IGNORED

Who Rented Or Hired A Car ( Self-Drive )

insane

Hey mates im about to travel next month to thailand and wondering if there's any one had rented car there any one does please share the positive and negative sides about it

things i already know.

1: Passport Copy .

2: Driving license copy .

3: Deposit .

thanks

I have rented a car there with no problems.If you want to be really covered then go for a well known firm like Budget.There are plenty of people renting cars in Pattaya but you will not know if the service or insurance is any good unless you have to use it(accident, breakdown etc).When I rented a few times nothing happened so I was fine.One place in Jomtien checked the bodywork of the car over very very carefully and they were just waiting to find anything so they could then have it away with my deposit I think.

I went with small Thai firms.My friend got a car from Budget which cost more and he had a blow out and had to buy a new tyre for it and they refunded him the money for that, not too sure if you would get that from a smaller Thai firm but I do not know for sure.

Renting the car is not a problem although they do ask you for an address in Thailand, if you take a Thai girl then get her to put her address down.

Driving in Pattaya or Bangkok is a nightmare but once out of those places the roads are pretty good and not much traffic on them.

Edited by Arrian

thanks arrian , true u'll never know unless its happen to u

thanks for sharing , thats puts budget on list .

how about other ones is there any ?

Here is the budget Thailand site so you can get an idea of prices.

http://www.budget.co.th/

These were the ones who checked the car over a lot when it was brought back.

http://www.expatcarrent.com/

This one I phoned up from their advert in the local paper and an English guy answered and could not be bothered to bring the car around to the hotel even though their advert said they would.So I never bothered with them.

http://www.qcars.net/

Avis are in Pattaya as well.

http://www.avisthailand.com/EN/index.php

The other one I used were these:

Direk Motors 420/19 M9 Soi Baukhow, Nongprue.Pattaya. email: [email protected]. Telephone 089-8896788. That was three years ago so I do not know if they are still there but it was opposite the sunview Palace hotel down the end of soi baukhow.

I always use AVIS their rates start from 850 baht a day which i think is as cheap as even the smaller firms. You take a big risk if the insurance is not 100%. Imagine writing the car off and having to pay the full repair costs.

I always use AVIS their rates start from 850 baht a day which i think is as cheap as even the smaller firms. You take a big risk if the insurance is not 100%. Imagine writing the car off and having to pay the full repair costs.

yeah same what happen to arrian at budget they charge them with new tire exchange for the damage one

Hey mates im about to travel next month to thailand and wondering if there's any one had rented car there any one does please share the positive and negative sides about it

things i already know.

1: Passport Copy .

2: Driving license copy .

3: Deposit .

thanks

If you live in Thailand for at least 3 months you need a valid Thai Driving Licence, otherwise you need a valid Driving Licence of your home country AND a valid International Driving Permit.

Check if you get all necessary car documents.

Two years ago I rented a car at a local firm in Pattaya and was stopped by the police because the documents were not complete.

Happily I could resume my trip after paying a fine of THB 400 (TiT), which was paid back by the rental business later.

If you live in Thailand for at least 3 months you need a valid Thai Driving Licence, otherwise you need a valid Driving Licence of your home country AND a valid International Driving Permit.

Check if you get all necessary car documents.

Two years ago I rented a car at a local firm in Pattaya and was stopped by the police because the documents were not complete.

Happily I could resume my trip after paying a fine of THB 400 (TiT), which was paid back by the rental business later.

thanks man i'll add the international driving permit to my list before i leave

I use this one...

http://expatcarrent.com/

The biggest thing for me was Full insurance, not all places offer full insurance.

thanks bro i'll check them out