IGNORED

Thai cooks

I keep reading mongers reports about the quality of Farang food in both Thai and Farang owned restaurants and Guest houses, some of them good and some of them not.

As a chef of a couple of decades I'd just like to give my thoughts on this...

Here in Britain if I go for a Chinese I know the cooks are either from china or are British chinese...

If I go for a curry I know the cooks are from either India or Bangladesh...

If I go for Thai food I know the cooks are probably Thai (but could possibly be Vietnamese as well)....

Authentic cooking generally means good food...does that make sense?

Here in LOS almost all the restaurants and Guest houses use local Thais for cooks,so on the whole the Thai food in them is decent...or at least I think so, but I do realise we all have our favourites for whatever reason, just like in our home countries.

Most of the complaints that I have read though, are mostly about the Farang food they cook.

Next time you order your frozen fish with chips,your frozen lasagne and frozen garlic bread or your frozen chicken kiev and chips remember these are not exactly food types that Thais learned to prepare from fresh, or to be taught how to cook properly by mamma when they were young!

Farang food is completely alien to most Thai cooks and is the single reason why your kiev or your fish portion could get to your table still frozen!

Yes a good chef is always eager to learn new types of cooking and trying to be a better cook but how many of you ex pats with Thai wives have tried to cook Thai for your Teerak or your mother-in-law only to have them complaining that this or that is wrong,if not to your face, then to each other!....Now do you see my point!

I just think alot of us have too high expectations about the food in some restaurants/guest houses in LOS,thinking its gonna as good as back home...invariably its not...do you agree...disagree?

However I cant defend the bar where a monger saw a cat with a big rat in its mouth running from the kitchen...or any place where the staff seem to go blind as soon as a Farang sits down!

4 weeks till I touch down and taste lovely spicy Thai food again.....

the problem is simple.... Thai cooks can't follow instructions

Mike, don't be a prick all your life!

The problem is simple....

when in Thailand, avoid frozen, second rate farang food and stick to freshly prepared thai food.

Mike, don't be a prick all your life!

The problem is simple....

when in Thailand, avoid frozen, second rate farang food and stick to freshly prepared thai food.

why do banned members keep coming back?

why do banned members keep coming back?

Err... Mike, wrong again!

I'm not a banned member; this is the only account at Pattaya Addicts I have ever had.

One can't help but notice comments you make on a variety of threads, some pertinent, others such as the one on this thread, just a load of nonsense.

I try not to eat falang food when in Thailand, on the first trip I did eat alsmost only falang food, it was never that good so I turned Thai, now I eat all the tahi food I can get my hands on when back in falang country, just taste better and it is also easy to make at home actually.

I have no idea how many of the cooks actually have an education in any cooking, I will say that I have been to places in Europe where the food is really bad, so I would say that the falang food in Thailand is not that bad compared to other countrys in europe.

I feel that most of them try, but some have no clue at all :)

once again we have people saying only eat Thai food. This is a joke in my opinion unless you are only here 2 weeks. An expat regardless of where they are from wants to eat food from their homeland at least some times.

The reason for the poor quality farang food in Pattaya is because:

1) Thai cooks don't want to follow instructions from a farang

2) They can't follow a receip. They think they know better than the recipe. This is why there is a lot of inconsistency especially in the smaller restaurants

3) Thai cooks don't eat farang food. Hard to cook something good if you don't eat that type of food