IGNORED

Chiang Rai

brucemb

My mate is dragging me to Chaing Rai for 2 or 3 days.

It is same time as Loy Krathong. So should be fun.

Are there girls available and what hotels are relaxed about bringing girls back for an overnight.

What daytime activities do you recommend.

Thanks

Been there once myself but brought a TG with me. We attended a wedding of a friend of ours. We stayed at a hotel/resort type place called "laluna hotel and resort" (it's on Agoda me thinks). is was a nice place with cabana type rooms and a nice pool area. it was a bit out from the downtown area-although we did walk to downtown one day. there's a few things to do there. we took a pretty cool ride up a river (don't recall the name) on a long tail boat, did some elephant trekking (where they have some HUGE snakes in cages) and some general sight seeing-wat's and such. there's a night time market that has every kind of food you can imagine with lots of std thai shopping and some bands playing. We did pop into a few pubs and beer bar type places. there were some girls around that seemed to be available but not like bangers, patters or Phuket. (and I didn't check it out as I had said sand with me). there's motor bike taxi's and even a few rik shaw bicycles to be had along with plenty of small thai food shops and laundry places. I did notice a few hotels in the downtown area and a few of the other folks attending the wedding stayed there. I understand there are even some side trips on the rivers and to laos etc. that can be had at the hotel tour desk. it's defo worth a trip. taxi's were available at the airport on arrival-no worries there. very different thailand from the southern experience.

cheers

bert

Pattaya's dead.  You read it here1st.

Not that much things to do in Chiang Rai unless you want to check out the golden triangle.

i went up there on wed stopped on the way back from maisai funny place drove around for about half hour before i found asmall soiright next to the wang come hotel with some bars around 2 in the arvo they were all empty there way a couple of rub down shops right there as well girls very hungry 100 per hour thai massage gave it a go funny in chiang mai very hard to get more than a hand job but in c rai this girl had my cock out in 5 min and the bartering started 1000 bart later she 's riding me like she's winning the melbourne cup good job other than that i didnt find any other p4p it will take another visa run to explore some more

• 2 months later...

My mate is dragging me to Chaing Rai for 2 or 3 days.

It is same time as Loy Krathong. So should be fun.

Are there girls available and what hotels are relaxed about bringing girls back for an overnight.

What daytime activities do you recommend.

Thanks

Loy Krathong is a good time to come to Chiang Rai, though I prefer Chiang Mai around that time for some of their festivities.

There are girls available, but not many and mostly bar girls. Just about everything girl-related is centered around Jetyod (Chetyot). There's a few bars there that have girls available. I have no idea what the bar fine normally is because I usually just wait until the bar closes and the girl starts walking home, then take her to my place...

Just off Jetyod (but still connected to it), there's a soi – Easy House is on the corner – with mostly massage parlors, most of which do happy-endings but not much more. Further down towards the clock tower – "Chook Dee" is on the corner – there's another soi with some gogo-like bars, including one of the only boy bars and a karaoke place. The massage places down this soi can often negotiate for more than just a happy ending. I haven't been to the karaoke bar before, but given its hours, I can imagine...

And even further down from there is the main attraction. A small "walking street" (sometimes includes bikes and cars!) with Lamyai Bar at its entrance (and Kaffee Hub as its exit... great coffee by the way; also try Doi Chaang). Down that road there's a number of small bars and "gogo" (so they say) places. Selection can be pretty bad, but Lamyai often has some great girls.

There's some soapies behind Wiang Inn, but I have yet to go. Something about it being so conspicuous in a town like Chiang Rai.

Later at night (that is, after about 1am), there are a couple of massage places that stay open down between Peace House and Wat Jetyod. I've gotten some good times out of them, though the girls can be pretty fresh, many of them are Burmese or Akha.

