IGNORED

Computer not starting up

Digsy

Computer froze today so I manually restarted it.

It sounded like it was booting up normally but it makes no beep noises and has no display, anybody any idea on how to fix it or how much it would cost to fix?

www.reevoo.com/p/packard-bell-2414-q6600

That is the same computer so you can get the details in the link.

cheers for any advice as not good this happening with me just after booking a trip :/

As a test I would put the restore disk that should have come with the computer into the CD drive and trying booting from it. If the computer does boot do not do a restore as you will want to get your data off of the disk first.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

thats the thing, it didn't come with a restore disk :/

My mate says it might be teh video card or something, he said to unplug it, hold power button in for a bit then try again, or to do something with the battery. Inside of a computer is like the inside of a car bonnet for me ie I don't have a clue.

I'm gonna leave the thing with the power cable not connected whil I go to work and try again later. Thanks for teh advice anyway :)

Sorry it sounds like the problem i had a few months ago, i needed a new hard drive fitted.

(/y)

It all depends what you mean when you say it sounds like it's coming on.

Unless there are also on-board graphics which it can fall back on then a failure with the graphics card should be giving you error beeps on startup.

If the sounds you referred to are just the fan going around and maybe it checking the dvd drive but is not continuing to access the hard drive then it is most likely either the motherboard or processor that needs replacing - other hardware issue such as memory or graphics and you would be getting error beeps on startup so you can rule them out.

There is a slight chance it could be that something has gone wrong with the power supply and it is no longer giving the motherboard full power but this is not common.

It is extremely rare that a problem with the hard drive would cause nothing to come on screen at bootup, you should at least get the POST screen.

It wont be anything to do with the CMOS battery which you mentioned - this is only there to remember bios settings. If this fails the computer would boot up to the post screen and tell you the time and date are wrong.

So, without seeing it I would put my money on it being the motherboard or the prosessor which have failed.

Hope this helps.

Remove the battery. Replace the battery and plug in the computer to the power cable. Make sure you have a power light on the cable as well as the computer. Try plugging in something else to the outlet to make sure its getting power to the outlet. (A lamp?)

Give it about 10 minutes to charge the computer and then try a reboot. I suspect it might be a problem with the battery or it just isn't getting electric. Worth a try...

Edited by SlickMonkey

Remove the battery. Replace the battery and plug in the computer to the power cable. Make sure you have a power light on the cable as well as the computer. Try plugging in something else to the outlet to make sure its getting power to the outlet. (A lamp?)

Give it about 10 minutes to charge the computer and then try a reboot. I suspect it might be a problem with the battery or it just isn't getting electric. Worth a try...

It sounds like you are referring to a laptop - the link he has is for a tower.

I understand that you don't see anything on the screen at any time.

before doing anything drastic, check if the num-lock led on your keyboard goes on and off, after waiting the usual time of the full boot sequence, when you press the num-lock key.

That is a good indication that the system is still responsive. The first thing to check then is the monitor. Check if the power is on and that all the cables are still plugged in correctly.

If possible get hold of another monitor and try it. If it's still not showing anything with a different monitor then you are probaly facing one of the problems posted by xrayspecs.

Edited by MTiber

Sorry first post I wrote was for a laptop.

A desktop - no beeps, no post, but has power. This is most likely issue with your motherboard.

Probably the CMOS or a capacitor on the motherboard has blown.

Before you switch the PC back on tonight. Open the case. Check the CMOS battery on the motherboard & clean off an dust & reseat the battery.

Leave the case open, turn power on & check what happens. Most motherboards have will have an LED light on the board that lights up when it's receiving power. If that light comes on & nothing else, most likely your motherboard is jacked.

Normal place for fans in a computer are on the video card, CPU, motherboard & power supply. If none of these are spinning issues with the motherboard.

Edited by 1981bob

Try to isolate if it is a hardware or software issue. Do a visual inspection of your cabling from computer to monitor and verify all is connected well, then boot up. If you see absolutely NOTHING come up, (i.e. your display doesn't even power on), but you hear your computer boot normally,then it is likely your video card or monitor.

If something comes up but it just hangs somewhere along the way, it is probably your hard drive that is at fault.

Try swapping out monitors to see if that works. if this doesn't work try booting up from a Linux Live CD. A Live CD bypasses booting up from Hard drive and If it boots, then that indicates something is wrong with your hard drive.

Good luck,

ZGF

Hi guys thanks for all the help.

Havn't had time to look inside, prob sunday when I 'm off work I'll look at it. I turned it on but no joy and checked the keyboard for any lights but nothing happened. The monitor works but goes straight to stand by after I turn on the computer.

When I say about it sounding like it boots up, it makes the same noises it usually does except with no beeps then goes quiet and just clicks.

As I say I'll have a better look at it this weekend and hopefully figure out whats up. Is it buggered if it needs a new motherboard?

As I say I'll have a better look at it this weekend and hopefully figure out whats up. Is it buggered if it needs a new motherboard?

Depends how old it & how much it cost you.

Getting the motherboard replaced will probably cost you £100-150.

If anything changes after re-seating the CMOS, use can use these beep codes:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Sounds like something is loose or dead..

Since buying a mac i have long forgotten the headache and bull***t of windows / pc's

Since buying a mac i have long forgotten the headache and bull***t of windows / pc's

Only difference is when the motherboard goes on a Mac it costs £800+ to replace. They both fail, we fix them all the time.

Edited by xrayspecs

Got it fixed, was a motherboard problem :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Just trying tow work out how to get my screen resolution back as it's not quite right although I think I might have to reinstall live messenger as it hasn't got any contacts :/