IGNORED

On-line Translation Program

upa1000

I speak a fair amount of Thai, but I can't read or write Thai very well. Occasionally, I'll see something written in Thai while I'm online. In the past I've tried using Google Translate but have given up on that now. If any of you have used it to translate Thai, you know what I mean. It translates Thai to English in almost complete gibberish. It's almost impossible to figure out the meaning of the translation.

Does anyone have an alternative to Google Translate for "cut and paste" translations on the computer?

I speak a fair amount of Thai, but I can't read or write Thai very well. Occasionally, I'll see something written in Thai while I'm online. In the past I've tried using Google Translate but have given up on that now. If any of you have used it to translate Thai, you know what I mean. It translates Thai to English in almost complete gibberish. It's almost impossible to figure out the meaning of the translation.

Does anyone have an alternative to Google Translate for "cut and paste" translations on the computer?

If you're already familiar with the thai language, I suggest you use the "bulk lookup" feature at www.thai-language.com. Copy&paste the thai script into the box, and it will break it up into single words/word groups providing all the possible translations for each of them (as well as the phonetic transcription). In most of the cases putting together the translation for the whole sentence is straighforward.

I don't believe there's a lie in every smile.

I recomend this one http://www.thai2english.com/online/ i think is quiet good

Thanks for the link. Like how it includes the transliteration too. Great resource.

Haven't tried www.thai-language.com yet naa_maa. I'll check it out soon.

is babelfish any better than google translate?

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I could be wrong of course, but I don't think babelfish can translate Thai.

I mostly use the 2 sites already mentioned. Sometimes thai2english.com is better, sometimes thai-language.com

Mind you, for more difficult words thai2english can be way off on the transliteration though.

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

I could be wrong of course, but I don't think babelfish can translate Thai.

I mostly use the 2 sites already mentioned. Sometimes thai2english.com is better, sometimes thai-language.com

Mind you, for more difficult words thai2english can be way off on the transliteration though.

I think we all have to agree that Google Translate is probably the worst for Thai translation. I think I understand less than 5% of Google's translations. Pretty sad considering Google is one of the top internet companies in the world. Why do you think they fail in this area? No money? No interest?

I think we all have to agree that Google Translate is probably the worst for Thai translation. I think I understand less than 5% of Google's translations. Pretty sad considering Google is one of the top internet companies in the world. Why do you think they fail in this area? No money? No interest?

I must admit, I am very amazed that any web app can translate at all. Thai and English are structurally so different and to understand a word by work translation you have to do so much application of context etc to extract a meaning. The computing and programming power going into even fairly simple translations must be enormous.

One of the earliest phrases I was taught in my lessons was Pleased to meet you. That in Thai is (using transliteration) yin dii tii daai roo-jak which on a word for word basis comes out as " hear good at can know", though of course yin dii as a phrase means delighted which is closer to the English. The reader then has to fill in blanks (I am) delighted at (being) able (to) know (you). OK my Thai translation may be a bit off, but the principle remains.

Having said that, Google is the crappiest of the lot

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire