IGNORED

What Thais eat

Been amazed at what my wife & family eat, first was the chicken feet soup or the BBQ ones, then the vendors on the beach with the live shrimps pour on a bit of lime, lemon, chili then eat before they jump of the plate, the pot-pot with the raw crabs. When in the village when she says frogs its not just the legs with garlic butter & chunks of bread its the whole thing chopped up to make frog stew, small lizards are also on the menu as are small birds, bugs & snakes, friends are invited round when theres BBQ rat on the go. My least favorite is when a cow has a calf its party time with Thai whiskey & the cooked afterbirth, I kid you not.

Can you imagine eating soured baby cows food curdled, strained off the fat dried then left to go mouldy for over a year, sounds disgusting?

Its called stilton cheese

Been amazed at what my wife & family eat, first was the chicken feet soup or the BBQ ones, then the vendors on the beach with the live shrimps pour on a bit of lime, lemon, chili then eat before they jump of the plate, the pot-pot with the raw crabs. When in the village when she says frogs its not just the legs with garlic butter & chunks of bread its the whole thing chopped up to make frog stew, small lizards are also on the menu as are small birds, bugs & snakes, friends are invited round when theres BBQ rat on the go. My least favorite is when a cow has a calf its party time with Thai whiskey & the cooked afterbirth, I kid you not.

Have you seen Thais cook crabs? They put the live crabs in a pot of cold water, put the lid on and start cooking, you can hear the crabs banging on the lid with their claws trying to get the fuck out as the water heats up.

Rats: I saw a lady selling rats BBQ near the ferry at Koh Samet. She had all the rats bodies lined up on a charcoal griller.

sam tom poopalah (I think I spelled it correctly) same as papaya salad but with seafood in it I'm guessing I've seen them eat this and I don't think I could stomach it(only because of the smell). To each their on, I've seen the vendors selling the bugs and the girls (sometimes) go crazy for them buy them and pop them like m&m's. But still I say to each their own

Edited by Dr Mindbender Jr

"Picky girls, don't get picked... simple as that."“It's a funny feeling being taken under the wing of a dragon, it's warmer than you'd thinkâ€

Up in Udorn Thani I heard about laap khee wua - buffalo shit larp. When they butcher the beast they get the fresh turds out of the colon and make a spicy larp from them.

• 2 weeks later...

i think there is nothing that Thai people wont eat. if it has protein in it, its food. but i dont judge, i see no difference between eating a cow or eating a dog, and between eating a shrimp and eating a cockroach. i cant do it cuz in my culture i wad told again and again its "disgusting" so my mind is conditioned to feel bad when eating "strange" food, but when you really stop and think about it, its really just all in our head. out stomach dosnt have this problems.

i tried many "strange" food by westran standards (horse, snake, Ostrich, Crocodile etc) but i still cant make myself try things like dog, cat or vermin's.

"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty adventurous in thailand when it comes to food. I've tried the insects not bad!!

The only issue i did have was with something called liver salad. Now i love liver but damnnn that salada was HOT and i mean HOTTTT. I'm used to eating a nice indian Vindaloo every now and then as well.

everybody who had been to LOS seen it, its nothing new. btw, insects are an amazing source of protein and from people who tried it taste ok.

• 3 weeks later...

everybody who had been to LOS seen it, its nothing new. btw, insects are an amazing source of protein and from people who tried it taste ok.

I tried the insects last time, well the grasshopper/cricket type ones.

They looked awful but I'd had a few beers and they were really nice as it happens, salty with a crisp-like texture. I was being dared by the bargirls to eat them.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since my first trip to thailand i have enjoyed eating at the food carts , it took me a few trips to understand that i was eating chickens arseholes on a stick , mmm they are tasty .

i realy wouldnt fancy eating [balut] duck embryo

dont think i could do that one :SoWhat1:

softlad

For the most part e just eat what we are conditioned to eat. English people eat black pudding and Pigs trotters. I mean that really is disgusting and a fresh cricket seems almost appetising in comparison to eating a foot of an animal that has been standing around in shit its whole life or the congealed blood from a variety of animals. Scottish people eat Haggis? I mean what the fuck are they thinking and seriously don't get me started on someone munching away on tripe or lambs fry. Velvet is still sen as a delicacy in the west i mean the unborn foetus of a calf ffs.

Like someone said it's just in your head.