IGNORED

is Ko Chang what I'm looking for?

Menethil

I am currently staying in Pattaya and wish to take a nice lady here and visit a calm and beautiful beach, preferably in an island.

My initial idea was Ko Phi Phi, but it's too damn expensive to go there (paying 2 tickets) and I read on the internet that it's crowded with bad mannered tourists (weed, loud music at night, drunken people...).

I read some websites recommending Ko Chang if I'm looking for a calm place that is not overcrowded or overpriced.

I like some prices I saw (hotels/resorts between 1000-2000B) and the beaches in the pictures look nice. But the hotel reviews from agoda are not that reliable for me, so I have some questions:

1- any recommendations on which beach and which hotel to stay?? And to avoid?? I don't drive motorbikes, so it needs to be close to a good beach.

2- I am planning to go in may, is it necessary to book in advance? Or I can just go and choose the place I like best?

3- If possible I prefer a hotel with some entertainment such as pool table at least.

4- any other alternatives at the same price range?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Edited by whitespider

Living the dream!

1- any recommendations on which beach and which hotel to stay??

And to avoid?? I don't drive motorbikes, so it needs to be close to a good beach.

-----------

White Sand Beach - hotel depends on your budget.

I can recommend both the KC Grande (5,000/night) and the Sang Arun Bungalows (about 1,000/night). I found other beaches are hit and miss.

Great place to relax is Beach Tango Café, right next to Sang Arun Bungalows. Friendly staff, good food, decent prices.

2- I am planning to go in may, is it necessary to book in advance? Or I can just go and choose the place I like best?

-----------

Expect frequent showers. Be on the safe side and book in advance, at least for half your trip worth, and you can decide on site if you want to extend or change.

May should not be too busy, though.

3- If possible I prefer a hotel with some entertainment such as pool table at least.

-----------

That's available at the various bars and pubs - you won't find those at the hotels.

4- any other alternatives at the same price range?

-----------

Just look at available places via Agoda.com or atsiam.com

The Klong Prao beach which is about 10km further south than white sands is a great beach...not as busy as white sands.A few photos:

May2010014.jpg

May2010015.jpg

May2010073.jpg

Lots of nice hotels that back onto it although many will be more than your budget. I really liked The Panviman Resort and paid about 4500 a night for one of their deluxe rooms in May last year (normal rate is 7000). Website here:

http://www.panviman.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=73

But along that stretch of beach there are some cheaper options as well.

Edited by Catullus

Just returned from 5 nights in Koh Chang with a BG friend of mine. We stayed at Kai Bae beach which is a the next beach down from Klong Prao beach. Kibae is ok. Some nice beaches and a few decent bars and places to eat. All in all nice and relaxing. We originally booked in at the "Siam Bay Resort" but found it a bit too far to walk on a night and also the roads are not very good. So we decided to move to "Kai Bae Beach Resort" a bit closer into town. We chose a nice garden view villa at 1500 per night. http://www.koh-chang.com/kaibaebeachresort/. The prices quoted online are all for Air con in the room. We chose fan only and got the same room with AC disabled. Very good value for 1500 a night.

White Sands is the most developed, so if you're not planning on being mobile it's probably the best one to be at. There's tons of hotels and it's unlikely to be even close to busy in May (especially mid-week) so you'd be just as well to turn up and look for a room (assuming you won't be taking too much luggage), you can probably negotiate a decent discount.

It is hard to get around Koh Chang without a motorbike - take a girl who can drive? :)

Ko Samet might be a better option for a short trip - it's closer, and smaller. I've never actually been, but everyone I've spoken to that has seems to like it.

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've chosen Keeree Ele hotel at white sand beach, has a very nice discount on agoda and seems to be a good option according to the reviews. It's also walking distance from commerce and beaches.

I'm planning on taking a bus from Pattaya to Koh Chang (probable around 300B per person) instead of a taxi (at least 2000B). Anyone tried that before? I don't know the bus station nor the schedules.

Living the dream!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've chosen Keeree Ele hotel at white sand beach, has a very nice discount on agoda and seems to be a good option according to the reviews. It's also walking distance from commerce and beaches.

I'm planning on taking a bus from Pattaya to Koh Chang (probable around 300B per person) instead of a taxi (at least 2000B). Anyone tried that before? I don't know the bus station nor the schedules.

This time a year i think white sand is good not to crowded, i think its the best beach for swiming and so.

The van picks you up at your hotel think its about 400b with ferry included, can find services everywhere in Patts i booked outside the big hotel near seven eleven buakow market.

Koh chang is a great Island and have many nice small kohs outside.

Cheers mate

The van picks you up at your hotel think its about 400b with ferry included, can find services everywhere in Patts i booked outside the big hotel near seven eleven buakow market.

Yup, go for the minibus/ferry deal - there are little stalls selling tickets over all the place, or any travel agent should be able to arrange it for you.

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...

To be 100% honest you wil got get much quality on Koh Chang under 2000 baht.

Some are "nice" at those prices but if you are just spending a few days there consider paying a little more.

I have stayed at Siam Beach Resort a few times and it is beautiful. Its directly ON Lonely beach - the best beach on the island. When I say ON I mean it - you step out of your room onto the beach.

They have some "old style" huts VERY cheap too and they are actually quite good in a quaint sort of way although I doubt you woulkd impress a girl with them.

They are VERY heavily booked at ALL times so it pays to book as early as possible.

Lonely Beach is a MILLION times better than the beaches at the busier places such as Whitesands. This resort has a cocktail bar, again ON the beach + nighttime BBQ etc so if you are there foir a few days there is no real need to actually leave the resort itself.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Damn, just found out that may 5th is also a holiday (Coronation day) and most places are charging the same prices from the peak season (dec-jan). And there's a great chance of having problems to find a room without booking.

Probably I should just wait for a mid-week-non-holiday opportunity.

Edited by Menethil

Living the dream!

Damn, just found out that may 5th is also a holiday (Coronation day) and most places are charging the same prices from the peak season (dec-jan). And there's a great chance of having problems to find a room without booking.

Other holidays in May: 13th Ploughing Ceremony, 17th Visakha Bucha. Also think of the malaria threat on Koh Chang.

Somehow I doubt you would struggle to find a room in Koh Chang in May. I was there a few weeks ago and decided to moved hotels a couple of days before Songkran. There was plenty of choice and none of it was overpriced.