IGNORED

carrying a dslr around

jim2k

I'm looking to get the nikon d3100 for my next trip. i usually bring a point and shoot but it's not capturing the scenery pics well. it's okey for girl pics up close but night shoots outside suck. well my quesou go out at nighttion is for guys that bring dslr cameras to LOS. do you carry them with you when y or just day time stuff and in room. also do you just have it hanging around your neck or in a bag and is it to bulky. I'd hate to invest in it and lose it. thanks for any info

later

Jim2k

Fortunately the D3100 is a fairly lightweight camera, particularly if you are using the 18-55 kit lens, and the quite sharp 55-200.

I think, though, that it's about the maximum amount of camera gear that you would want to carry around.

If you use reasonable caution you should be fine. However, if you tend to imbibe and get "fuzzy" you may want to hire a Sherpa to keep an eye on your gear. :D

You can probably fit the D3100 and the small lens in most of the room safes, though I would suggest the PacSafe lockup equipment a better alternative http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

I recently spent 40 days in Thailand with nothing but a Panasonic LX3, even though I have Nikon DSLRs, and was very pleased with the results. I carried it slung around my shoulder all the time, though even with an extension tube to attach filters it's still quite small.

I've seen guys in Pattaya with their DSLRs attached to them day and night, but it's always something of an issue to keep an eye on the stuff. I don't like bags myself, unless I'm on the plane or moving equipment about, and prefer to carry my camera by my side.

The D3100 is a very nice camera, though it is a bit fiddly in that you have to go into the menu system to get anything done. However, the "live view" function is nice, and you can make some good videos with the D3100. The 18-55 is tack sharp, and if you have the one with the VR function your good to go in low light.

good luck,

David G.

Fortunately the D3100 is a fairly lightweight camera, particularly if you are using the 18-55 kit lens, and the quite sharp 55-200.

I think, though, that it's about the maximum amount of camera gear that you would want to carry around.

If you use reasonable caution you should be fine. However, if you tend to imbibe and get "fuzzy" you may want to hire a Sherpa to keep an eye on your gear. :D

You can probably fit the D3100 and the small lens in most of the room safes, though I would suggest the PacSafe lockup equipment a better alternative http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

I recently spent 40 days in Thailand with nothing but a Panasonic LX3, even though I have Nikon DSLRs, and was very pleased with the results. I carried it slung around my shoulder all the time, though even with an extension tube to attach filters it's still quite small.

I've seen guys in Pattaya with their DSLRs attached to them day and night, but it's always something of an issue to keep an eye on the stuff. I don't like bags myself, unless I'm on the plane or moving equipment about, and prefer to carry my camera by my side.

The D3100 is a very nice camera, though it is a bit fiddly in that you have to go into the menu system to get anything done. However, the "live view" function is nice, and you can make some good videos with the D3100. The 18-55 is tack sharp, and if you have the one with the VR function your good to go in low light.

good luck,

David G.

Excellent thats the kind of advice i was looking for. I never use the room safe. I purchased the daysafe 100 from pac safe. it's my carry on and when i get to my room i usually pull tht inner sleeve out and lock it under the bathroom sink around the pipes. i like it alot and it stores a lot too