Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Prounouncing the ng sound in ง(ngor ngoo)

Majestros

I've been having a lot of trouble pronouncing the ng sound for ง(ngor ngoo) and I'm sure many of you Pattaya Addicts who have been just starting with Thai have also had this problem.

I found this video on youtube and thought some people would find it useful.

The guy in the video is a linguist, Stuart Jay Raj.

I think he does an amazing at explaining this.

He explains it for a few Asian languages, but Thai is also in there.

Edited by Majestros

The old method I use is to say the English word 'singer' and then just drop the 'sin' after a few times.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Or hold your nose and pronounce to begin with 555

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

The old method I use is to say the English word 'singer' and then just drop the 'sin' after a few times.

That is actually a quite effective way to learn it. :001_Thank_You5:

That is actually a quite effective way to learn it. :001_Thank_You5:

I see the guy on the video was recommending that anyway. It's a great tip. I learned it from an American Foreign Service Institute course from the 1950's. 'Coming on' and then dropping the 'comin' is just as effective.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

My tgf always laughs when i try to say snake in thai ngu i never get it right

• 3 weeks later...

My teacher was ever so impressed today at how quickly I was able to do it correctly. (says little goody two shoes) Actually she said she has spent upto 15 minutes of intensive work on it with some students. She got me holding the throat and feeling the vibrations from the back of the tongue. The fact that I've come across it in other Asian languages helped of course.

Surprisingly, I struggled most with simple rising tones, so lost my brownie points there, given an mp3 of that part of the lesson and told to spend the weekend practising for homework. That's going to be interesting at football, instead of standing suggesting to the ref that he visits an optician, or that he spends a lot of time indulging in self love, I'll be chanting maa,mai,sai, wat or something, in a high pitched voice. On second thoughts might not be the best idea

But...what do I know?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

- Voltaire

My language teacher doesn't bat an eyelid when I constantly bugger-up the ng sound...bless her.

• 1 month later...

Excellent video, I just hate the NG word. Apparantly Germans have less difficilty learning it because they have lots of words like ACHTUNG etc.

• 5 months later...

I could never say it correctly for about 5 years until i started to read thai script , when i started to read it just came out of my mouth and i was shocked that i could get it straight away. Reading thai script really help me with speaking clearly.

ng is the start of one of the most important thai words of all time.. especially in pattaya... ngern...blair waa arai?????.... mai me ngern.. mai me naam phueng... its not the same in thai but for those who get.....

• 4 weeks later...

I could never say 'NG' until the Mrs suggested I stick my finger onto the back of my tounge to hold it down - the 'NG' sound would then come out perfectly!

It must of taken a whole year before I could despence with the finger insertions.....well into my mouth anyway.

That sure relieved me, as up to then I had to check if my hands were clean before I could attempt pronounce it :WhoSaw1: