Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

I need a proper mongering camera

onourway

In the last 2 months i have managed to destroy both my Fuji F31 & Cannon S200.

Both times it happened whilst out mongering in Pattaya.

The Fuji stopped working after a trip into the V20 iceroom, i guess it didn't like -20

The Cannon was knocked off a low table and fell about 50 cms, after that the lens packed up but there's no visible signs of damage.

So what have i learned, i need a camera which is small, shock proof, water proof & can generally withstand hanging out with Desperate Dan type clud on a hardcore Soi6 mongering trip... probably good if it don't cost a fortune, i'll probably have the next one nicked in a ST room...

I was advised to look at the Olympus Mju 770SW , which is not the sexiest looking bitch in the camera shop but, the features seem to be about right for my needs. Anyone have one of these or any tips for a camera with similar features?

My Kodak also got f***** up. Probably stayed in Ice room at V20 too long. So frustrating though

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html

Similar to what Woody has. You need something robust. Not a slip in the shirt pocket type.

I use a Sony T33 & not that happy with it. It's crap at night.

Rocky,

Thanks for the link but, i don't want an SLR for this mission.

I need a little number which fits in my jeans pocket but is a tough as a hummer. i'm prepared to suffer loss of pix quality & fancy dan features in exchange for something that bounces back if dropped or splashed with an attitude which says "i'm harder than that", this bastard's only purpose is to be used in action on bar crawls & other mongering events.

The SLR looks good for proper foto's, this is just for bar & action shots...

Cheers Sanch

I have the Olympus Mju 725sw and lasted me through Sonkran and this trip/stay so far

Look at the newer 770sw model can be frozen (V2O) and withstand 100pounds of pressure (fuk knows) also waterproof and shock proof

Was recommended to me on an other thread, been very happy so far the photos are not the best but overall its a decent bit of kit

I use my elph, Canon Powershot SD400, this thing has been dropped, thrown, gone for a brief swim in pattaya beach water, and always recovered, and takes great photos, the damn thing is small, and you can carry it with you all the time, i love the damn thing, the battery seems to last forever, takes the SD memory cards, great flash, and also with 5 mega pixel is good for eight by ten photos, i have a lot of them printed out now.

I will try to hunt another one down when i get to dubai next month on my way to LOS. Now its not designed to put up with any of the crap i put it through, but the damn thing is like an rabbit, keeps on hopping......

I said Jim Beam and Coke, not J & B and coke, silly TG............

i think you need one of these and a hawaiian shirt

Hi Dirty,

I have the Olympus 770 sw, and I'm very pleased with it... It performed brilliantly at songkran this year, is shockproof, pocket size, and waterproof to 10 mtrs... (housing available to take it down to 40 mtrs...) it takes movie clips, and has a vast range of specially programmed feature shots and FX... sepia, sequential, shake reduction and full auto... with the right card, panorama shots can be combined, and extra movie FX are available, ( 3D!)

I've never used a digital camera before, or the download software, but I found that I was easily able to download and edit the shots on my first trip report and avatar...

I can thouroughly recomend this camera.

Murgatroyd

"I have passed blamelessly through life doing nought but good deeds, and I am beloved by all whose path I have crossed. It is beyond comprehension that anyone could nurture in their hearts hostile feelings for me." Genevive Dieudonne. Vampire. ("Anno Dracula" by Kim Newman)

Guys,

Many thanks for all the good reviews & advice on what camera a dozzy pratt like me should get (shock proof & beer proof being top of the list of features).

I spent 90 minutes in Sim Lim Mall Singapore, which is a great place to pick-up electronics, especially if you like to haggle with the local vendors...

I tried every model Cannon, Nikon, Olympus, Casio, Sony & Samsung trying to be sure which model was my best choice.

In the end i decide against the 770SW mainly due to the image quality under flash & i chose the Sony T100.

Its black colour and looks like a hard nut but, probably before the weekends over, i'll be crying about dropping it into a pint of beer on Soi6...

Review to follow after i have road tested it.

cheers Sanch

Rocky,

Thanks for the link but, i don't want an SLR for this mission.

I need a little number which fits in my jeans pocket but is a tough as a hummer. i'm prepared to suffer loss of pix quality & fancy dan features in exchange for something that bounces back if dropped or splashed with an attitude which says "i'm harder than that", this bastard's only purpose is to be used in action on bar crawls & other mongering events.

The SLR looks good for proper foto's, this is just for bar & action shots...

Cheers Sanch

I looked at cameras here in the states, to get exactly the kind of camera your talking about. I ended up buying a Casio Exilim ZX-1050. Its a 10.1 mega pixel, with awesome picture settings, anti-shake, 25mb internal memory, has picture settings for all your needs. Automatic light detection, built in photo and text editor. Smaller than a wallet, but excellent quality pics. As well, digital video recording with built in mic, for up to 30 minutes of video, that changes as you increase the memory card of course. Rechargable battery good for up to 400 pics, and you can store at least twice that many depending on the quality of the pics you choose. Excellent camera for day trips, and doing a little undercover work. Price is about $250 American. The only comparative camera I found next to the Casio that I own, would be the Sony Cybershot DSC-N2. Same pixel ratio, but supposed to be a little better as far as the anti-shake goes, and has a 35 mb internal storage capacity. I chose the Casio, and I am extremely pleased with the quality of the pics. You can see a freckle on a girl's ass from across the room. So Personally I think its one of the best lightweight, pocket size, all around cameras.

