IGNORED

Where to stay?

Aussie mate

Gday, A mate and myself are going to be in Bangkok either end of May or June will probally spend a week there.. As i havent actually stayed in Bangkok before i dont really know which area to look for accomadition as we are planning on traveling to Europe after our visit to Thailand we will be on a budget, so we would be looking at a hotel under 1000 baht a night girl friendly clean and Aircondition, Also a hotel close enough to the action and easy accesible to tuk tuk's or other public transport.

Cheers. Aussie mate.

There seems a big difference in hotel accommodation standards between under 1000 baht and under 1500 baht...

My first trip I stayed in China Town which is quite an experience but it is hard to get to the action.

My recommendation is to find a place in SUKHUMVIT...

The main drag is called Thanon Sukhumvit which is a 6 lane road with the Sky train above it. To cross the road you are climbing shit loads of stairs crossing pedestrian bridges. Don't even think about crossing the road at ground level.

Next you need to view the BTS sky train stations as most places will start from these.

I like Soi Cowboy which is between Soi 23 and Thanon Asok. This is an easy stroll from ASOK station. Most of the roads run off Thanon Sukhumvit and re called Soi's This is pretty good because the Sois are in numerical order and odd numbers are on one side of the road and even on the other, you might like to visit Lolittas which is in soi 8 so it is 7 blocks away from soi cowboy on the other side of the street. You will also get to Nana which is on soi 4 so three blocks further. You can catch the skytrain to NANA station or walk depending on your inclination.

If you catch a Tuk Tuk remember they need to go in the direction of the traffic and it is not always the quickest option but you should give it a go. Tuk Tuk charge 50 baht or 100 baht depends on your negotiating skills. A tuk tuk will often take you where he wants to go. He gets a petrol voucher if you go to his tailor or his massage parlour or even the tourist bureau. They will plead with you...just have a look and I get some voucher but it gets a bit much. I ended up at the same tailor three times and didn't want a suit. When I looked on the map I had been taken miles out of my way.

Anyway as to where to stay. I have decided on Citadines 23 which is 200 meters from Soi Cowboy. I paid 1500 baht but the rooms were great, Modern fittings , good air-conditioners, pool on the roof and girl friendly. There are several premises in the area for around 1000 baht but these are further off the. main road so you will be walking a lot more and it will take longer to get back with a lady so what you might save on rent you could spend on Tuk Tuks and I think the quality might be a bit rough.

Look up Wotif on line and see what deals you can find in Bangkok. Sukhimvit area. Then look at the map to see how far the place is from a BTS sky train. Remember 500 baht is only $15 and if you were standing in both rooms looking at the night life you would spend the $15 bucks. Oh yes ...prices are negotiable...To get the best price I tell them I will stay for two weeks and usually say that my friend stayed there and only paid xxxxbaht. They should come back with a counter offer unless they are fully booked

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

You have patpong also can find good stuff there, hotel about 1500 i think you can find a decent room stay in the action LOL.

You have patpong also can find good stuff there, hotel about 1500 i think you can find a decent room stay in the action LOL.

6 trips to BKK and never been to Patpong...I have heard it is full of tourists and night markets, A few pingpong ball shows but not great for the girls....Am I wrong?

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

Cheers Andyaus i will look at some hotels in that area.. Also do you think getting a cheaper hotel would be better then staying at a backpacker hostel? as im backpacking around but just starting in Thailand.. have been to Pattaya and Phuket but never stayed in bangkok.

The Woraburi is on Sukhumvit Soi 4, which is the same Soi as Nana Plaza. This, in turn, is one stop on the Skytrain from Soi Cowboy. Those are the 2 main 'entertainment' areas and Patpong can also be accessed by Skytrain easily (Saphan Taksin stop). The Woraburi gets good reviews, is guest-friendly and is currently running a room-only promotion of 999 THB per night. I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed guests in backpacker accomodation and ST rooms will add to your expenses.