IGNORED

Thai Airways Business Class

lloydb

Hey boys,

I'm booked to come to LOS with Thai Airways from LA and am going business class. How are the business seats on Thai airways? Some of the reviews say that the seats do fully recline but are still at an angle making it difficult to sleep. I like the pods that Air Canada and Jet Airways have but this flight was the best timing for me.

Anyone with experience I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks

Lloyd

I flew Thai Air business class from LAX to BKK in November. The seats are not lie flat...they are at a 170 degree angle. I found it difficult to sleep...I kept sliding down the seat. I prefer Cathay Pacific business class. The trade-off is that the Cathay Pacific flight is not non-stop (LAX--HKG--BKK).

Thai Airways fleet is a bit long in the tooth but what they lack in quality they make up for in service.

Funniest review I ever read said something like 'the plane was so old I almost went up the back for a cigarette'.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I find there is too much adrenalin pumping to sleep on the way to LOS, so don't give a rats about the seating. but lucky for me it's only a 9 hour flight.

coming home is different - so fucked out I don't care.

I can have this at home............................or this in LOS, thats why I go

post-25755-0-87905900-1355607024.jpg                   post-25755-0-06858900-1359758265.jpg

Most of TGs 747 that old, that I assume they were equipped with propellers when they got them delivered.

I spite of being a Gold member, I prefer to use TG only on flights where they won’t use 747s (e.g. Oslo, Zurich, etc.).

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

I flew Thai Air business class from LAX to BKK in November. The seats are not lie flat...they are at a 170 degree angle. I found it difficult to sleep...I kept sliding down the seat. I prefer Cathay Pacific business class. The trade-off is that the Cathay Pacific flight is not non-stop (LAX--HKG--BKK).

Did they have the monitors on the back of the seats?

I've pretty much heard all the same stuff about old planes and the seats not being true "lie flat" seats. And it would suck if you're trying to sleep and all of a sudden you slide down, it just doesn't seem like it would be a comfortable 16 hours.

I prefer Cathay Pacific business class. The trade-off is that the Cathay Pacific flight is not non-stop (LAX--HKG--BKK).

G Baht, I would love to take that flight but I'm using aeroplan and Cathay is not an alliance member so I can't use my points with them.

With all the input I'm thinking just use Air Canada, even with a stopover in HKG it might be a better idea.

As Pepe said the service is great but the planes, at least on the UK route, are getting old now.

Personally I find the seats comfortabe enough to sleep in and you can wedge yourself at a slight angle so you do not slide around. You should be able to check on their website as to plane used on your route but I believe all the 747s have the 170 degree bed.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

Leadpencil: Yeah I just checked and it is the 170 degree seats. The only bonus of the flight from LAX is that it's direct which I want. I'm booked with Thai right now but could always change to Air Canada (which has the pods and 180 degree lie flats). But I think I'll just suck it up and take Thai.

Here's are review

BKK-LAX horrible seat for sleeping. Slant, uncomfortable padding, no room for your elbows! Good legroom and space for your stuff, but that's about it!

More can be found here.

http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/tg-f-2.htm

I like flying Thai for the good service and hope they will stick to the ambitious upgrading plan

Here's are review

BKK-LAX horrible seat for sleeping. Slant, uncomfortable padding, no room for your elbows! Good legroom and space for your stuff, but that's about it!

More can be found here.

http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/tg-f-2.htm

I like flying Thai for the good service and hope they will stick to the ambitious upgrading plan

Thanks for the info I will check it out. And I was wrong in my previous post, it says that the flight I booked is on the Airbus A340-500. Not sure if this is better than the 747. Again thanks for the link I will check it out.

But I think I'll just suck it up and take Thai.

You won't be disappointed with the quality of the hostesses and, if you're a drinker, their happiness to ply you with alcohol.

I've never flown Thai longhaul on an airbus. Be interesting to hear what it was like so don't forget to update us on here (and have a peep in economy for all us cattle classers :D)

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

That's the same experience I had. Although the seats do go 'flat'. They are not horizontal, I couldn't really sleep in them either.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

You won't be disappointed with the quality of the hostesses and, if you're a drinker, their happiness to ply you with alcohol.

I've never flown Thai longhaul on an airbus. Be interesting to hear what it was like so don't forget to update us on here (and have a peep in economy for all us cattle classers :D)

Oh I'm a drinker alright, i think they might re-consider the free drinks after I'm done with them haha. But I've been reading the seat revies and getting mixed opinions. Oh well, I guess its a risk i gotta take, and I'll definitely say hi to the coachers in the back of the plane hahaha.

I have flown that route and those seats many times. You do tend to slide down when you try to sleep, but I love the straight shot into BKK. The arrival time is nice too, usually around 7:00 am.

Happy to be there.

I have flown both Businessclass (front of the plane) and Premium Eco (upstairs) on numerous occasions with Thai and always in the old 747.

The seats are decent but not more and no personal entertainment yet.

