM on purchase, and costs next to nothing, as already mentioned.

It can get a bit pricey for calling back to UK though, so I'd like to know about cheaper options, I'll have a look at 'true', thanks.

Yes only 1 baht a minute to UK landlines-makes an enormous difference via True.

I opened a bank Account at kasikorn and noticed they had an option to top up you phone there. Has anyone used that?

Did the top up through the bank account and it workedGrinNod1.gif