• 8 months later...

I use a Canon G9 except when I go to the bars. My bar camera is a Nikon Coolpix S50, which has been bulletproof.

I use a panasonic fx-33 lumix. Dropped it several times on Walking st, down the stairs in Secrets and it never stopped working. Its 8mp and has very good motion picture recording.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - "it was just the internet.." is not an excuse.

I wanted a compact digital camera that I could put in my front pocket, great pictures and affordable. I found a Kodak Easy Share V1233. 12.0 mega pixels and a 3X zoom. It is about the size of my cell phone, can hold 4GB memory cards and cost about $200. Haven't taken a lot of video yet but the pictures are great.

Edited by HDMuffDiver

Have just bought a Cannon Sureshot A560 . I think there must be a new model on the horizon as they have dropped in price somewhat . It takes good shots but have yet to try poor light/ night shots yet. It has a manual ISO override so that may help in poorlight situations. Plus it has a viewfinder which seems to be dissappearing from a lot of new compacts in favour of thumb stained viewer screens. At $ 200 AUD or less if you loose it or it stuffs up it isn't a great drama .

babydollsaddict.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using a Canon IXUS 5.0 for the last 4+ years and I've dragged the thing through hell and back - trekking through the Sahara, up the Nile, through Ugandan mountain rain forests - lot's of long, hot, dusty truck rides. The little unit keeps on running.

The controls are easy. Original battery still holds lots of juice, but the camera doesn't give a battery warning until it is down to 1 or 2 shots. So I bought a second, same quality battery for US$20, and a friend bumped the SD card up to 2mb. I can take over 700 superfine, large scale shots, or tons of video. The video quality is medium in low light, and good in strong light; the mike is not great.

It looks dorky, but I use a velcro-close belt pouch. It keeps the camera secure, but easily available for those spontaneous shots.

Canon makes some higher pixel cameras in the IXUS series. Check it out.

"Fear women - and save your life"

Accra taxi motto

I use a similar Lumiz,

Being such a small camera, it is ok in the pocket in a protective sleeve (I always bag or sleeve my cameras). First class pics in the idiot mode (my mode) in just about all lighting. It's no SLR but it suits me.

Liam

• 1 year later...

I would recommend these two cameras. The 7.2 mega pixel Casio Exilim EX-Z75. (If you can still find them) It a small thin camera that take great photos. I have had mine for over two years and, it hasn't failed me yet. I also have a 10.1 mega pixel Olympus Stylus 1030SW. It's waterproof/shockproof and freezeproof. I almost forgot to add that the damn thing is even crushproof. The body is made of stainless steel and, the HyperCrystal LCD display is easy to see in the sunlight. The 1030SW takes outstanding photos. It's now my goto camera.

I bought a 600 Baht digital camera 4 years ago in Tuk Com..New with Micro...It has been kicked, dropped, soaked in whiskey, abused and still works great...Great for those drunken mongers and if lost its no big deal...Good close ups of the pussys and has a flash..Max photos are 50 but enough for an all nighter...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll be taking a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS on my virgin trip to Pattaya in a few weeks. Some of the highlights...

-12.1 Mega Pixels (this is important if you want to blow up the picture and not loose the quality)

-Takes pictures AND video

-8GB Memory Card (needed a good bit of memory if you don't want do download pix onto your computer daily to free up space)

-Image Stabilizer

-Case Logic neoprene carrier (fits camera inside nicely and is perfect for carrying in your pocket)

I have a Nikon D60, but no way would I take that...not really needed. This camera will work great. I got mine from Best Buy on sale for about $80. As for durability, I wouldn't throw it against a wall and expect it to work, but I haven't had any issues with it thus far. It has survived Afghanistan, so I think it will do just fine in Thailand.

Best of luck finding something to fit your needs.

• 3 months later...

I'll be taking a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS on my virgin trip to Pattaya in a few weeks. Some of the highlights...

-12.1 Mega Pixels (this is important if you want to blow up the picture and not loose the quality)

-Takes pictures AND video

-8GB Memory Card (needed a good bit of memory if you don't want do download pix onto your computer daily to free up space)

-Image Stabilizer

-Case Logic neoprene carrier (fits camera inside nicely and is perfect for carrying in your pocket)

I have a Nikon D60, but no way would I take that...not really needed. This camera will work great. I got mine from Best Buy on sale for about $80. As for durability, I wouldn't throw it against a wall and expect it to work, but I haven't had any issues with it thus far. It has survived Afghanistan, so I think it will do just fine in Thailand.

Best of luck finding something to fit your needs.

Agreed, I'm looking at buying the 780 for for my trip this august. I have a 890 that I took over last November, but it's pretty banged up and has a scratch on the lens (in my pocket with keys).

What I really like about the 780 is it's so small, can fit in a shirt pocket. Also had a 20D that I'll be bring along with 2 lenses. Want to really focus on getting so good photos this trip.

• 1 month later...

sony tx5...

Trying to Stay Out Of Trouble, But It Isn't Working