Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Scams in Pattaya

pattayaguru

i came across this interesting site that details various sob stories from thai girls,and scams

click on link below most of the stories you would have heard from the girls and other scams going on in patts

http://www.scams-in-pattaya.com/

another article of interest

How To Avoid Scams In Pattaya, Thailand!

Pattaya is a fantastic city fantastic with endless choices on things to go and and see during the day, things to do to keep you busy and a wicked nightlife that is hard not to enjoy! Thousands of Tourists travel to Pattaya each and every year to enjoy all of these things, and one or two out of these thousands may experience some type of scam that will literally destroy the entire holiday, and possibly more then that.Thailand is known as the Land Of Smiles, and it can be hard to believe that such kind people would be willing to do such a thing! It must be remembered how little the Thai people have, and how affluent foreigners would appear to them, that temptation would be hard to control!

Scams can be very common in Pattaya, the team here at Best hotel Pattaya have received numerous e-mails from people who have experienced some kind of scan, or have not been sure about something and felt the need to ask us about scams! Because the the letters and e-mails we have received, we have decided to put up this handy Pattaya Scam Section.The team at Best hotel Pattaya believe the best way to avoid been scammed, is to be educated about them so you can avoid one if you can see it starting – please read the following in depth information and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to e-mail us or sign up and leave a comment!

Change That Bill / Padding The Bill: These is a technique that will usually be used on people who have already had a fair few drinks! It will usually go down in this manner. Person will walk into a bar already quite drunk and order a drink, the staff will give him his bill bin but either (1) increase the drink cost (2) add a second drink. If you do not appear to be taking any notice, they will often get very game and sometimes try and charge you thousands of baht for a few beers! This can be avoided by traveling in groups, or enursing that you do not drink so much that you can not manage yourself! This would be common sense in any country though.

Wrong Change: At times when you pay your bill, you will usually pay with larger bills as that is the easier thing to do. Many Bar Girls, at times unknown to the owner; will try and change what should be a 500 baht note to a 100 baht note. If you a drunk, and in a Go-Go Bar this can be very easy as they are usually very dark, and once you move away your the counter any complaint you have will be null and void. Even if you are at the bar and realize at the bar she has given you incorrect change, they would have almost always put it in the till which would make it impossible to prove what was yours and what was not yours, if you get a Thai Manager this would be especially hard I would imagine.

One possible option to avoid this happening is to hold the bill up, and have her ackowledge to someone that it is 1000 baht! The smartest solution, and the one used by the team here is just to carry smaller bills though!

Jet Ski: Many tourist’s have rented the Jet Ski’s and returned them to be told they owe thousands of baht in repair fee’s, at times they can claim up to 50,000 baht! There is very little to say about this scam, you can google about many story’s on the Internet! It was once shown on Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand. The best way to avoid this scam is to avoid Jet Ski’s all together. If you are adamant about renting one though, there are many people who do so with out a problem, we would advise that you take photos and videos before you ride it as verification.

Bar Girls: We all know its possible to get the Bar Girls in Pattaya. A few people who told of times when they bar fine a girl for a LT, and the girl will leave after two or three hours, when the man returns the bar to complain he is always greeted by a Thai Manager who has no care for his issues. It is sad to say, but the best way to avoid this is to go to a farang owned bar.

Times Shares: It is very common to see people (Thai and Western) on the street trying to talk to Tourist’s about Time Share. Time Share is claimed to be a fantastic project where you can own a hotel room with a number of other people and use it at different point of the year, or you will have a choice of hotel rooms for different lengths of the year. The hotels are usually very sub par or out side of the peak area! They will often give a free lunch though, which can usually be worth the visit. The only way to avoid this scam is to simply not talk to them, although as we said the lunch can be worth a visit.

10% Service Charge: Some hotels try and charge a 10% Hospitality Fee, this was removed by the Thai Government and they should not be charging this anymore! If any restaurant or hotel you go to tries to charge this, we advise you to try another! If you are not in a position to change, you need to request at the start they remove it and advise that you know that it should not be there, if you have any issues you should contact the tourist police.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more intresting reading for newbies to patts

http://www.sexwork.com/Thailand/pattayabarsscams.html

Edited by pattayaguru

Didn't know that part about the service charge.

