Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Calling your home country from Thailand

missinginaction

I'm sure this may have been covered on other topics. But I did a search and couldnt really find the answer.

I plan to come to Thailand in January. I don't plan on telling people back home that i'm coming to thailand for obvious reasons. I do however need to keep in touch on a regular basis with a little more than txt and email. I have used voip services in the past and they are ok if you are in a hotel with good internet. But on this trip I plan to travel to a few more remote locations where I may not have good voip.

Anyone got any ideas how I can call back to the UK and not show a +66 number? I guess I could use my UK vodafone phone, which I think will show my uk number is calling. But i've never tried this. And it could land me in some sh1t if it suddenly displays a thai number.

if you use your Uk mobile it will not show as a Thai number

Also if you get one of the calling cards from 7/11 or family mart you can use a thai mobile to call the access number and the number they see at the other end is a random number as the call is routed via the internet

the calling card would be the cheaper option obviously , plus many small towns etc now have many internet cafes with Skype etc

Thanks for that. The calling card option sounds a great option as long as there is no chance the number shown displays thailand. I might give that a go and test it out on a few mates first.

The internet cafe option is a bit of a nogo though beacause its likely there could be other people talking in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm..never thought of this...has anyone from the USA tried to file an un-employment claim, while outside the USA??? Could you use skype, and get away with it????Just was wondering...ill be off for 1 month...we dont get vacation pay, but we file un-employment..knowing we will be back to work in a month.

MavSig2.gif

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="100" width="200" data="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_3.swf">'>http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_3.swf">

<param name="movie" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/cdt2_3.swf" />

<param name="base" value="http://www.usflashmap.com/component/cdt_new/" />

<param name="flashvars" value="

&timer=3&

&time_template=3:ss;2:mm;1:hh;0:dd&

&time_color=0x000000&

&label_color=0x000000&

&background_color=0xffffff&

&flare_view=true&

&time_label=d:DAY;h:HOUR;m:MIN;s:SEC&

&time_zone=(GMT -09:00) Alaska&

&event_time=year:2011;month:4;day:15;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_duration=year:0;month:0;day:0;hour:0;minute:0;seconds:0&

&event_recursion=hourly&

&event_bg_image=-&

&bg_image=-&

&onpress_url=-&

&event_onpress_url=-&

&title=Mavic's Cherry trip&

&event_title=event&

&sound_file=-&

&event_sound_file=-&

&transparent=true&

" />

<param name="quality" value="high" />

<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

<param name="scale" value="noscale" />

<param name="salign" value="lt" />

</object>

I have always used my vodafone uk number and paid the very large bill on return... It would only encourage questions about why I wasn't using my number also she knows she can call anytime if she needs to speak.

Get your story correct and ensure you know the tome differences uk to the country you say you are in mine was the Yemen and Qatar and obviously I had my story and times on my iPhone ready when she called or I called her.

Be careful if you have a snooping woman use your number don't risk it just say you will call for a min every day or so and be careful of gifts you buy her etc... The list goes on and on.... Twenty trips to Los and she is still none the wiser!

I have always used my vodafone uk number and paid the very large bill on return... It would only encourage questions about why I wasn't using my number also she knows she can call anytime if she needs to speak.

Get your story correct and ensure you know the tome differences uk to the country you say you are in mine was the Yemen and Qatar and obviously I had my story and times on my iPhone ready when she called or I called her.

Be careful if you have a snooping woman use your number don't risk it just say you will call for a min every day or so and be careful of gifts you buy her etc... The list goes on and on.... Twenty trips to Los and she is still none the wiser!

I like your style. I guess the expensive phone bill is worth every penny if you get away with it.

Do you leave your phone on all the time the? Any idea what happens if its switched off for a period (or not connected to network) and someone tries to call? Do they get some message back in thai? This is one thing that concerns me.I really dont want to get caught out.

• 3 weeks later...

I do the same as PawYai.

I take my Vodafone sim out after I've called my Mrs. I've tried calling my phone from my Thai sim and it just goes onto the Vodafone voicemail service.

Hi there look into AT&T World Wide Service I used it the last Time I went to Thailand , all I did was sign up before I left and I used my phone when I got to Thailand , everything was added to my regular bill at home , very easy to do everything was done before I left on my trip

• 2 months later...

if you use your Uk mobile it will not show as a Thai number

Also if you get one of the calling cards from 7/11 or family mart you can use a thai mobile to call the access number and the number they see at the other end is a random number as the call is routed via the internet

the calling card would be the cheaper option obviously , plus many small towns etc now have many internet cafes with Skype etc

How much does it cost on the calling card exactly to call the uk? if you dial 009 on 123 go sim you get it for 6/7 baht per minute which is still to expensive. I have found that skype is a big problem and localphone.com incoming numbers are a waste of space. is there a cheaper sim card i can get?