IGNORED

Women Who Say "Krub"

expatdude

Have you ever heard a female cashier say "Khap khun krub?" I have, many times.

It turns out the rule that men say krub and women say kha is not etched in stone. Just recently I heard a older Thai man say "Kha" to his daughter (one way of saying yes). So just when you thought you'd figured out all the rules, you find exceptions. Ain't that the way it always goes?

women often say 'khrup' to their male children or relatives, they don't want them hearing 'Ka' all the time and growing up gay.

Women also say 'khrup' to farangs who speak Thai, they are trying to make you more polite by saying khrup they hope you start using it more.

Have you ever heard a female cashier say "Khap khun krub?" I have, many times.

It turns out the rule that men say krub and women say kha is not etched in stone. Just recently I heard a older Thai man say "Kha" to his daughter (one way of saying yes). So just when you thought you'd figured out all the rules, you find exceptions. Ain't that the way it always goes?

I have never come across that so I cannot comment. I think I will stick with the Krup

If it was in 7/1l etc maybe a tomboy

Toms always use the male Krub. Also many "toms" dont actually look like toms due to it being unacceptable at work (I know many who wear skirts to work and they have to wear to school. University etc)) but they will still speak as a Male.

Only men i have ever heard use Kha are gay ...................so watch out :P

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

women often say 'khrup' to their male children or relatives, they don't want them hearing 'Ka' all the time and growing up gay.

Women also say 'khrup' to farangs who speak Thai, they are trying to make you more polite by saying khrup they hope you start using it more.

When my wife calls her son, I often hear her say “baat” (the Khmer equivalent of “khrup”) to correct her son if he does not answer politely enough.

I had the same with my ex when talking to her son she would say khrup when talking to her neice Ka. was for their benifit to teach them. from what she told me anyways

It's definitely not just toms and gays. Older men sometimes use kha to their daughters, and many times the women who said krub to me were clearly not toms. It's definitely not exclusively a farang thing either. I've heard this between Thais, also.

Have you ever heard a female cashier say "Khap khun krub?" I have, many times.It turns out the rule that men say krub and women say kha is not etched in stone. Just recently I heard a older Thai man say "Kha" to his daughter (one way of saying yes). So just when you thought you'd figured out all the rules, you find exceptions. Ain't that the way it always goes?

It's definitely not just toms and gays. Older men sometimes use kha to their daughters, and many times the women who said krub to me were clearly not toms. It's definitely not exclusively a farang thing either. I've heard this between Thais, also.

I posted the same question some months ago.

I have noticed this as an increasing phenomenon and believe it is more to do with a kind of Feminist thing coming to the fore in Thailand, which is fine.

As for the other posters, yes, mothers will say it to their sons to promote the correct response (Khrap- a sexual identity thing) and likewise, fathers will say it to their daughter for the same reason. I was in the same position as you, thinking that I had gotten the rules and now couldn't understand what was going on.

I have asked many folks, both Thai and Farang and the closest I got to confirming my suspicion was:

a: A younger Thai girl said "I am a young girl and we say Khrap" and : my lawyer who said "Thai women are no longer happy to be seen as soft, prissy girls"

Also you should know that a young girl who says it to an older man could be regarded as being disrespectful so say "Khun Mai Suparb" You are not polite. But be prepared for a backlash.

Hope it doesn't go too far, if they lose their Femininity too much then they will have lost the edge. Then I will have to head off to the Philippines.........

Just to temper that, lots of Thai girls will tell you that it means nothing so in informal situations, where the age group is similar, don't worry about it.It's an empathy thing, ie trying to align themselves with you in a support kind of thing. Especially if you can speak a reasonable amount of Thai.

Bloody complicated but you could always try to remain oblivious....

"Remember, you've never lost the girl, only your turn"

Yeah, it's complicated, but I enjoy trying to figure things out.

When my wife calls her son, I often hear her say “baat” (the Khmer equivalent of “khrup”) to correct her son if he does not answer politely enough.

'baat' - Is that pronounced like baht, as in Thai baht?

I have asked many folks, both Thai and Farang and the closest I got to confirming my suspicion was:

a: A younger Thai girl said "I am a young girl and we say Khrap" and : my lawyer who said "Thai women are no longer happy to be seen as soft, prissy girls"

Also you should know that a young girl who says it to an older man could be regarded as being disrespectful so say "Khun Mai Suparb" You are not polite. But be prepared for a backlash.

Hope it doesn't go too far, if they lose their Femininity too much then they will have lost the edge. Then I will have to head off to the Philippines.........

The first step in fighting this is firing your lawyer if she speaks like a man.

Edited by McFly

'baat' - Is that pronounced like baht, as in Thai baht?

The first step in fighting this is firing your lawyer if she speaks like a man.

Transliteration of Thai (or Khmer/Cambodian) is always a tricky business but IMO other West-European languages are at least more suitable than English for that purpose.

Personally I would not transliterate “ครับ” as “khrup”, but rather as “krab” (with the “a” of “Thai”) and I often hear it pronounced as “kraap”.

And yes, “baat” in Khmer/Cambodian is pronounced more or less like “baht” if you prefer that transliteration.

I posted the same question some months ago.

I have noticed this as an increasing phenomenon and believe it is more to do with a kind of Feminist thing coming to the fore in Thailand, which is fine.

As for the other posters, yes, mothers will say it to their sons to promote the correct response (Khrap- a sexual identity thing) and likewise, fathers will say it to their daughter for the same reason. I was in the same position as you, thinking that I had gotten the rules and now couldn't understand what was going on.

Just to temper that, lots of Thai girls will tell you that it means nothing so in informal situations, where the age group is similar, don't worry about it.It's an empathy thing, ie trying to align themselves with you in a support kind of thing. Especially if you can speak a reasonable amount of Thai.

I do not think it is a feminist thing.

Nowadays many (older) ladies in Europe expect or demand to be called “Mrs.” Instead of “Miss”, even if they are not married, but the employee at the SCB insisted that I call her “Miss Paa”, not “Mrs. Paa”.

• 2 weeks later...

Yer i always here female casiers say Krub to me also, i think they are trying to tech us guys to be more polite..