IGNORED

Australian Prospective Marriage Visa

size13shoes

Hi All

I have been reading booklet 1 from the Australian Embassy web site and I was after a little bit of clarification on the Prospective Marriage Visa.

Could anyone tell me if there is a required period of time you either

1. Need to be living with a Thai girlfriend or

2. Been in a relationship together

before you can apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa?

Is it the same time as a defacto visa where you have to be living together for 12 months?

Any additional constructive information will be greatly appreciated also.

Cheers

For a prospective marriage visa I don't think that there would be a requirement that you had been living together. If there was all the religious nuts would be up in arms for obvious reasons. I have no idea if there is a set limit of how long the relationship has been in place but I would image the longer the better.

If I was you I would contact immigration in Australia and discuss your options. Then come back and tell us what they tell you.

Good luck with it.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

when i asked about a prospective marriage visa they were more interested in proof of the the upcoming wedding. A letter from the celebrant, a booked location or anything that would lead them to believe that a wedding was actually being planned....

Remember that you still need to prove genuine relationship with your girl. Time spent together, money given, phone calls, emails, photo's and anything else that you can get together.

There are plenty of celebrants who can give you the letter for prospective fiance visa if you use their service. You do not need any proof of relationship.

There are plenty of celebrants who can give you the letter for prospective fiance visa if you use their service. You do not need any proof of relationship.

I looked at the immigration department's website about this and the main conditions seem to be that you plan to marry, will live together as a man and wife when she comes to Australia and that you have previously met in person.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Hi All

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their time and input to my question.

Today I went into the Immigration Department in South Australia and asked the receptionist for all the information I required to successfully complete a Proposed Marriage Visa. Once giving me the information and application sheets she stated we were required to be in a relationship for a minimum of 12 months. So I asked her what does “being in a relationship” mean and she replied “living together”.

I’m not quite satisfied as of yet with her reply although she sounded like she new her stuff very well, I’ll go through the info she has given me and dig a little deeper.

My girl friend with no employment or money has had 2 Tourist Visas granted with no refusals, the 2nd visa being a 12 month multiple entries, with a maximum 3 month stay.

Once again thanks

Hi All

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their time and input to my question.

Today I went into the Immigration Department in South Australia and asked the receptionist for all the information I required to successfully complete a Proposed Marriage Visa. Once giving me the information and application sheets she stated we were required to be in a relationship for a minimum of 12 months. So I asked her what does “being in a relationship” mean and she replied “living together”.

I’m not quite satisfied as of yet with her reply although she sounded like she new her stuff very well, I’ll go through the info she has given me and dig a little deeper.

My girl friend with no employment or money has had 2 Tourist Visas granted with no refusals, the 2nd visa being a 12 month multiple entries, with a maximum 3 month stay.

Once again thanks

I think you were right to question her about that. I think you should contact them by phone and talk to someone else. The 12 months living together is a requirement for a de facto visa.

Here are the relationship requirements for a de facto visa (LINK):

Relationship

You and your partner must have been in a de facto relationship for the entire 12 months immediately prior to lodging your application.

See: One-Year Relationship Requirement

The 12-month relationship requirement may be waived if one of the following situations applies:

* you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate circumstances, such as if you have children with your partner.

* all the following circumstances apply:

o your partner is, or was, the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa

o prior to their permanent humanitarian visa being granted, you were in a relationship with your partner that meets the requirements of a de facto relationship

o the department was informed of this before the permanent humanitarian visa was granted.

You and your partner must show a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others. You and your partner must be living together or, if not, any separation must be only temporary. You must also have a genuine and continuing relationship with your partner.

See: Evidence of a Genuine and Continuing Relationship

Note: Under certain circumstances, you may still be eligible to apply for and be granted, or continue to be an applicant for, a Partner visa in Australia if:

* your relationship breaks down and you and your partner have custodial rights under the Family Law Act 1975 for any children aged under 18 years that you and your partner may have

* your partner dies, and you can establish that, had your partner not died, the relationship would have continued and that you have developed close ties with Australia.

If this situation occurs, you should contact the relevant departmental office in Australia that has been processing your visa application.

