Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

GSM Cell Phone

Tony59329

Hi Guys,

Is it cheaper to buy GSM cell phone when I get to Patts or buy one here in the US?

If you just want a cheap thing then patts, if you want something decent probably the US

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

If you buy in the US, you might have to get it unlocked. Don't forget to check the frequency band the phone uses to make sure you can use it in Thailand. Also, its not as easy to buy a phone not attached to a contract in the US. It can be done, but you'll be paying a lot more for the phone.

If you're only going to use the phone when in Thailand, you might want to consider picking up a used one when you get to Thailand. You can find used ones for a good price and in great condition.

Buy a used one in Thailand. No worries if it the correct band, unlocked, or problems charging it on 220 volts.

Happy to be there.

I got a good deal on an unlocked quad band phone on ebay, I use it at home and in LOS, I just swap out the sim card. One less thing to do when I get there.

Buy a used one in Thailand. No worries if it the correct band, unlocked, or problems charging it on 220 volts.

You really don't have to worry about charging issues anymore. Every charger I have is for 100-240V AC and 50/60Hz. This means I could charge my Thai phone in the US without needing any converter and vice versa. Just plug it in the outlet. The only issue you could possibly have is if the plug doesn't match the outlet you have in your home or hotel.

Edited by rowyco

Even if you buy a better phone, say an unlocked smartphone, up on Amazon, it will be slightly cheaper than the same in Thailand. Also, if you get a US warranty, at least you will get someone who will honor the warranty. The Thai phones have warranty, but if the phone is DOA, or goes bad in a couple of days, you can probably exchange the first one if you bought it at a large establishment, like the name store (Samsung, Nokia, etc) or a DTAC store, however, if you buy it at small vendor you will probably be sent to the appropriate service center to get it fixed under warranty and not receive an exchange. A problem if you are leaving. Also, the phone is warranted in Thailand. If you take it back to US and pop in an AT&T or T-Mobile sim and the phone happens to break, US will not honor Thai warranty. So it depends what you are going to do with the phone. If you are going to use it back in the in USA, I would say but it there if you spend the majority of your time there.