IGNORED

Thai gold

bmwman

Where is the best place to buy gold in Pattaya ?

Soi buakhao as you turn left top of Diana good jewelers on left

Cheers for that

Soi buakhao as you turn left top of Diana good jewelers on left

Have you bought there yourself?

I ask as I might buy some gold next trip but have no prior experience in buying and would like to know why you recommend that place over others.

:001_Thank_You5:

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

I have a semi related question.

I met a girl last trip and when I head back I want to buy her some jewelry because she just recently had her birthday.

Do the girls prefer Thai gold?

I was going to buy sometime in Australia and just take it over but have heard from one person they prefer Thai gold.

She can do do what she wants with the jewelry...I mean I know that some/many like it so they have something to pawn if things get tough. I kinda hope she would keep it but I am under not illusions. This is Thailand and Pattaya after all.

Any help would be of assistance...thanks. If Thailand gold is the preference then I will watch this thread to find a good place to buy it.

Edited by ThaiTrav

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I met a girl last trip and when I head back I want to buy her some jewelry because she just recently had her birthday.

I was going to buy sometime in Australia and just take it over but have heard from one person they prefer Thai gold.

She can do do what she wants with the jewelry...I mean I know that some/many like it so they have something to pawn if things get tough. I kinda hope she would keep it but I am under not illusions. This is Thailand and Pattaya after all.

Any help would be of assistance...thanks. If Thailand gold is the preference then I will watch this thread to find a good place to buy it.

I expect you want to suprise her but in my experience it is better to take them to the shop and let them choose. They do prefer Thai gold so definately get it there. You can still make the suprise be telling her 'tomorrow we go to buy you gold'.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Have some related questions: Is the price same same in Bangkok and Pattaya? Or is there some price difference choosing to buy it in the capital? Do you guys bargain?

Edited by Hermes

Why is there a "best place"? What makes it the best? I figure all places would be the same price.

no they are not all the same price each shop raises the market rate for 'workmanship' or the design.

I could imagine that when a western man enters with a TG that it would/could be easier for the shop to raise the price compared to a Thai man entering with a TG since the western man is most likely on vacation and maybe has no idea about the normal price/value for Thai gold- add to the factor that the western is most likely wanting to impress the TG and she shop assistant knows this. Just an assumption.

I could imagine that when a western man enters with a TG that it would/could be easier for the shop to raise the price compared to a Thai man entering with a TG since the western man is most likely on vacation and maybe has no idea about the normal price/value for Thai gold- add to the factor that the western is most likely wanting to impress the TG and she shop assistant knows this. Just an assumption.

You could well be correct which is I guess why we need some BMs with gold purchasing experience to suggest good shops. Or you could just give her the $ and tell her to go buy it herself.

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Have some related questions: Is the price same same in Bangkok and Pattaya? Or is there some price difference choosing to buy it in the capital? Do you guys bargain?

It is relatively safe and easy to buy gold all over Thailand, provided you buy it from a well established gold shop most of them are. Most of them are traditional Chinese-Thai gold shops, distinctive for their completely red and gold interiors.

All Thai gold shops have a board which displays the current gold price (buying /selling), the price is related to one baht Thai Gold.

Every shop in Thailand follows the gold price set by the Thailand Gold Traders Association. Thai Gold price does not fluctuate very often like the world gold market, it normally changes one to four times in a day except on holidays and Thai Gold shops immediately change their display prices when the price is announced. You can also check the latest Thai gold prices here.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

no they are not all the same price each shop raises the market rate for 'workmanship' or the design.

Just wonder how you know about that? :Laugh1:

Maybe from an extensive shopping trip with the missus to some red coloured shops, begging her for forgiveness for some of your nightly adventures? :Jail1:

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

• 4 months later...

Over the years I have purchased gold items from various gold shops in Pattaya and all have been OK.

I have also sold items of gold back to various Pattaya shops and have made a good profit ( buy low sell high theory) when the price was up of course.

However by far the best place to buy gold is in Chinatown, Bangkok. I say this not on a price issue but on the sheer volume of gold shops. There must be in excess of 50 shops in the Chinatown area and the gold is in all shapes and sizes with some very interesting shapes. One gold item was in the shape of a mens waist belt.

