IGNORED

Visa for Laos

riki

Hi all

Can anybody advise me on the visa requirements for myself and a Thai national wanting to visit Laos for a week or two?

I'm planning a little trip with the G/F there in April...At present she only has an ID card..

I have a British passport with multi o visa for thailand.

Will she require a passport and will she require a visa?

We are planning on entering via Vientenne (freindship bridge)..

Thanks for any input.

riki

i think they can enter on their ID card and get a 'border pass' but i guess it would be a lot of extra work and once in Laos i am not sure how long they can stay.

If it i was me i would tell her to get a passport to be safe i think she has enough time. Anything related to visa's or 'fees' can be sorted at the friendship bridge.

Or you can ask her to call the Lao embassy in Bangkok http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/

You can get 30 day visa on the border or arrival which will cost you USD 30 and USD 1 extra if you do not have a passport size photo. Make sure you have USD, otherwise they will charge you 1,500 baht which is around USD 50. Thai person do not require a visa and can enter for free.

Edited by ringadingding

Thai person do not require a visa and can enter for free.

But only for 3 days without a passport and it's certainly not free !!!!!!!! ( nominal charge for border pass )

Went to Lao last summer, Friendly bridge.... Cost me 2,000 approx for Lao visa to be stamped on my Passport, Didn;t cost my TG a bahts..... She wont need a passport, A ID is good enough... But My TG is from Nong Khai which is on the border to Lao, Dont know if it applied to a thai who lives afar such as Bangkok or Surin....

Edited by jocky king

• 4 months later...

Mate I been over the Friendly bridge heaps of time with my Thai GF. Yes Thais do not have to pay for a visa but it'll cost you a bit more than $30 USD, it's $30 for Aussies (well they built the fucking bridge after all) and UK passport is a bit more, not sure maybe $32 or $35. Thais can go over on the ID card and get a border pass but this is only good for 3 days. So for a longer stay, in your case, 1-2 weeks your GF will need a passport, unless she keeps doing border hops every 3 days, and that's no good if you plan on traveling up to LP.

Just noticed this is an old post, dated Feb, so you've probably been and returned by now. So you know it all already...