IGNORED

buying a drivers licence?

Nausea

I just realized today that I need an international drivers licence.

Will take me a week to get it fixed.

My dad however claims he knows that you can buy a drivers licence, with no need of a visa.

Is it possible? And how? :S

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

I'm in Kuwait and it takes forever to get a Kuwaiti license here, so I found this website; www.international-license.com It's a very good sight and it goes by your driver license in your Country/State. It also will send your finished product by Fed-X international in 3 days.

I paid for mine, which is good for a year, $78 total.

Good Luck

Why take a week to get a IDL? I get them annually in Perth from the RAC and it takes 5 minutes - give my Oz DL, a pic and pay the dosh and walk out. So can't understand how it takes you a week???

Cause I live in the bush, and there is no place close to me where I can get it manually. I already talked to the office about it, so I know I can not get it faster.

They said if I email them with all documents + scans, they can send it within 2 days.

Stil doesnt cut it for me as I leave for thailand on thursday.

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

Can you get them to Fed-X it to you in Thailand? I had a similar situation when I departed Perth in April this year, needed a replacement credit card and it didn't arrive in time, so my bank waited until I emailed my address in Thailand to them and then they Fed-X it to me, got it within a couple of days.

That would work!

Called them and asked, and that would be ok for them :)

So hopefully it will all go well.

Anyone stil know though if its possible to buy in thailand?

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

That would work!

Called them and asked, and that would be ok for them :)

So hopefully it will all go well.

Anyone stil know though if its possible to buy in thailand?

As I understand it, you cannot use an IDL in the country in which it is issued

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

Can you get them to Fed-X it to you in Thailand? I had a similar situation when I departed Perth in April this year, needed a replacement credit card and it didn't arrive in time, so my bank waited until I emailed my address in Thailand to them and then they Fed-X it to me, got it within a couple of days.

They will only send it to an Australian address.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

As far as I know there is no such thing as a truly international drivers licence, in Ireland and the UK the AA does an International Drivers Licence; however all it is really is an official translation into the different languages eg. Thai and it allows for the local police to read your licence as you must also produce your licence from your home country and it is only an official translation.

In Ireland a few years ago the police were trying to track down the countries most prolific speedster a Mr. Prawo Jazdy however they eventually spotted that the police had mistakenly taken down the Polish words for Driving licence "Prawo Jazdy" as the offenders name and with around half a million polish in the small country at the time "he" quickly became a cult figure amongst the polish community there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Confusion_over_Polish_licenses

Exactly, this is an international drivers permit

I got it yesterday night.

Must say I recommend the swedish "motormännen".

I had to travel far, but the guy did volonteer work, and printed them at his hone. Haha...

Took him 5 minutes! :D Great!

So now I can happily drive a bike without worries :)

Got both Motorbike and Car.

Ty all for helping :)

CXNID=1000015.12NXC.gif

Exactly, this is an international drivers permit

So now I can happily drive a bike without worries :)

Got both Motorbike and Car.

Ty all for helping :)

Lol - you got there in the end and yes there is an IDL, which I know nothing about so I didn't answer and there is an IDP which is just a translation of your farang licence.

In reality, the IDP may not be required (mine never was) because Thai licences are now in Western style and most BiB are happy with just the licence - for the couple of $ they ought to cost it's worth it but many are rip offs pretending to be IDLs.

You can use your Western licence (with IDP) for 90 days at a time.

Presumably you have passed your bike test and have that category on your licence. If not, you're not legal on a bike here, whatever your IDP says.

All that being so, I still wouldn't say riding a bike here is worry free. Many (most?) of the hire bikes are not insured and at least some insurers have a clause stipulating that you must have a Thai licence (separate for car & bike). Also your travel insurance may not cover you for riding motor bikes.

Other than that, have fun, but if you're here any length of time it's well worth the trouble of getting a Thai DL.