Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

US Passport and Thai Tourist Visa

notlogic

I just received my Tourist Visa today and my passport not long before. A few weeks ago I remember looking around for threads talking about the time involved to get these documents, so I thought I'd share my experience in case there are other people like me looking for recent waits/costs involved.

Passport:

I did not have a passport initially, so I had to get a new one. I could not find my birth certificate anywhere, so I had to get a new one of those, as well. Your state of birth maintains birth records and, luckily, I reside in the state where I was born. I went to the office of 'vital records' in my city, filled out a form, and showed them a picture ID. They said come back the next day and, when I did, I was given a new birth certificate. Cost $15, but this will likely vary with each state.

I filled out the passport form online, but your first time getting a passport, you must apply in person. I brought the completed form, birth certificate, passport photos (had them taken at a local drug store that same day, less than $10), and my checkbook to the main post office in my city where they maintain a passport office. They made me take a number, even though I was the only person in line, and then they took all my information (they will keep your birth certificate, it will be mailed with your passport). I paid for expedited service, which cost extra, and the passport office also had their own fee. I paid about $185 after it was all said and done and they said to start watching out for the passport in 2 weeks.

I received my passport 13 days after submitting my application and materials. It was mailed to me in an express envelope, sans birth certificate. Do not worry, however, the birth certificate arrived the following day in a separate envelope.

Tourist Visa:

The same day that I received my passport, I completed the form for the tourist visa and mailed it to the New York Royal Thai Consulate. I applied for a 2-entry tourist visa -- 3-entry tourist visa was not an option on the forms from the New York consulate, if you want a 3-entry, I suggest you check with other consulates. They also required two passport photos, so get extras printed when you take yours for the passport. I sent my passport, visa application form, and two passport photos in a large envelope. Also in the envelope I included another 6x9 inch return envelope for them to use when returning my passport+visa. I paid for express shipping (USPS, about $20 each) for both envelopes which ensures delivery on the next day by 3pm.

I received my 2-entry tourist visa 7 days after mailing my application and passport. I mailed it on a Monday, they (presumably) got it on Tuesday, and I received it the following Monday. That means they mailed it to me on Friday, so if you are using another method of shipping, I suggest allowing them at least 4 business days to process your application.

Hope this is helpful to someone. See you all next week in LOS.

Good information and spot on with the time it takes. For those of you who don't live in your home state anymore, you can order your birth certificate online through a few different websites along with express delivery for around $35 and you'll get it in about 7-10 days.

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

Single or double-entry tourist visa is currently free, but only until March 31. After that I don't know what the fee will be.

Also, I have to use the entries within 3 months of them issuing the visa.