Compared to the relationship requirements for a prospective marriage visa (LINK):

Relationship

You must have met (as adults) your intended spouse in person and know him or her personally. This must be the case even if:

* it is an arranged marriage

* you and your sponsor met as children and the marriage was arranged before you turned 18 years of age

* you met on the internet (exchanging photographs is not evidence of having met in person).

I do not know the ins and outs of these two visas but going on the above the woman that you was talking to is either talking out of her arse or thought you was asking about the de facto visa.

I had only lived with my GF for 3 months while she was here on a Tourist Visa and about 6 weeks I spent in Thailand before we applied for the prospective marriage visa. Total length of time we had known each other before Visa was granted was 9 months.

You might want to start the Prospective Marriage Visa now as the wait time is 10 months. You can apply while on the tourist Visa and it can be submitted the next time she leaves the country.

Just give them all the information you have given them for the tourist visa, Photo's, Phone Bills plus the letter from the celebrant saying she is going to marry you. Pick a rough date for the wedding 12 months down the track as it can be changed later by the celebrant.

Try and fill out all your Visa PDF forms using a computer and Adobe Writer so when you came to submit the partner visa 9 months later you just tick a box here and enter the last visa number and reprint. Keep digital copies and scans of all paperwork as you will need them all again.

Good Luck

Hi

thank you for your reply ,

I thought it is much like you say, a visa agent told me a very similar thing just the other day.

I've done the paper work for the previous visa's and scanned every thing and saved them as PDF files which make things easier for future reference.

So as long as I stick to the check list of the Prospective Marriage Visa I should be ok ?

Was it long ago that you your visa was approved ?

Hi

thank you for your reply ,

I thought it is much like you say, a visa agent told me a very similar thing just the other day.

I've done the paper work for the previous visa's and scanned every thing and saved them as PDF files which make things easier for future reference.

So as long as I stick to the check list of the Prospective Marriage Visa I should be ok ?

Was it long ago that you your visa was approved ?

Sorry for the delay, email notification not working.

Yep just follow the checklist. Lay it out in clear plastic sleeves and then put it in a ring binder in order of the checklist. label each of the sleeves. You dont want them to have to chase you for something thats missing as it could add months to the application.

I seem to remember that it dosnt mention anything about 2 x 888 forms (Stat Decs) from two of your friends that know you both. Include a signed and dated copy of their passport with each 888

Ours was approved about 2.5 years ago. Married for 2 years now and about to get permanent visa (more paperwork) :)

Sorry for the delay, email notification not working.

Yep just follow the checklist. Lay it out in clear plastic sleeves and then put it in a ring binder in order of the checklist. label each of the sleeves. You dont want them to have to chase you for something thats missing as it could add months to the application.

I seem to remember that it dosnt mention anything about 2 x 888 forms (Stat Decs) from two of your friends that know you both. Include a signed and dated copy of their passport with each 888

Ours was approved about 2.5 years ago. Married for 2 years now and about to get permanent visa (more paperwork) :)

Sounds like an awful amount of work, but also sounds like it was worth it. Well done and good luck to you mate.

Sounds like an awful amount of work, but also sounds like it was worth it. Well done and good luck to you mate.

A lot of work. took about 6 weeks to get it all together, but saved a shit load of $$$ doing it ourselves. If you try and do it all in one go it will do your head in. Just one thing off the checklist at a time.

Worth it alright. I used to be married to a extreamly attractive farang and I can honestly say life is so much easier and enjoyable now.

My wife works at a local Thai restaurant and is the head waitress. She makes between $550-$600 peer week she contributes to our budget, sends some back to her family and spends the rest. We have no children and both enjoy having a good time. Shes happy, Im happy, everyones happy. :)

A lot of work. took about 6 weeks to get it all together, but saved a shit load of $$$ doing it ourselves. If you try and do it all in one go it will do your head in. Just one thing off the checklist at a time.

Worth it alright. I used to be married to a extreamly attractive farang and I can honestly say life is so much easier and enjoyable now.

My wife works at a local Thai restaurant and is the head waitress. She makes between $550-$600 peer week she contributes to our budget, sends some back to her family and spends the rest. We have no children and both enjoy having a good time. Shes happy, Im happy, everyones happy. :)

thank you very much

its nice to hear something positive - all the best

Cheers