Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Billabong v Pattaya Bay Resort

Muffin

Guys,

Just returned from trip - stayed at Billabong for second time - great place . Always heard good things about PBR. Tossing up where to stay next time.

Bar is always good - but sometimes get stuck - which is not a bad thing , or even get too close to some of the girls - then feel guilty if I bring back someone else.

Whats PBR like ? Any advice ?

Guys,

Just returned from trip - stayed at Billabong for second time - great place . Always heard good things about PBR. Tossing up where to stay next time.

Bar is always good - but sometimes get stuck - which is not a bad thing , or even get too close to some of the girls - then feel guilty if I bring back someone else.

Whats PBR like ? Any advice ?

copy past for me !!!

any advice?

Given these 2 options, it really depends on where you want to be. If you like 2nd road bars, WS and on baht bus route choose PBR. If you want to hang out in less tourist area around LK Metro & Soi Buakaow, then Billabong is great :)

Also take into your sleeping habit and hours.

It's better to pay now then to pay later. Nothing is free.

what i like about PBR (i have stayed twice before) is the relatively security feeling you have in this hotel. I mean you may encounter one of the bad apple yin who will attempt to steal but i think in PBR she will think twice because of :

- 1) the id security checking

2) the door to go to the main elevator or steps can only be open from outside with the magnet card

3) most of all, the cute receptionnist who call u " everything ok sir?" before giving back id to the "yin du jour"

for me this last one is really a winner, and despite of some little cons of this hotel ( small pool, thin wall, not a very good location for those who hate to walk a little in hot and humid temperature) i will always put PBR in my top 3 short list of hotel

what i like about PBR (i have stayed twice before) is the relatively security feeling you have in this hotel. I mean you may encounter one of the bad apple yin who will attempt to steal but i think in PBR she will think twice because of :

2) the door to go to the main elevator or steps can only be open from outside with the magnet card

3) most of all, the cute receptionnist who call u " everything ok sir?" before giving back id to the "yin du jour"

for me this last one is really a winner, and despite of some little cons of this hotel ( small pool, thin wall, not a very good location for those who hate to walk a little in hot and humid temperature) i will always put PBR in my top 3 short list of hotel

Are the walls really thin and how far exactly is the walk to Soi 6,Soi Diana or Walking St.I hear some say its a few minutes others say 15 to 20 ???

the walk is ok

I agree with this post. The security deter the girls who may be trouble. Not just the ID checking, but the security hanging around outside watching everything. I ve never had problems with the girls, I think they know they cannot do anything after being eyeballed on the way in

Are the walls really thin and how far exactly is the walk to Soi 6,Soi Diana or Walking St.I hear some say its a few minutes others say 15 to 20 ???

well I think it depends on which level u are and if you have a corner room to name but afew factors. I think a corner room ( far west or far east of the hotel) are better but reserved i think to people who stayed longer ( > 1 week )

Regarding the walk Soi 6 or ws u must take moto taxi or baht bus ( 300 m for 2 road and 5 min to 6) soi diana it is 5 min by walk as u cut through the avenue, the ghost mall nearby

Q: Is there an additional charge for joiners/over-night guests?

A: All of our rates quoted are for 1 or 2 persons sharing the same room. Therefore, if a single guest brings back a joiner, there is no additional fee. If you have a third person in the room, there is an additional charge of 500 baht per person, per night.

from PBR site!

is true or are just the formal rules?

Dammit why are the only hotels that are joiner friendly with a pool so frickin far from the action.

It's hardly frickin far from the action! A short walk to soi Diana/LK Metro, a short walk to soi 13 & the beach, a quick tutuk (free) to the end of Soi 15 and a short walk to Walking Street.

Q: Is there an additional charge for joiners/over-night guests?

A: All of our rates quoted are for 1 or 2 persons sharing the same room. Therefore, if a single guest brings back a joiner, there is no additional fee. If you have a third person in the room, there is an additional charge of 500 baht per person, per night.

from PBR site!

is true or are just the formal rules?

Never applied, to the best of my knowledge but presumably they 'reserve the right'. Could change once the sale goes through. Watch this space...

It's hardly frickin far from the action! A short walk to soi Diana/LK Metro, a short walk to soi 13 & the beach, a quick tutuk (free) to the end of soi 15 and a short walk to Walking Street.

Never applied, to the best of my knowledge but presumably they 'reserve the right'. Could change once the sale goes through. Watch this space...

I5 mins walk to Walking Street in 30 degree heat and serious humidity is not my idea of a short walk :)

I've stayed at both places over the past couple of years. As mentioned above, it really depends on what you are looking for:

PBR does have the edge in security with all the checks at the front desk on entry and exit. It's probably a tad more upscale in terms of room fit and finish. There is also less outside noise, but the walls are a bit thin. I can remember several nights where my neighbors activities next door were enough to get my girl laughing. The walk up the lane to the front door can be brutal midday. Otherwise, I'd have to say that PBR is a great place to stay and centrally located. They also have the lift if you are challenged with steep stairs.

