IGNORED

USA Passport Renewal

iluvasians/latins

How soon before expiration can I reapply for a renewal of my passport? It expires in a little over a year. Don't want to get close to that 6 month rule for Thailand. Thanks.

I don't think there is a limit, I'm in the same place and planning on sending mine in soon.

I can answer this! I just did it.

My passport was full and to add pages was $80 versus $140 for a renewal and it was dead next March. So went online at the US State Dept and read up. They recommend you renew 9 months out to ensure that you get your passport in time if there is a backlog. I filled out the paperwork, submitted my two new pictures they require and shipped it off. No real problems at all. I went ahead and got the Photo ID card as well that can be used in Meixco and Canada but its a nice drivers license sized card you can use for backup ID.

The thing you need to keep in mind is most countries want you to have a valid passport for 6 months when you travel so you might as well just renew it when you have a break in your travel. The one thing I don't like is that the newer passports are stiff cardboard on the outside where the older ones didn't so you can't really shove it into your pocket unless its your back one. They are also loaded with the RFID chip which is why the passport cover is so stiff. I was going to "accidentally" microwave my passport to disable the damn thing but the State Dept got smart to that trick and have made it clear that if you disable the RFID you void the passport.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

• 1 month later...

cant ya just scrammble the chip?

hell, i don't pay for the sex, i pay for the freedom... its a ticket out the door with no obligations...