IGNORED

Laptop security cable?

Bobdabilda

Just ordered a cheap (£3) security cable for my laptop for my next visit to Patts as its too big for those room safes.

One end locks into the little slot on the side of the laptop, the other you can wrap around water pipes or something.

Its more of a deterrent to stop somebody just picking the laptop up and walking out the door, as it looks like a decent pair of cutters would probably cut through the cable without much difficulty.

Has anybody took one of these to LOS before?

Thanks for replies BOB.

I've used one before. Probably only good for your piece of mind. It would keep an honest person honest; but, a true thief wouldn't be slowed down too much by one.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

Has anybody took one of these to LOS before?

A potential issue is to find something to mount the lock. In my case (I have a standard Kensington lock) the one and only option was the handle at the fridge - with another type of handle I'd have had zero options.

So I think it's fine to bring it along but you shouldn't be 100% sure (a priori) that you can actually use it.

BTW: I don't think it's an issue for the ladies who clean the room. I'd even expect they actually prefer it: they tend to leave the door open when cleaning and also leave once in a while to fetch something or have a quick chat with a colleague. If locked they don't need to worry - if unlocked there is a risk that else could pick the laptop in the meanwhile.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="100" width="200" data="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_2.swf">'>http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_2.swf">

<param name="movie" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_2.swf" />

<param name="base" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/" />

<param name="flashvars" value="

&timer=2&

&time_template=3:ss;2:mm;1:hh;0:dd&

&time_color=0x000000&

&label_color=0x000000&

&background_color=0xDCDFCA&

&flare_view=true&

&time_label=d:DAY;h:HOUR;m:MIN;s:SEC&

&time_zone=(GMT +07:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta&

&event_time=year:2011;month:6;day:23;hour:18;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_duration=year:0;month:0;day:0;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_recursion=hourly&

&onpress_url=-&

&event_onpress_url=-&

&title=The Pattaya Experiment 2.0&

&event_title=event&

&sound_file=-&

&event_sound_file=-&

&transparent=false&

" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

<param name="scale" value="noscale" />

<param name="salign" value="lt" />

</object>

Yeah thanks for replies...

Where I'm staying (guest house) I have 100% faith in the staff as I've stayed there a few times before...

Its the thought of leaving the laptop say hidden under the bed when I'm out mongering thats on my mind...never thought of securing it to the fridge with a cable though. Will do that, put the laptop on top of the fridge, towel over and a few cups on top....peace of mind as they say. cheers BOB.

• 1 month later...

I have used the cable type laptop lock for several years on trips to the Philippines and recently to Thailand. As previously stated they would not deter a determined thief, but it is enough to stop casual theft. Also it will help with an insurance claim if stolen. The biggest problem in many hotels is finding somewhere secure to loop the cable. Also I would go for the combination lock type rather than a keylock especially after watching how easy the Kensington is to open. A quick youtube search will reveal all.

I looped mine around part of the bedframe, and then tucked the laptop itself behind the headboard when I was out of the room...

I looped mine around part of the bedframe, and then tucked the laptop itself behind the headboard when I was out of the room...

The drain pipe under a sink may work in a pinch too... far from ideal but a possible option...

-N

My macbook fits in the safe so I don't worry but if I bought my toshiba I would take the battery out and put that in the safe. Less likely hood of losing a laptop with the battery missing. I also insure my laptop so it might be a good way to upgrade. :Gift3:

There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts.

Voltaire

loop the lock cable around the handles on your suitcase..???

Edited by fostraswift

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

The drain pipe under a sink may work in a pinch too... far from ideal but a possible option...

-N

That works too, just prefer to keep the electronics away from sources of Liquid whenever possible (totally

ignoring the fact I tend to browse the web while drinking something...)

Do you really have to take this much care with your belongings?

I think i'll get a good quality suitcase which is hard to break into and lock that up to something.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a laptop and will get a pac safe to keep the light fingers away.Ill check if any girls I take back have bolt cutters hidden in there pants......

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=117

• 4 weeks later...

Why go to the trouble to secure with cables and endure the possibility that a laptop could go missing when you can just check it at the counter? I leave my laptop at reception, and pick it up on the way back in - takes a few seconds and puts the security squarely in the staffs' hands. "Locks only keep honest people honest": given time, any lock that is portable enough to take on a trip could be hacked.

• 2 months later...

If you zip open the lining on your suitcase, there's usually a metal frame around the case to keep it rigid. I've looped the cable around that and then locked the laptop inside the suitcase. OK, then they'd have to steal the suitcase as well, but it's one more obstacle in the way to stop them.

There are only 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't !!!