Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai visa questions for n00b

Dave Hedgehog

I'm trying to get my facts straight so apologies for not getting enough out of the search function.

I'm undecided whether or not to apply for a 60 day tourist visa or just to come in with a return ticket and then get to Laos within the 30 days and get a 60 day with 30 day extension. I've also found a company offering to get a one year visa for me for £274. http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa-faq/thai-one-year-visa-faq.php these guys say they have never had a client refused since they started, yet from what I've read online you're supposed to be on a course of some kind or doing some other non tourist stuff to get this one year visa. Is this genuine?, will it save me much fannying around with border runs?

What about if I choose to do the border runs every 90 days, what is the risk of getting some awkward questions asked?, do they ever refuse re-entry?

I've also come across this snipit on http://www.jittigym.com/faq.html

Q • What visa do I need?

A •

A tourist visa (on arrival) is fine if you are staying for 30 days or less. This can be extended for 7 days at Bangkok immigration department. If you want to stay longer you will need to re-enter the country. You are allowed to do this 3 times then you must leave Thailand for 6 months.

You can apply for a 60 day Tourist visa and Immigration B ‘ED’ visa for stays up to one year. These visas should be applied for in advance in your home country. The ‘ED’ visa needs a letter of invitation from Jittigym, there is an administration charge for this letter.

We strongly advise everyone to plan visas carefully before arrival in Thailand

I've never heard of this thing where you have to leave Thailand for 6 months, is this true?

I'm looking at flying in 4 weeks, so I don't know if that makes any difference as to what you would recomend I do.

Thanks for reading and any help.

How long are you planning to stay in Thailand?

If you are going to stay for up to 90 days get a tourist visa before you come. That will give you 60 days plus a 30 day extension. If you want to stay 180 days then get a double entry tourist visa. You would need to do one border run. If you want to stay longer than 180 days then the non-immigrant type-O visa (the same as in your first link) is the way to go. You would need to do border runs every 90 days.

As you state another option is the ED visa. You can get one of these after you arrive. Plenty of schools will organise you one. I think you can stay in Thailand for up to 5 years on this visa. I have never heard that you have to leave after 6 months. Just remember if you want to study Thai there are reports of tests being conducted at immigration during the reporting which needs to be done every 90 days.

BTW that Q&A from your second link is out of date. You can do as many border runs as you want. However, if you do them to land crossings you will only get 15 days. This is only the case if you do not have a visa.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I just had a read through your first link. I am not sure I would use them as at least some of their information is incorrect. They state that on the visa you have 6 months to enter Thailand. Once you have entered Thailand your 12 months starts on that day. This is incorrect. The 12 months starts on the day the visa is issued. You would think a decent legal firm would get their information correct... :GoldenSmile1:

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I'm undecided whether or not to apply for a 60 day tourist visa or just to come in with a return ticket and then get to Laos within the 30 days and get a 60 day with 30 day extension.

going to laos and get a tourist visa there is real simple and inexpensive. the last time i did that about 5 months ago. they where giving out the tourist visa for free back then. not sure if its still free. normal price 1000 thb per entry. did the visa run on my own and payed in total less then 4000 thb (bus from pattaya to nongkhai and back ca. 1000 thb, laos visa ca. 1000 thb, hotel 1 night 800 thb, bus from border to embassy and to the bus station).

What about if I choose to do the border runs every 90 days, what is the risk of getting some awkward questions asked?, do they ever refuse re-entry?

unlikely. i have done many border runs. you can book an all-inclusive border run for 1800 thb in pattaya. i have never had any problems, nor did any other farang on the buses i went with. they fill out all the papers for you. no awkward questions asked.

I've never heard of this thing where you have to leave Thailand for 6 months, is this true?

thats only true for the "visa on arrival". you can only get 4 of those in a row. for the real tourist visas that you get at the embassy this 6 month rule does not apply!

............................ You can do as many border runs as you want. However, if you do them to land crossings you will only get 15 days. This is only the case if you do not have a visa.

I haven't time to look now, but I'm sure I read that they were enforcing a maximum of 2 land border runs following visa exemption, if that's what you're talking about?

I just had a read through your first link. I am not sure I would use them as at least some of their information is incorrect. They state that on the visa you have 6 months to enter Thailand. Once you have entered Thailand your 12 months starts on that day. This is incorrect. The 12 months starts on the day the visa is issued. You would think a decent legal firm would get their information correct... :GoldenSmile1:

Has that changed then? It's been a while since my first One Year Multi-entry Visa from Hull, but I know that was valid for 3 months from date of issue and the 12 months started on the day of entry to Thailand.

If you've got a recent one and it says that then I apologise.

I haven't time to look now, but I'm sure I read that they were enforcing a maximum of 2 land border runs following visa exemption, if that's what you're talking about?

I have not seen anyone reporting that to be the case. I could be wrong as I don't do this.

Has that changed then? It's been a while since my first One Year Multi-entry Visa from Hull, but I know that was valid for 3 months from date of issue and the 12 months started on the day of entry to Thailand.

If you've got a recent one and it says that then I apologise.

I am now on my 4th non-immigrant type-O and they have all started from the date of issue. Perhaps the O-A's are different?

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, and looking forward to attending a meet up at some point.

Bening as I've only got 4 weeks until I'm out of this house I'll go for the return ticket and 30 day exemption, with the 7 days added on that gives me a few days in Bangkok and 4 weeks solid training at http://www.kombatgroup.com until I have to do anything. My mate says he's off to Laos to bring a bird back he met on his first trip out a couple of months ago so we'll probably make it a proper trip rather than a visa run. By the time all that's done I should be ready for a beer after abstaining for a while.

See you all then..................