IGNORED

THAI Elections July 2011

gilligan

In the past I twice nearly had my vacation to Thailand cancelled due to politics.

With the upcoming election, what is "the word on the street" from the ex-pats, as to what potential "disturbances" (violence) that is being expected this time around?

I know this may sound selfish, but i really would not want the airport to be closed or crazy street violence (yellow and red shirts)in time for my arrival at the end of July.

Can anyone give some re-assurance or is it "wait and see and hold your breath" time?

Edited by gilligan

Thai politics is a complex series of events.Farangs have no power of voting unless they are Thai Nationals. Bar owners suffer the consequences as the police shut down their bars regardless of the voting criteria. Thais will drink regardless, because they can. As for the current state of affairs, the Election happens in one week and the polls are calling it a close call. Takhsin's sister is purely a puppet and has been shown up as seriously flawed but the bulk of supporters are Isaan and Lanna people who may well hold the key. Should the Redshirts get in, be very wary - corruption will be a serious predator. Abhisit has done OK - fingers crossed Yellowshirts. Its still a great Country !!

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

No further posts here, and I also have been interested in learning about this election. Suppose I'll try an actual news website. Anyways, another board member wrote something fitting in a seperate thread in the By the Fireside section "There is an amazing news blackout on all things Tai in USA. Complete ignorance."

Seems he is quite correct.

TGOEA

At the present time the Thai electoral commission is conducting some investigations that may result in the recent election result being cancelled and the Puea Thai party banned. IMO it is unlikely the commission will arrive at this result, but if it did then the Reds will revolt with violence and there will be blood on BKK streets again.