Also late at night, there are a number of clubs that locals and falang go to, but, given the small population of falang in Chiang Rai, you'll mostly see Thai. I've had success picking up girls at the various clubs, but it's hit or miss, depending on the mood of the night. I'm told some freelancers work the clubs, but I haven't met any yet. In order of my personal preference... Face Bar, Par Club, and Sperm Pub. I haven't been to the Womb yet, but it's right by Sperm Pub if you want to check it out (is it even a club?!).

As far as hotels... I've had success bringing girls back to the WangCome and I imagine the Wiang Inn is the same way. I've never tried, but the Le Meridien likely charges extra, based on my experiences with that brand in other parts of Thailand. (But it's a gorgeous property and I highly recommend staying there if you don't mind being a ways out from the main drag.) There's quite a few hotels near the old air strip that are B350/night and I've often just popped in with a girl at 3am with no problem (includes A/C, wifi, breakfast). Usually the girl does the talking. There's a closer hotel to Jetyod like this (I think it was B500/night) called Krungthong hotel. Personally, I now stay at a guest house that is open air. No one really works past 11pm so they don't even know if I bring a girl back or not and have never said a word – or charged me more – when I carry a "friend" home early in the morning.

In the past couple of months, the owner of the Peace House bar on Jetyod (a rasta bar) opened a guest house on Jetyod called "Chook Dee". Given their... open view on sex (many of the employees take girls home all the time), I imagine they're fine with you bringing a girl back, but I haven't yet stayed there.

For day time activities, I recommend the White Temple (Wat Rong Khun), followed by the Black House (Baan Si Dam). There's a few tribes you can visit here and many places offer slow boat rides throughout the area. There's a tourist agency I trust on Jetyod, across from Coconut Bar (and owned or managed by them, I believe). Chook Dee also has a tourist agency, but it's new so I can't speak to its success. Around sunset, head up to Wat Khao Kwai (sp?), on the top of a hill that overlooks the city. Go *into* the temple and straight out it and you'll have a great deck overlooking the local landscape and facing right into the sunset.

Every night, there's a night bazaar right off the main road where there's fairly good, cheap food, as well as some "entertainment" consisting of either a guy playing a guitar and singing or ladyboys all dressed up doing traditional dances on stage. Saturday night, there's a Walking Street about a block from the clock tower where you'll find most Thai shop. Occasionally there's kids dancing, playing with knives, and shooting fire from their mouths... I assume this is a normal thing for school kids to do. Sunday night there's a new Walking Street (new in the last few months), just up from Chiang Rai Regional Hospital on Sankhongnoi Rd. It's still coming into its own, but I now prefer it to the Saturday night Walking Street.

A bit outside of Chiang Rai city, there's the Golden Triangle, great views in Mae Sai (overlooking Burma), Doi Mae Salong (laid back, Chinese-style, tea-growing area), and more. You can generally just rent a motorbike and go, stopping wherever you want. The roads here are pretty good (the recent construction near the Mae Ai turn aside) and people drive less crazy than in the south and even Chiang Mai.

Oh, and be sure to try kao soy, while you're up north. It's delicious. A number of places carry it, but there's a place on Jetyod that specializes in it for just B25. I can't recommend it enough. (There are better kao soy places, but they're further away from everything).

Let me know when you're in town and I'll be sure to show you where to go (though, given I'm here a lot and have quite a few friends now, I tend to keep some of my activities quiet), assuming I haven't gone four hours south for Loy Krathong.

Hm, I probably should've started a new topic for all this. :)

Oh, I should note... There's an old Whorist forum post (which I believe was copy-pasted from an even older Whorist website) that mentions an old lady house in Chiang Rai, just off Jetyod. I've looked for it on several occasions and can't find it. It's likely been shut down now. I see a lot of Thai go to the places I mentioned above, especially the massage places past Peace House (but before Wat Jetyod). If you have any luck finding it, do let me know. I'm hoping to get a tuk-tuk driver to take me where he thinks I should go sometime and see where I end up, since most of them solicit on Jetyod (I mean, they have to take you somewhere, right?).

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

The best part of Chiang Rai for me was hiking up the mountains and staying with the villages, it was a great experience and they are very kind to you.