I have one more. One time i meet one english guy on the street. He told me that one girl that he took last night robber him and he has no money. I borrow him 1000 THB and he tried to get more and more later on cause he said that he has this problem and that. But anyway he didnt return money back, and never contact with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to haggle over prices. Apart from shopping centres, 7/11's, ect (actually what things you cannot haggle over would be a good thread in it's own right if it has not already been done). The first price stated can be very inflated, even double what they are really willing to accept. I once accepted the first price offered for a souviner and the girl took pity on me as a noob and dropted the price by a third without me asking. I also paid 1500 baht for a tatoo only to be told I could have had it done for 750 baht.

• 1 month later...

I've none of the jetski scam my friend got done but I got them off.I ex police sargent friend came to the rescue. What ever u do don't let the police come as the scammers just do a deal with them which will cost u more call tourist police is your best bet

A good place to start. Thanks!

I have one more. One time i meet one english guy on the street. He told me that one girl that he took last night robber him and he has no money. I borrow him 1000 THB and he tried to get more and more later on cause he said that he has this problem and that. But anyway he didnt return money back, and never contact with me.

Should never ever ever let anyone borrow money. No matter how sad their story is. Usually the sadder their story the more its shit. Only let good friends borrow little bit at a time, and even then a returnable amount and not something like 300k baht that I know a little Hungarian fellow got cheated out of.

• 2 weeks later...

i witnessed many scam on my first visit now i am not newbie but still i am allways careful :) thanks for the website it should be written by every firsttime visitors

I got scammed last Jan in Patts. I was drinking in a beer bar one evening and a thai bird approached me and let's just say we ended up in bed together. Before she left she wanted 1K baht from me. Jeez, you just can't trust 'em and I bought her a drink the night before. Ah well, lesson well and truly learnt.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

I got scammed last Jan in Patts. I was drinking in a beer bar one evening and a thai bird approached me and let's just say we ended up in bed together. Before she left she wanted 1K baht from me. Jeez, you just can't trust 'em and I bought her a drink the night before. Ah well, lesson well and truly learnt.

I have heard this is happening all over Pattaya lately.

Glad I'm not the only one that fell for that - thought I was a right nubeee.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old - we grow old because we stop playing"

"A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her" Oscar Wilde

Yes , same same, there is not FREE sex at pattaya it is alllways cost you more than 1000baht .i meet with a thai girl on the one of restaurant and she acts like normal girl , she said to me i like you etc, and does not mentioned money we went to hotel but at the morning she wanted 2000 baht money :D i gave 1000 baht but she did not accept it and she try to make trouble to me, called their thai male friends etc... so i suggest you beware freelancers , it is allways better and secure the bargirls and agogo girls

Some good advice, but it is the first I have heard of the Hospitality fee - is this Service charge?

If so, I don't think it has been legally removed. Businesses have to show a net amount for some things (not room charges or most restaurants yet) so maybe this is what it refers to.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Biggest scam I know is ST U shoot yer bolt and she is up and getting dressed again and hadn't been with u more than 15 Mins

500 Baht for 5 Mins work !! Whats that about then ? LOL

Biggest scam I know is ST U shoot yer bolt and she is up and getting dressed again and hadn't been with u more than 15 Mins

500 Baht for 5 Mins work !! Whats that about then ? LOL

Marry a super hot working Soi 6 girl and never work again?

:D

Edited by maimeepanhaa

Who is fit to govern others?

He who governs himself. ?

You might as well have said: nobody.

A couple of these are easy to minimise. Even when I am well on the way, I make a point of pulling out the slips every now and then, and doing a quick tally. They will see this if they are setting you up. The other is to say out loud how much is there when you pay bin. The girl will know you are keeping tabs. Works for me.

That's interesting about the 10% SC. I've certainly come across it in many restaurants, gives me the shits when I'm not aware of it and the bill comes 10% more than I anticipated. The buggers stand there expecting a tip too.

As for time shares and jet skis, also the gem scams, I just don't know how people can still fall for these things, the word has certainly gone around the world many times and for a long time now.

Wrong change happens a bit in Thailand but Cambodia and Vietnam are way worse for this in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to say thank you all for the great advice. I had heard of this jet ski scamming and will stay well away from them.

In Bangkok they will still add on a 10% SC , I read that on my bill,as a tip let everyone at the table know, we were all going to leave a cash tip on top of the SC, oh ya there was a further 7% VAT added to the total bill too

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

I hate the over charged bin deal. Everytime I get a slip added to the bin, I take it out and look at it. then I fold it sideways and put it back in so they know I looked at it and no more can be added (yes i know they could fold them too-but they do see I am checking closely).

I also state the bill amount that i am going them for the bin. especially if it's a 1K bill for a small bin.

just and idea.

cheers

bert

Pattaya's dead.  You read it here1st.

