IGNORED

One Way Ticket- Onward Travel Required?

how122255

I have been to Thailand 6 times, coming from the USA. When I leave the USA to come to Thailand, I like to come on a one way ticket, as I am never sure when I want to return. I have a retirement visa,which I renew yearly, so that is not my problem. The last 2 times, when I tried to check in at the airport, in the USA, traveling on American Airlines, the ticket agent gave me a VERY hard time and almost didn't let me fly because I had a one way ticket. Even though I bought the one way ticket through American Airlines.com . He said that I must have proof of "onward travel". Finally, after much fighting and calling several supervisors I was allowed to fly. I don't want this problem every time. Any suggestions, besides buying a expensive round trip ticket and changing the dates as needed. Do you think it would be OK, if I bought a cheap bus/train ticket inside Thailand showing travel to Loas/Cambodia?

Generally onward travel needs to be an air ticket, not always with the same airline.

The issue is that if for whatever reason you are refused entry to Thailand (as unlikely as that may be) the airline is responsible for flying you back to your country at their expense and they also have to pay a sometimes hefty fine for for allowing you to fly without all required docs (in your case a ticket).

Some airines enforce it more than others, some not at all.

I'd look at buying a cheap Air Asia ticket to Cambodia or KL as a way around it. They are only $40 or so, sometimes even cheaper.

Generally onward travel needs to be an air ticket, not always with the same airline.

The issue is that if for whatever reason you are refused entry to Thailand (as unlikely as that may be) the airline is responsible for flying you back to your country at their expense and they also have to pay a sometimes hefty fine for for allowing you to fly without all required docs (in your case a ticket).

Some airines enforce it more than others, some not at all.

I'd look at buying a cheap Air Asia ticket to Cambodia or KL as a way around it. They are only $40 or so, sometimes even cheaper.

Good idea.....Thanks !