It is well worth a look as Chinatown, Bangkok gold shops makes the Pattaya gold shops look like 7/11 stores.

I'm by no means an expert on gold, but I've heard many Thai girls say they had to go to more than one gold shop before they got a good deal when they were trying to sell it (and no, I didn't buy it for them). So regardless of what the standard price might be, don't expect the first store you walk into to give you a fair deal. If Thais frequently have to go to more than one store to get a good deal, it probably pays to shop more than one as a farang.

How can you tell if your wife is dead?

The sex is the same, but the dishes pile up.

Thai gold is 23 k, whereas in the west, it can be 9k for hard wearing or 22k for good stuff. Easy to research online. Also, necklaces can be exchanged cheaply. I think we paid about 600 bt last time to change a half baht necklace.

• 2 months later...

I've never tried it, but someone told me.

That buying gold at one shop, and selling it at another shop was cheaper than taking a cash advance on your credt card.

He said you lose about 6%, compared with cash advance fee's, foriegn exchange fee's, ATM fee's plus the higher interest rates most Creit Card's charge for cash advance. He could be right, it would take some time to see where to buy and where to sell.

Gold bars are better if your doing it for this reason, why pay for labor you don't care about.

I recommend to you Mike Jewelry 564/2 South Pattaya. Shop is on Beach Road about two hundred metres before enter WS. Owner thai man has glasses. He is in the know and pleasant very much. I am sure he help you about everything

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

• 1 month later...

Buying Thai gold - is it possible to buy some in Pattaya, take it back to UK and sell in order to make a profit?

Even if the profit is only small this offsets the cost of the trip or goes towards the cost of the next trip.

Any comments?

In regards to the australian Gold question , i have purchased australian gold 24 k gold from gold shops in cabbramatta in sydneys west and sold it in bangkok for a proffit.As the australian 24k gold is higher in purity , each gold shop was visibly impressed as soon as they saw the piece i was selling . Thay will just melt it down and make something else out of it .

As for gold in thailand , most stores stamp their pieces that they sell so its easy to indentify what has come from there store , i have found they a slightly better price when i want to trade up to another piece from their store

• 4 weeks later...

Thai gold is as close to pure gold as you can get. The western stuff is rarely as high quality. And they go largely off the weight of the item.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years I have purchased gold items from various gold shops in Pattaya and all have been OK.

I have also sold items of gold back to various Pattaya shops and have made a good profit ( buy low sell high theory) when the price was up of course.

However by far the best place to buy gold is in Chinatown, Bangkok. I say this not on a price issue but on the sheer volume of gold shops. There must be in excess of 50 shops in the Chinatown area and the gold is in all shapes and sizes with some very interesting shapes. One gold item was in the shape of a mens waist belt.

It is well worth a look as Chinatown, Bangkok gold shops makes the Pattaya gold shops look like 7/11 stores.

Amen to that. I've never been there but doing computer search, I came to the same same conclision. Besides that, I had a piece custom made and it was done in Bangkok and sent to Patts. Another time I was going to buy a big fat bracelet and it was too small, no long enough. I asked if he could make it longer and was told that he would have to send it to Bangkok to get that done. I asked why are the bracelets so short and was told that they were made for Thai sized wrist, not farang. So I asked, "Do you have a lot of Thai people trying to buy gold piece for 165,000 baht?" Got a smile .

Have you bought there yourself?

I ask as I might buy some gold next trip but have no prior experience in buying and would like to know why you recommend that place over others.

Yes its a good place

I have bought Thai gold in bkk and pattaya and got fair deals both times. The one on Buakhao across from left near subway sold me three items all of which were gifts.I also bought from dubai and had both looked at and was told by a jeweller that gold quality was good and worth the prices I paid. Thai girls also know the best quality gold as when you buy them an item they have to sell it afterwards and want the best stuff. Only my experience with past few years buying few items. I have bought gifts in 22/23/24kt from all over s.e asia Indian gold,gold in UAE,Pakistan,Iran and Thailand all are very differant in quality and impurities but the Thai seems good stuff.

Be careful of buying stuff off the streets though in the UK and Europe a scam exist with asian gold being made out of aluminium and dipped in gold they make them out of the same stamps tools that the real stuff is made with and lots are getting scammed so only buy from real gold shops