Here are a few pics from Pre Eco:

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

Johnny Wilde

CEO - Heavydrinking Hardcore Mongers Union of Pattaya

"You only pass through this life once, you never come back for encores!" - Elvis Presley

"You guys took "normal mongering" and shot it full of nitroglycerin and then set a match to it" - thumper63

This seems to be the consensus from everyone so far about Thai business class. And thanks for the pics Johnny, much appreciated. I think I will just book the United airlines first class (same # of points) and it seems to be alot nicer than TG. It has a stopover but I don't mind, it still puts me in the night before the TG one does. I know I'd get frustrated with the 170 degree lie flats.

Johnny, how did you deal with a 12+ hour flight without any IFE??????? I can barely do 3 hours without a TV on board. The one from LAX is the newer airbus a340 so I'm guessing it has this feature.

I really appreciate the comments and feedback boys, thanks alot.

Lloyd

This seems to be the consensus from everyone so far about Thai business class. And thanks for the pics Johnny, much appreciated. I think I will just book the United airlines first class (same # of points) and it seems to be alot nicer than TG. It has a stopover but I don't mind, it still puts me in the night before the TG one does. I know I'd get frustrated with the 170 degree lie flats.

Johnny, how did you deal with a 12+ hour flight without any IFE??????? I can barely do 3 hours without a TV on board. The one from LAX is the newer airbus a340 so I'm guessing it has this feature.

I really appreciate the comments and feedback boys, thanks alot.

Lloyd

Well my flight takes only 10 h 30 min :P

But I have my 10.1" notebook with my own movies, series and music to keep me entertained throughout the flight and I drink myself comfortably numb before I pop pill just to wake up in time for breakfast.....I am soooo low maintenance :D

The A340 has, to my knowledge, all modern commodities! If you are uncertain just checkout seatguru.com!

Johnny Wilde

"You only pass through this life once, you never come back for encores!" - Elvis Presley

"You guys took "normal mongering" and shot it full of nitroglycerin and then set a match to it" - thumper63

Well my flight takes only 10 h 30 min :P

But I have my 10.1" notebook with my own movies, series and music to keep me entertained throughout the flight and I drink myself comfortably numb before I pop pill just to wake up in time for breakfast.....I am soooo low maintenance :D

The A340 has, to my knowledge, all modern commodities! If you are uncertain just checkout seatguru.com!

Good call on bringing your own entertainment. I just got back from Vegas and was on a US air flight that had no IFE and I didn't bring anything to read or watch. Man was I bored!!!

And I think from looking at seatguru I'm just gonna book United First class with a stop in Seoul. Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it. I'm there May 1-18 so if you're there let me know I'll buy you a round.

Lloyd

Business class with Thai is good.

Seats are not flat beds but I always sleep good.

Give me 24/48 hours & I will post some pics.

London to Bangkok is direct & the prices are about 2,000 pounds sterling for a 12 month ticket.

Thai in 2012 starts a new fit out with all its seats.

Thai also takes delivery of its first A380 in 2013.

Good value IMO if you have the money as for me its direct, great times & lovely service.

:001_Thank_You5:

you'll enjoy the UA first class seats (unless you fly on one of the 777s that has not been upgraded yet)...as has been mentioned, the service on thai is top-notch...UA pales in comparison...the stop in narita is not bad...you can use the first class lounge that has showers and free beer/drinks

Haven't flown TG for a while. Do the staff still fill up the business class section with free upgrades for their friends and relatives?

I have flown both Businessclass (front of the plane) and Premium Eco (upstairs) on numerous occasions with Thai and always in the old 747.

The seats are decent but not more and no personal entertainment yet.

Here are a few pics from Pre Eco:

Them seats that you were in Premium economy were the Business class seats when I first flew Business class with Thai about 15 years back.

50 inch seat pitch I recall.

Great pics mate.

Them seats that you were in Premium economy were the Business class seats when I first flew Business class with Thai about 15 years back.

50 inch seat pitch I recall.

Great pics mate.

I didn't bring my tapemeasurer but it was large enough for my booty anyway :P

It also accurate that it's the old biz-class before they introduced the Pre-eco class upstairs and kept the real Biz in front of the curtain.

I flew Biz 10 years ago and according to my old kodaks the seats are just the same!

Johnny Wilde

hi guys, i am flying from heathrow to bkk with thai airways on march 31st. its my first time with thai airways but i wont be going bussiness class as first and foremost i am a cheapskate so i always go economy, secondly even if i was a millionaire i still think i would go economy because i really dont see the value for money in paying such a lot more, i have an advantage of having really short legs so legroom never bothers me. ife doesnt bother me either, when i am on the way to thailand, i am so excited, i dont watch films or listen to music, i just run over what i am gonna do in my head. on the way home however its a case of not wanting to be entertained as i am trying to get over thoughts of killing myself or even worse, arriving in england. so i can safely say that i am really looking forward to this flight, for me, the thai trolley dolleys will more than make up for the fact that there is no in flight entertainment..lets have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!