The 10% service charge is the "tip" already added on so if you see this charge included on your bin then no tip is required. This is what a Thai person told me.

• 2 weeks later...

i came across this interesting site that details various sob stories from thai girls,and scams

click on link below most of the stories you would have heard from the girls and other scams going on in patts

http://www.scams-in-pattaya.com/

another article of interest

How To Avoid Scams In Pattaya, Thailand!

Pattaya is a fantastic city fantastic with endless choices on things to go and and see during the day, things to do to keep you busy and a wicked nightlife that is hard not to enjoy! Thousands of Tourists travel to Pattaya each and every year to enjoy all of these things, and one or two out of these thousands may experience some type of scam that will literally destroy the entire holiday, and possibly more then that.Thailand is known as the Land Of Smiles, and it can be hard to believe that such kind people would be willing to do such a thing! It must be remembered how little the Thai people have, and how affluent foreigners would appear to them, that temptation would be hard to control!

Scams can be very common in Pattaya, the team here at Best Hotel Pattaya have received numerous e-mails from people who have experienced some kind of scan, or have not been sure about something and felt the need to ask us about scams! Because the the letters and e-mails we have received, we have decided to put up this handy Pattaya Scam Section.The team at Best Hotel Pattaya believe the best way to avoid been scammed, is to be educated about them so you can avoid one if you can see it starting – please read the following in depth information and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to e-mail us or sign up and leave a comment!

Change That Bill / Padding The Bill: These is a technique that will usually be used on people who have already had a fair few drinks! It will usually go down in this manner. Person will walk into a bar already quite drunk and order a drink, the staff will give him his bill bin but either (1) increase the drink cost (2) add a second drink. If you do not appear to be taking any notice, they will often get very game and sometimes try and charge you thousands of baht for a few beers! This can be avoided by traveling in groups, or enursing that you do not drink so much that you can not manage yourself! This would be common sense in any country though.

Wrong Change: At times when you pay your bill, you will usually pay with larger bills as that is the easier thing to do. Many Bar Girls, at times unknown to the owner; will try and change what should be a 500 baht note to a 100 baht note. If you a drunk, and in a Go-Go Bar this can be very easy as they are usually very dark, and once you move away your the counter any complaint you have will be null and void. Even if you are at the bar and realize at the bar she has given you incorrect change, they would have almost always put it in the till which would make it impossible to prove what was yours and what was not yours, if you get a Thai Manager this would be especially hard I would imagine.

One possible option to avoid this happening is to hold the bill up, and have her ackowledge to someone that it is 1000 baht! The smartest solution, and the one used by the team here is just to carry smaller bills though!

Jet Ski: Many tourist’s have rented the Jet Ski’s and returned them to be told they owe thousands of baht in repair fee’s, at times they can claim up to 50,000 baht! There is very little to say about this scam, you can google about many story’s on the Internet! It was once shown on Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand. The best way to avoid this scam is to avoid Jet Ski’s all together. If you are adamant about renting one though, there are many people who do so with out a problem, we would advise that you take photos and videos before you ride it as verification.

Bar Girls: We all know its possible to get the Bar Girls in Pattaya. A few people who told of times when they bar fine a girl for a LT, and the girl will leave after two or three hours, when the man returns the bar to complain he is always greeted by a Thai Manager who has no care for his issues. It is sad to say, but the best way to avoid this is to go to a farang owned bar.

Times Shares: It is very common to see people (Thai and Western) on the street trying to talk to Tourist’s about Time Share. Time Share is claimed to be a fantastic project where you can own a hotel room with a number of other people and use it at different point of the year, or you will have a choice of hotel rooms for different lengths of the year. The Hotels are usually very sub par or out side of the peak area! They will often give a free lunch though, which can usually be worth the visit. The only way to avoid this scam is to simply not talk to them, although as we said the lunch can be worth a visit.

10% Service Charge: Some Hotels try and charge a 10% Hospitality Fee, this was removed by the Thai Government and they should not be charging this anymore! If any restaurant or hotel you go to tries to charge this, we advise you to try another! If you are not in a position to change, you need to request at the start they remove it and advise that you know that it should not be there, if you have any issues you should contact the tourist police.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

more intresting reading for newbies to patts

http://www.sexwork.c...abarsscams.html

If you learn the rules and live by the rules you do not have to worry about scams. Except on Holidays with Taxi drivers in BKK because even all the honest ones become crooks when its slow!