The Billabong is a good value and a comfortable place to stay, clean and generally no problems with the room. The selling point is that they are at ground zero for all the action in and around the LK Metro area. They have a good bar, and the group of girls working the bar are a great bunch. I've often had such a good time drinking with the girls and playing pool there that I've tossed out the nights plans. It's one of my favorite hangouts whether I'm staying there or not. The downside is that it's at ground zero and the block there can be a little noisy if you're trying to sleep anytime prior to midnight- not that big of a deal really. The walk of shame past all the girls is a little tough at first, but the girls get it, and you only have to be firm and upfront with them that you are a butterfly. The stairs can be a bit steep if you tend to get mao- but that is the case for a lot of the LK Metro/Soi Buahkow hotels.

You can't go wrong with either place.

Vagrant

Is the PBR up for sale then? Do tell us more

Already sold, with the transfer due to take place next month. The management will oversee the transfer and most of the staff are expected to stay. Whether the place will stay the same will have to be seen, as, I understand, the new owners are a hotel chain (Citadine, Oakwood, Ascott).

I5 mins walk to Walking street in 30 degree heat and serious humidity is not my idea of a short walk :)

From where the tuk-tuk drops you at the end of Soi 15, it's 5 minutes to Walking Street (for me anyway).

Edited by brewster

Already sold, with the transfer due to take place next month. The management will oversee the transfer and most of the staff are expected to stay. Whether the place will stay the same will have to be seen, as, I understand, the new owners are a hotel chain (Citadine, Oakwood, Ascott).

From where the tuk-tuk drops you at the end of soi 15, it's 5 minutes to Walking Street (for me anyway).

Shit next month I thought it was later in the year.I wonder what effect it will have on attitude and atmosphere in the hotel.

Shit next month I thought it was later in the year.I wonder what effect it will have on attitude and atmosphere in the hotel.

I wonder what effect it will have on my November booking!

• 4 weeks later...

Ughh this is freakin great. I had my heart set on staying at PBR. This appeared to me as the stomping grounds of more than half of the BMs. Is this true or are there others as well? With this being my first trip, I was hoping to meet some of the BMs.

Edited by DNice757

Ughh this is freakin great. I had my heart set on staying at PBR. This appeared to me as the stomping grounds of more than half of the BMs. Is this true or are there others as well? With this being my first trip, I was hoping to meet some of the BMs.

Relax, Breath.......................

You are much more likely to bump into BM's at a bar then at the hotel. Nobody loiters in the lobby or halls. If you want to meet up with BM's your best bet is get in on a bar crawl, or hang out at any of the Bar Beers mentioned in these pages.

I think PBR draws more controversy of any hotel in Patts. Most of the debate is over walking distance and time it takes to get to landmarks.

IMHO PBR is not a good noobie hotel because of the location. You need to know something about patts and how the transportation options work. You must must walk or take transportation to get to anything.

It is a great hotel, I have stayed many times. However on my virgin trip I found myself on WS in the wee hours. I couldn't find transportation because I refused to take a moto taxi. I couldn't find the pick-up spot for the hotel tuk-tuk. Sooooo I decided to walk. There is a quiet spot along 2nd road which is not well lite. As I walked along I was suddenly in the company of several LB's Luckly I was out of cash by this point. After they had gone through my pockets, they let me go on my way. A lesson learned.

For a first trip, I suggest a hotel in LK or WS. You can easily get around. You can find all you need a few steps from your hotel.

Just my two cents :D

Relax, Breath.......................

You are much more likely to bump into BM's at a bar then at the hotel. Nobody loiters in the lobby or halls. If you want to meet up with BM's your best bet is get in on a bar crawl, or hang out at any of the Bar Beers mentioned in these pages.

I think PBR draws more controversy of any hotel in Patts. Most of the debate is over walking distance and time it takes to get to landmarks.

IMHO PBR is not a good noobie hotel because of the location. You need to know something about patts and how the transportation options work. You must must walk or take transportation to get to anything.

It is a great hotel, I have stayed many times. However on my virgin trip I found myself on WS in the wee hours. I couldn't find transportation because I refused to take a moto taxi. I couldn't find the pick-up spot for the hotel tuk-tuk. Sooooo I decided to walk. There is a quiet spot along 2nd road which is not well lite. As I walked along I was suddenly in the company of several LB's Luckly I was out of cash by this point. After they had gone through my pockets, they let me go on my way. A lesson learned.

For a first trip, I suggest a hotel in LK or WS. You can easily get around. You can find all you need a few steps from your hotel.

Just my two cents :D

lol thanks for the reply. Ive already started looking at other places. Billabong seems to be catching my eye. Still doing the research. Im just hoping to get a pool for whereever i stay. well, I can always go to the mall pool i guess..

thanks again