IGNORED

Photography in Pattaya

bigbseeker

I've carried my SLR all over Pattaya with no issues at all. What's the point in having one if you're just going to baby it :).

I took my DSLR ( nikonD5000 ) with me for the first time my last trip November 2010 and had no problems whats so ever took it with me everywhere day and night , and cant believe I ave never took it before .. at the end of the day its all about common sense

the only time I would'nt venture out with it is , if u go during Songran festival,and the height of the rainy season , other than that I would take it , u wont regret it ,

Here's a sample piccy I took with mine

Nice clear photo mate,just recently purchsed a D5000,but not had much time to use it yet

was just wundering what setting and mode you shot that photo in. :Chokdee:

I traveled throughout Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand last year with my Canon 5D MkII and Leica M8 with no problems at all. I always kept them around my neck or securely wrapped around my wrist with the shoulder strap so they would have to yank my arm off if they tried to snatch it. I'm a fairly big dude though so that may have thwarted any desires from 120lb thai men wanting to snatch a camera from a 230lb white boy =)

Multiple 5 x 120lb Thai men?, they don't rob and steal solo mate,

it's usually a small group and your white skin makes you a prime target.

I think Pattaya is a safer place than London or Paris. Just be careful with your camera and you'll be alright. Avoid doing stupid things like walking around in a deserted soi with a D700 + huge 24-70 or leaving it unattended for example.

I've just bought an amateur DSLR (D7000) and I'll bring it with me on my next trip with a small, discreet lens (35 f/1.8) so it won't be the end of the world if something happens.

One place of interest when it comes to photography is the Sanctuary of Truth. You'll find some interesting perspectives there.

I will definitely check out Sanctuary of Truth with my D90 + 30mm f/1.4 Thanks for the recommendation.

On my first trip I brought my Nikon D80. Felt like a complete knob carrying it around and hence didn't use it.

I now have a Nokia N8 with a 12 megapixel camera and xenon flash, easily more useful and it has the ability to edit pics, for instance distorting TG's faces, giving them bigger tits etc which is always amusing, well it is for me anyway. Has 48Gb of storage, so more than enough for films, pix, MP3's, games etc.

I would never bring a DSLR to Thailand again.

You have any N8 examples?

"Don't tempt poor people" is the template. Not that all poor people steal. And plenty rich do.

Day or night, I'd be careful.

There's a thread on here about a bloke (British?) pouring beer over a random Korean (?) tourists camera on WS.

So I'd suspect "even" WS. Too many bellicose drunkards there for me to carry anything expensive.

Two Thais tried to steal my ex's chain at 1400-ish on second rd/soi 6.

I'd use my dslr in daylight but not night.

Edited by MONOCHROMEMAN

I've carried my Canon EOS7D, lenses and flash around Pattaya without problems. Not in the same stratum as slapman's pro rig, but still in the US$4000 range. I don't put myself in situations where taking it from me would be easy and I guess that's been good enough. One of the things people forget about is people sneaking stuff out of your bag when you're distracted and concentrating on a shot. I lost a flash in Rome this way -- my fault. If you're carrying a shoulder bag there's a tendency to slide it around back when setting up to shot, especially if you want to hold very steady. Better to bring around front even if it does add to back strain (something that piles up with a bag of semi-pro gear and a full day of shooting).

I really like doing night shots and sunrise shots. But this can be a vulnerable situation since a tripod is usually involved and that limits your agility/escape options. That said, a good carbon fiber tripod with a solid ball head on it makes a dandy defensive weapon -- there's a guy in Paris knows that now too. (Removing the camera first is preferable). I like to have a trusted -- ideally trusted and large -- friend along if I'm doing night work in a questionable area.

I think it's kinda amusing that people put tape over their camera logos. If you're carrying good gear anyone who knows anything will know. And I can't imagine a group of grab-and-run thieves having a conversation that goes "Forget that guy, we're after Nikons today."

Edited by jasonbalmer

• 2 weeks later...

I keep mine in a backpack or another kind of bag until its ready for use. That way the only people who know you have it are the people who see you using it instead of all the people who see you walking around with it.

Insert link in signature:

| My photo blog of Pattaya & Thailand

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I love photography. Just wondering if it's safe to walk around Pattaya with an expensive DSLR? Any difference between day & night?

I'm going in August and I picked up a SunBounce camera strap the one that had a steel cable running thru it so that no one can cut the strap and runn of with the camera. Also the strap is secured to the tripod srew on the bottom of the camera. Black Rapid has a strap as well but does not have a steel cord running thru it. Have to check this strap out. When you have the strap on it put the camera behind your back a little and you can walk around with out hitting your lens. and you are ready for any shot grab your camera and shoot away.

Well I have this strap and it great you can get it at alot of photography stores online. Its a little pricey but I have to say I like it and I feel a little secure about my camera when I have it below are the spec's and some info.

The California Sunbounce Sun-Sniper Strap Pro (Black with Black Accents) is to carry a D-SLR camera with an attached lens. It has a shock absorber that is integrated in the strap and makes carrying the camera even more comfortable. There is a Cutter Crusher anti-theft steel cable uses steel wire in the strap to prevent strap cutting. It uses a friction eliminating, genuine stainless steel bearing that provides for better spinning with less unwanted swaying. The fully adjustable strap allows the camera to glide easily along the strap. The camera hangs at the side over the back and can be hoisted quickly, safely and ready to shoot. When not in use the camera will hang comfortably at the side or behind you depending on how you position the strap.

Note! All Sniper straps with Steel wire in the strap are insured for 1 year, for up to $500.00 in the event of theft of camera by strap cutting

Strap Basics

Holds SLR camera with attached lens or lens only

A shock absorber is integrated in the strap and makes carrying the camera even more comfortable

Cutter Crusher steel cable that uses steel wire in the strap to prevent strap cutting

Friction eliminating, genuine stainless steel bearing for better spinning with less unwanted swaying

Fully adjustable strap allows the camera to glide easily along the strap

Camera hangs at the side over the back and can be hoisted quickly, safely and ready to shoot

Strap will stay comfortably in place on the shoulder as the camera slides along the strap on its unique sliding carabiner

The strap is fastened to the tripod socket of the camera or lens

The last time (in 2009) I was in Pattaya with a CANON EOS 450D (today it's out dated), I used it during the day and the night.

I had never seemed unsecured, I have seen some people with EOS 5D (professional camera).

Of course like everywhere it's possible that thieves stole your camera, but I think it's more dangerous to walk in this city with a gold neckleace or an expensive smart phone.

Don't walk along beach road alone during the night, and more precisely among people that you think are members of gangs. In fact, do what you would do in your own country.

Edited by Raymond38

I took my Nikon D700 and 24-70 lens kit all over Thailand and never had a problem. However, I did get tired of the weight. Now I usually travel with a Canon S95. Although I really like Nikon, I am thinking about getting a Canon 5D MkII for travel since it is significantly lighter than the D700.

• 1 year later...

I can highly recommend the BlackRapid Sport Slim strap. This takes all the weight off your neck and makes it a lot more pleasant to carry your gear around. The strap lies across your chest rather than around your neck.

I can highly recommend the BlackRapid Sport Slim strap. This takes all the weight off your neck and makes it a lot more pleasant to carry your gear around. The strap lies across your chest rather than around your neck.

Just got mine and I can agree to that. I throw one of my Panasonic bodies on it with a lens hood and I'm good to go.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton