IGNORED

Cheap Bangkok Hotels

Chris Pattaya

For all you Cheap Charlies out there may I recommend the Chaleena hotel and Chaleena Princess on Ramkamheng 65.

With rates at 700baht and 479 baht respectivly including breakfast they are a great, cheap way to not break the bank in Bangkok.

Not in the heart of town but certainly in the heart of studenty, trendy, Ramkamheng they have water taxi access to all of Bangkok whilst a regular taxi is around 70 baht to Soi 4 and Nana action.

With a clientele of short-timing Thais, horny students, Asian businespeople and Thai families they are clean, friendly and great value.

They have real hotel pretentions with smart uniformed staff, great service and an ok pool and 24 hour coffee shop.

I like them, but then I'm a cheap bastard.

Oh, and you can get a nice serviced appartment in the area for 300 baht a night. Clean, well decorated, secure with TV, hot shower and fridge.

Edited by Chris Pattaya

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

If This is the place you are talking about the online rates are between 1200-3000 for the Princess and 2000-4000 for the hotel.

Edited by BassGod

If This is the place you are talking about the online rates are between 1200-3000 for the Princess and 2000-4000 for the hotel.

Yup!

Those are the places.

The Princess advertises it rooms at 479 baht all over Thailand! (Big blue signs, in Thai, with yellow 479 in centre) whilst the Chaleena has its 700 baht price on the huge sign in the car park.

Stayed at both during the last month so I know the prices are correct.

Guess t'internet isn't always the best way to book.

Yup!

Those are the places.

The Princess advertises it rooms at 479 baht all over Thailand! (Big blue signs, in Thai, with yellow 479 in centre) whilst the Chaleena has its 700 baht price on the huge sign in the car park.

Stayed at both during the last month so I know the prices are correct.

*WARNING. The above statement was prepared in a factory that uses irony. It may contain irony. It cannot be guaranteed as irony free. Readers with an adverse reaction to irony or irony based products should consume a pinch of salt before reading. Readers who have are known irony-deficient should seek professional help before continuing*

'I'd like to congratulate Chris Pattaya on being the smuggest cnut ever shat into God's creation', Unknown Mango Sauce contributer.

Yup, I never book ahead. Walk in rate is always better.

For all you Cheap Charlies out there may I recommend the Chaleena Hotel and Chaleena Princess on Ramkamheng 65.

With rates at 700baht and 479 baht respectivly including breakfast they are a great, cheap way to not break the bank in Bangkok.

Not in the heart of town but certainly in the heart of studenty, trendy, Ramkamheng they have water taxi access to all of Bangkok whilst a regular taxi is around 70 baht to Soi 4 and Nana action.

With a clientele of short-timing Thais, horny students, Asian businespeople and Thai families they are clean, friendly and great value.

They have real hotel pretentions with smart uniformed staff, great service and an ok pool and 24 hour coffee shop.

I like them, but then I'm a cheap bastard.

Oh, and you can get a nice serviced appartment in the area for 300 baht a night. Clean, well decorated, secure with TV, hot shower and fridge.

Sounds like a deal! These rates are inclusive of breakfast, VAT, and service charge? For extra cheap charlies, do they offer discounts for weekly stays? Do the rates go up during high season?

Only drawback I see is that it's far from Sukhumvit. Any of the nearby malls within a short walking distance? How about entertainment venues? Is traffic in that part of town just as bad?

Rates are constant, fully inclusive and discounts are availiable. There seem to be more than a few TEFL teacher types living there.

The Mall, Bankapi, is in the vicinity, there are great streetmarkets and a Major Cineplex within walking distance. Traffic is notorious along Ramkamhaeng as there is the university and national sports stadium to contend with but it moves along easily enough. Not much in the way of adult entertainment but there are, of course, the usual Thai karaoke places (which I like!) and lots of bars catering to university students (Food and Drink, Soi 65 is good and cheap). Lad Prao is very close as is Bangkapi so there's plently to do if you don't fancy going to Suk.

I hope they are going to pay me for this.

Is there an MRT or Skytrain stop near either location?

Cowards die many times before their deaths;

The valiant never taste of death but once.

William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar", Act II Scene 2

have water taxi access to all of Bangkok whilst a regular taxi is around 70 baht to Soi 4 and Nana action.

So what's the quickest way to get to Sukhumvit other than catching a taxi between midnight and 6 a.m.? Skytrain and subway stations are nowhere nearby. You mentioned a water taxi. Are you talking about taking a boat via the sewage canal? Do they run all day and night? Being sprayed with raw sewage isn't very appealing.

So what's the quickest way to get to Sukhumvit other than catching a taxi between midnight and 6 a.m.? Skytrain and subway stations are nowhere nearby.

Umm......skytrains and subways are not open between midnight and six am so the lack of them is rather academic.

I tend to just use taxis (or tuk-tuks when really drunk...love 'em!) as they are great value in Thailand.

You mentioned a water taxi. Are you talking about taking a boat via the sewage canal? Do they run all day and night? Being sprayed with raw sewage isn't very appealing.

Yup, that's the boy.

Do as the Thais do and make sure you pull up that plastic screen; avoids 99.8% of all known ecoli!

Staying out of the centre isn't for everyone but if you know Bangkok and like to stay in places a little more Thai than the average Sukhumvit prowler then it's a great place.

I used to use a lovely place called SC Park on Lad Prao 94 until they increased the rates to 1600 a night (no breakfast) which is the same area, by and large. I just like the choice of not being quite such a tourist.

• 1 month later...

Chris Pattaya,

I may stay at Chaleena hotel for a few days. Always looking for a new adventure.

Got some questions, if you don't mind:

(1) Do you know if the rate has changed?

(2) Do walk-in rates apply to single foreigners or must you have a Thai companion?

(3) Are safes available in the rooms or at the registration desk?

(4) Easy/fast to the new airport? Approx time?

(5) Which floor has the horny female students?

(6) Difficult getting a room during high season?

(7) Is the closest subway station Suttisan or Lad Prao? Quickest way to/from the station?

(8) How does Chaleena Princess differ other than price?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I missed your post.

The hotles are both ok, you know, despite what you may have read on another board.

Cheap and certainly cheerful.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to have a t-shirt made with big bold letters that reads "monger on vacation" and try to register LOL