IGNORED

New Airport Scam !!

Mr Wiggy

Just arriving back from Penang a few months back, Unknown to us and our driver, we were being followed by an undercover police officer,and as we were loading the trunk with our suitcases, up pops this police man flashing his badge or warrant card,our driver was then arrested on the spot and taken away, with know explanation to us what so ever, we were left sat in his car with the engine running for 90 minutes untill he came back !!

He came back ranting and raving in Thai, then wifey told me he was fined 2000 Baht for picking up passengers in an unlicensed taxi,(we had only paid 1800 for a two way trip) Then i remember ide heard about this on another forum, but i was under the impression that the taxi's were moonlighting in and around the licensed taxi ranks not a private pickup ?

So beware when ordering your favorite taxi driver from Pattaya to collect you, he is being watched, so best let him know in advance !!

I dont know how this would work if i was picking a friend up in an hire car ? ( i cant see any difference)

And all the time i kept on thinking if this was my first time in Thailand i would probably make it my last !! (Thai Logic)

yea happend to me my brother in law took me to airport police stop i said not taxi to much yap yap if yuo firt timer like you say fuck thailand this new airport a joke all airport limos pang mak mae wot a rip off i have writen to the A O T not had reply prob wont get one whe and if i will post

cheers chris :D

Wriggley Tin 1

Just arriving back from Penang a few months back, Unknown to us and our driver, we were being followed by an undercover police officer,and as we were loading the trunk with our suitcases, up pops this police man flashing his badge or warrant card,our driver was then arrested on the spot and taken away, with know explanation to us what so ever, we were left sat in his car with the engine running for 90 minutes untill he came back !!

He came back ranting and raving in Thai, then wifey told me he was fined 2000 Baht for picking up passengers in an unlicensed taxi,(we had only paid 1800 for a two way trip) Then i remember ide heard about this on another forum, but i was under the impression that the taxi's were moonlighting in and around the licensed taxi ranks not a private pickup ?

So beware when ordering your favorite taxi driver from Pattaya to collect you, he is being watched, so best let him know in advance !!

I dont know how this would work if i was picking a friend up in an hire car ? ( i cant see any difference)

And all the time i kept on thinking if this was my first time in Thailand i would probably make it my last !! (Thai Logic)

good to know thanks for the heads up

I lost the Great Shopper "Joe"

Well not trying to play devil’s advocate.

However I am pretty sure that un- licensed taxi’s are not tolerated in most airports around the world. Think a licensed cabbie would be right royally pissed off off at some joe blogg’s who decided to come and pick up fares, when he is paying for a licence and waiting there for a fare. :Busted:

There’s plenty of choices of licensed taxi companies in and around Pattaya, maybe you should suggest to your guy to go legit.

At the end of the day, it’s the Thai airport laws, it’s Thailand after all. If don’t like it, then we don’t have to go and buy a air ticket here after all. Got to take the good with the bad IMO :What: